Your favorite game- for the STORY?

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Battle field :: Bad company, Resident evil series, F.E.A.R 1+2 , Bioshock, The darkness, Portal, Half life etc...

Im not a fussy gamer.

DreamKing

Aug 14, 2008
Words fail to justify how mindblowing the story was for the first ActRaiser was for the Super Nintendo. I thought I was going to cry during the ending.

ChainsawEnima

Mar 19, 2009
For the story? Hmm, I would have to go with YOSHI'S STORY

Just kidding. [Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem] is my true choice.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Pumpkin_Eater said:
I guess System Shock 2. It has the best villain I've ever seen in any medium.
fenixrising said:
eternal darkness. i love the lovecraft tinge to it all. more lovecraft in games i say!
I heartily endorse both of those suggestions (although I would extend SS2 to SS as well).

That said, I'm going to add a couple. One caveat: since you said 'favorite game for the STORY', I'm not going to look at it so much as "what game I thought had the coolest, most original story as I sat back and thought about it" so much as I'm going to make my choices based upon what story was "cool, interesting, gripping, and really immersive to me as I was playing the game".

If that's the case, then I also have to suggest:
the Half-Life series
the Myth series
the Thief series
Legacy of Kain series
Warcraft, et al.
Diablo, et al.
Marathon series
Oddworld series

...and I have this feeling I'm forgetting one important one, but I can't put my finger on it right now...

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Oblivion IMO had not one, but 5 great storylines. I would say MGS but it seems every game I lose track of what's happening right at the end.

Jolan_BG

Mar 17, 2009
My first choice will be Mass Effect since you can modify the main character and feel that the guy/girl there is actually you.
The other story I really liked was that of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit.It began with a slow pace, then sped up and the ending was mindblowing since literally more than half the story is stuffed in the last hour or so.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
KOTOR (II over I because I prefer the many shades of grey Darker & Grittier content over the more black vs. white story in I, the dialogue with Kreia alone was fantastic.)

Warcraft and WoW, some of it is LOLlore (*cough* space goats and "Alliance Thrall" *cough*) but most of it is great.

Halo, especially the Covenant backstory and the Arbiter's slow realization that the Prophets are evil. I especially appreciate the minimalism-- they convey a lot of character development in glances and short phrases and generally resist the urge to overdo (example: "were it so easy" at the end, it conveys everything about the trust John and Arby had come to have in each other). Love the fact that you don't *need* the novels, but they put in enough content in H3 that you're rewarded if you did (all of Cortana's interspersed dialogue, especially "it's the coin's fault"). I haven't played through Halo Wars yet (RTS, really really not my genre), but I kind of worry about it from a story perspective, Bungie has done such a nice job with the lore and I'm not sure how it'll be handled now that it's in others' hands.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
-Silent Hill 2
-Xenogears
-Chrono Trigger
-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
-Final Fantasy Tactics

To be fair, I haven't checked out Silent Hill 3 yet, and I haven't finished Shadow of Destiny.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus, if a great "story" can be more about creating emotion than saying stuff with words.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne. While MP1 had a great story in its own right, MP2 was simply amazing. The amount of detail put into the plot really made you feel for the characters.

sora100100

Mar 5, 2009
Kingdom Hearts or Resident Evil franchises

Also Final Fantasy (all of them apart from XI and XII. They don't exsist in my book)

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
Shadow of Memories (I think it's called Shadow of Destiny in the US) - it left me speechless.

In my opinion, while lots of action/adventure games have great stories, the best ones are to be found in pure adventure games, where the story is the game. Most of them were good games, so to have a list of the ones with good stories would be pointless. It is sad that the adventure game genre is in such a decline.

ilikepie59

Dec 4, 2008
Ok, now, I reckon I'll get a few angry responses for this, but I'm just throwing it out there...

The Eve Online backstory

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I think it's really interesting, the extra little stories that you can read on the site.

I don't know how it compares to other stories mentioned here, because I haven't played most of them (I'm shallow, I prefer gameplay over story)

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
DareArkin said:
Wait, they're actually making a sequel? Thought that was a rumor.

....How can they continue that one? Didn't we end it in the game...?
For starters Bioshock is the Second part of a trilogy and comes right after the systemshock.
So considering that its a TRIlogy, it's only natural for the THIRD part to be in development :)