Your favorite game reviewers

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
In this forum I was told to check out The Act Man. And, I am so glad I did. The guy is terrific. Do you have an online game commentator your would recommend?

Actman: example

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stop the Skeletons From Fighting (formally the Happy Video Game Nerd).

Cheerful guy; makes fun, engaging and meaningful content.

Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I would suggest Many a True Nerd, though he's not primarily a channel about reviewing games, or critiquing them. But he has done several, feature length videos, on some games, and discussed the pros and cons of them. Mostly the various Fallout titles, but he's still got a good, critical eye. What he often will do however, is try out a new game, and do like a 30-60 minute video on it, and then, at the end, he'll give his thoughts on if it's something he liked, or didn't, and why. But as far as just, reviews, it's not the main thrust of his content. He mostly focuses on LP's of various titles that he likes, but he is known to ramble for a bit, mid session, about a quirk or feature he really hates/loves.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Honestly Im so disillusioned with the idea of game reviewers. They're either secretly being paid for their reviews, work for a website that openly changes their reviews and wont let them be too negative because they might lose their E3 hotel sex room privileges, or they're straight up creeps preying on their editors/contributors/fans.
Like Im struggling to think of a reviewer, an actual calls themselves a reviewer not just a Lets Player, who you can point at and say yes, this is a honest and hard working decent human, and I would trust small children around them.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Tim Rogers for sure. More than a game reviewer the guy recreates the entire adolescent period and (pop)cultural backdrop when the game originally came out. So eloquently and vividly expressed like real life memories are put in service of a particular videogame. Unless you are of similar age I don't think you can really appreciate the brilliance. Like in his FF8 review who remembers '''the car'' in the FF8 videogame magazines ad and who actually won ''the car''? I remember this was such a part of the FF8 experience but unless you lived it you will never know.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Sounds like a weird thing to have a favourite of and therefor I don't have one.

I don't watch or read reviews either, really.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Pretty much only follow Zero Punctuation and Super Bunnyhop. I absorb a lot of recommendations through, like, cultural osmosis, especially on Twitter.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a number of people I like to listen to their reviews, but I don't consider them reviewers primarily.

Off the top of my head, Writng on Games, Superbunnyhop, Adam Millard, GMTK, Zero Punctuation. I've also enjoyed Mattowmatosis talk about Zelda and Mario and Metal Gear in his reviews, even if they go on a bit long.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The Escapist! Obviously! You traitors!

Kidding aside I'm being totally serious when I say I dig the 3 minute reviews on here. I think in a way that constraint forces the reviewer to not wax poetic, spending too much time excusing this or defending that. So far that series seems very honest. I hope it stays that way.

I also watch the gameranx "before you buy" videos sometimes, angry joe and IGN, but I don't take them seriously. I'll watch them in the background while working if I'm interested in a particular game.

Lately on a whole I've felt betrayed by the game review community. I watch reviews more to get an idea of what the game is rather than "is it good?". A lot of my favorite games are 7/10 or even 6/10. They're buggy or indie but hit some special button on me I love them.

I think the Cyberpunk launch really showed how disingenuous all the large outlets are. I also hate that influencers hide behind saying they are "not" reviewers, but are clearly influencing your decision to buy because they are literally being paid to buy studios.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I highly recommend WhiteLight and Raycevick too. They're top-tier quality reviewers and analyzers. Sphere Hunter is amazing too; that gal knows how to give deep details.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
There's a number of people I like to listen to their reviews, but I don't consider them reviewers primarily.

Off the top of my head, Writng on Games, Superbunnyhop, Adam Millard, GMTK, Zero Punctuation. I've also enjoyed Mattowmatosis talk about Zelda and Mario and Metal Gear in his reviews, even if they go on a bit long.
What about CriticalGaming?

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seraphim 17. He's less of a reviewer, but has done a few, and mainly does high difficulty walkthroughs or self imposed challenges. I highly recommend him when playing Hard modes/Harder than Hard modes.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I've kinda stopped checking game reviews. I remember as a teen I used to check Gamespy and RPGFan a fair bit.

I suppose I do check out Zero Punctuation weekly, but that's mostly for entertainment. I have checked up some of penguinz0's Moist Meter lately, but it covers more than just games and it was also just to pass the time rather than getting an opinion on whether I should get a game or not.

The closest thing to reviews influencing my buying decision is just scrolling down Steam Reviews to get a general gist of what's up with a game. Generally this is just to check if its irredeemably garbage or broken.

Some online content creators do influence me to check out some games I guess. I enjoy Spiffing Brit's videos on how he breaks games, and it can get me curious about a game. I watch way too many Vtubers and sometimes they stream some games which can get me interested.