your favorite game that got destroyed by crappy sequels?

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Harb said:
Febel said:
targren said:
Phishfood said:
Deus ex, although they have at least partially redeemed themselves.
Oh gods. Invisible War was an abomination upon man and nature...
What? How? When? Deus Ex 2: Human Revolution has just been released and it's quite good :).
Deus Ex: Human revolution is a prequel not a sequel and they are talking about the actual sequal to Deus Ex called Invisible War. It wasn't terrible but pales in comparison to the original or Human Revolution.
There is no sequel to Deus Ex. Don't know what you are talking about. Invisible War? What's that?[/quote]

...Feigning ignorance won't make it go away. And it doesn't really work very well over a text medium.

Harb

May 2, 2010
Febel said:
...Feigning ignorance won't make it go away. And it doesn't really work very well over a text medium.
I know, I know...but with Invisible War I WILL make an exception :).

This also covers my first post about Deus Ex. I'm well aware how things are :). Just thinking if I ever reach the state of absolute denial and ignorance it may make IW go away. MiB neuralyzer anyone?

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
tunderball said:
Difficult question really well Pokemon have added far too many pokemon now that its gotten silly, still good games but if I'm going to play Pokemon its because I want to see a few of my old favourites and soak in the nostalgia and not play through a poor 20 hour story so I can finally catch a Poliwag! I'm looking at you Black & White.
'
Now now, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

The pokemon series had to come up with something new every generation, or people wouldn't get interested. If no new pokemon were added, what would be the point of the new generation? And why would Nintendo just let their second most successful series die? Adding new pokemon is just as integral to the series as everything else. To say otherwise is to be incredibly stupid.

Back on topic, Jax & Daxter is definitely the big candidate. Jak 2 and 3 don't even belong in the franchise...

Final Fantasy is assured. With the exception of Final Fantasy IX, which was meant to emulate the earlier ones and had excellent characters, Final Fantasy turned down the path of shit when they started on the PS1.

Thankfully, one of my favorite game series, Sly Cooper, improved with its sequels. All 3 games were excellent. I sincerely hope Sanzaru does well enough with Sly 4 that it won't be added to this list.

targren

May 13, 2009
mrmooninnod said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Jak and Daxter.

Yes, I said it. I loved the first game, with its lush, green forests and its old-school platforming gameplay done so incredibly well. Not to mention the game world itself:
YES! I'm so glad someone else feels this way (I've even taken to referring to JAK II as "GTA Furry City"). The original was excellent. Simple, expansive, FUN, and with lots of collectibles: everything a platformer should be.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Mackheath said:
Aww. *puts away The Castrating Disemboweler*

The Rayman series. Hands dow.
^

Dear god. Who honestly released a MINIGAME PACK at FULL PRICE on PS2 and PC?
That's just heathen to the max.

Oh yeah, and Jak and Daxter too. Perhaps more so. I'm referring to The Lost Frontier, by the way, not the 2nd and 3rd or X. Those three were fine.

Oh yeah! Crash bandicoot. It tops everything. No contest allowed.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I guess maybe No More Heroes sort of count (I still like it but it wasn't as great as the first one due to the wrong changes).
I'd wait until the third one comes out to pass full judgement but yeah I'd agree with this 2 kinda dropped the ball but I was also hyped as hell for this game

Quebkim

Aug 29, 2011
Soulblade. This is the very first game in the series that would go on to become Soulcalibur. The characters were less caricature and it has the only good story mode in any fighting game I've ever played. Also, it had weapon damage, were if you blocked, your blade took a little damage, it it ran out of health, you lost it. It made every block a tactical decision and I really feel the series is worse because of it. Also, Soulcalibur 4 if really bad and throws are broken in it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jessta said:
Honestly I've never understood how a game could become any less good simply because there was another game with a similar theme that wasn't as good... If a games good its good and a game being killed simply because of its sequel is the same as a sequel being good simply because its predecessor was good IMO, it doesn't work that way! although Fianl fantasy XIII dampened my view of the final fantasy series and square enix as a whole if that's what you mean
It's not the game that get's ruined, it's the franchise/series it belongs to. A crappy sequel will dampen, if not outright kill, any potential interest I may have in any game that comes after it, assuming any does. Any previous games that came before that I thought were awesome, still remain awesome.
Toriver said:
Alas, poor Sonic...

After the abomination that was Sonic '06, nobody seems to be even giving him a fair chance anymore. The fanbase is FUBAR, full of stubborn people who will either defend or condemm any given title to their last breath, including going so far as to defend Sonic '06. But as I was saying, after that game, there seems to be a very large chunk of the gaming community who have decided that the franchise is dead and all subsequent Sonic games are futile attempts at revival, no matter how good the game may actually be. Combined with actual Sonic fans who may be pissed at any small part of the game, that's quite a vocal tidal wave that automatically crashes down on any current-gen title. Generations looks quite promising, actually, but I fear that promise may get drowned in the tidal wave spawned by that one sequel from five years ago.
Yes I think Sonic '06 was indeed the point in which Sonic lost his way, although I will say that I thought that game had plenty of potential. Granted, I never actually finished it. However as far as I did get on it, did find my self genuinely drawn into the story. That Mephalis character in particular intrigued me and I wanted to find out more about him. However my frustration with the bloody train level became greater than my curiosity (as well as that stupid dock level in Silver's story).

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Crash Bandicoot. Naughty Dog made an amazing franchise, and everyone else following has proceeded to rape it brutally.

But let's get one thing clear, 'cause I'm tired of this; bad sequels do not ruin good games. Bad adaptations do not ruin the source material. The first three Crash games and CTR are still amazing, despite having awful games after them. Avatar: The Last Airbender is still an amazing show even though the movie adaptation was awful. The Matrix is still one of the best sci-fi action films out there, despite the second and especially third ones being crap. Just to clarify.

Buttmunch Chicken

Aug 15, 2011
newdarkcloud said:
Buttmunch Chicken said:
Crash Bandicoot. Hands down. The 1st one was the first game I owned, the second improved, and the third was a classic. Then Sony kicked out Naughty Dog and it all went to hell.

The first game sucked, though, but nostalgia.
Yes, every game past CTR got worse and worse. However, Sony never kicked out Naughty Dog. It was just the opposite, they bought Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog left the rights with Universal to focus on other games.

Still, I'd be nice to see a GOOD crash game come out on the newer consoles.
I forgot about CTR. A better go-kart game than even Mario-Kart in my opinion. I kinda feel the way about Crash that a lot of people feel about Sonic, though. Just let the old boy down, euthanize him and stop putting him through so much pain and suffering. He needs to be let go... :(

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
mrmooninnod said:
the short version is if you like a game in a franchise like command and conquer but it got a shitty sequel this is the place for you to vent your frustrations ( please don't kill me I'm new to the site)
Yeh man C&C-4 just... ruined it. Still a faithful follower of Kane though. Long live The Brotherhood!

ppsh41

Aug 18, 2011
Deus Ex, I played 2 hours of invisible war, then quit and never turned bak, HR is good i must say.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: SOC was awesome, CS was dissapoint and COP made up in gameplay but the map was too darn small.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Wild Arms. LOVED the first game, and the second was good, but the PS2 installments just didn't do it for me.

Buttmunch Chicken

Aug 15, 2011
EcoEclipse said:
Buttmunch Chicken said:
Crash Bandicoot. Hands down. The 1st one was the first game I owned, the second improved, and the third was a classic. Then Sony kicked out Naughty Dog and it all went to hell.

The first game sucked, though, but nostalgia.
Sony didn't kick them out. Naughty Dog and Insomniac left Universal Interactive Studios (which was then bought by Vivendi, which is now merged into Activision Blizzard), where they had worked in the same building, and Universal kept the rights to both Crash and Spyro. Activision's subsidiary Sierra Entertainment (now absorbed into Activision Blizzard) holds the rights to both games, and is making shitty reboots and sequels with them.

I guess it can be deduced that my 'favorite game destroyed by crappy sequels' is Spyro. I also feel similarly about Crash, but I like Spyro about a hundred times more.

[small][Fun Fact! Out of Sony's "platformer trio," Insomniac is the only company still independent. But for how long, I wonder?][/small]
You're right. I forgot about Spyro and Sparx. I miss that series too. There was, like, one fun game on the PS2, but yeah. Spyro, Ripto's Rage, and Year of the Dragon are all classic, and were a huge part of my childhood.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
-Armored Core
It pretty much all went to shit from Armored Core: Nexus onward, where the focus of the game became gimmick after gimmick.
AC4 did redeem the series somewhat, but I don't own a PS3 or 360, so I didn't get into it.

-Kingdom Hearts
Starting with KH2...yeah. The one everyone fucking loved.
And really, it wasn't the core gameplay (which was...odd in how it was balanced) but rather, the plot..I can't even properly describe it, but the first game's tone was set up perfectly from start to finish.
The second game didn't reach nearly the same level for me.

-Final Fantasy Tactics
FFTA ended this one for me...I liked the political atmosphere of Ivalice, and the seriousness of the story (without it becoming too dry or boring). So naturally, Squeenix had to churn out a fairly tepid "kiddy-version" because it was on the GBA. Don't get me wrong; FFTA isn't terrible. It's pretty decent for gameplay, but the story was just STUPID (oh you go Marche. You go and act like a condescending twat to your crippled brother).
What makes this sting even more is what happened to Ivalice AFTER FFTA: FF12.
Ugh..

-"Mana" series.
Yeah, I'm still picking on Squeenix. But they really did use the Mana franchise as a "shitty game dumping ground" for a few titles after Legend of Mana before just burying it forever.

HerbertTheHamster said:
X-com

anything after tftd was terrible, with the exception of apocalypse which was decent.
Terror From the Deep is just a reskin of XCOM 1...but with all the player's weapons nerfed into shittiness.

Oh, and Lobstermen. Fuck Lobstermen. Fuck them with a Thermal Shock Lance.

I found Apocalypse to be better than most of XCOM 1, actually.
Psionics was far less broken, and the environments were pretty damned cool (albeit, cartoon-y).

an874

Jul 17, 2009
The budding Dragon Age series, which started with great potential in Origins, reintroducing Baldur's Gate style games to the modern era and going in it's own direction. Dragon Age 2 took that and made a whole bunch of changes to gameplay and story that didn't need to happen. Granted, they couldn't tell the same "save the world" story twice in a row, and honestly it's not a terrible game by itself, but as a follow up to Origins it falls really short. I hope another sequel comes to fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.