Your favorite Game Universe.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Throwing my lot in with the 40k crowd. Yeah it's a damned awful place to live. But from a lore and exploration standpoint it's a lot of fun.

Also, I loved the Exalted universe from White Wolf Games.
That was probably one of the most original and entertaining fantasy settings I've had the pleasure of playing in.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
I've always found the Zelda Universe to be rather interesting. Each game adds a new element to the lore, but it still all pieces together. A bit roughly at times, but hey. Of the Zelda games, Majora's Mask is my favourite universe, because it takes place in a different, well, universe. There are different deities, different areas, different cultures, and yet it's all distinctly "Zelda." I think that what makes it most effective is that even though the same races are there, it takes them and places them in entirely new light. It's the Uncanny of the Zelda mythos. Termina is like Hyrule, only... different.

Then of course there's the Souls series. Dark Souls in particular, because I didn't get into Demon's Souls as much as Dark Souls (burned through it in about 30 hours then went back to playing Dark Souls).
Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director for Demon's/ Dark Souls, said that "A well designed world could tell its story in silence." I think that is a brilliant approach to game exposition, and one he holds true to in his games. The fact that I can tell that the Darkroot Garden grew over the ruins of the ancient land of Oolacile, despite only one character even mentioning or being related to Oolacile, is amazing. And people could tell before the DLC came along and pretty much confirmed it (again only through it's geography and architecture, not through anybody's dialogue or anything).

Of course, the same applies to other games, it's not like this is unique to the Souls' series. My favourite piece of fan speculation for Majora's Mask, the Stone Tower of Babel Theory, is pretty much entirely based off of the design, architecture and symbolism used in the Stone Tower, with a few pieces of dialogue to glue it all together. I like that the story is a puzzle that you get to piece together. Not one where they reveal more and more information until the big picture comes together, but one where literally they throw you a puzzle box and leave you to figure it out on your own.