Your favorite jewel of Real Time Strategy Game

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Would you consider Rollercoaster Tycoon a RTS? Well, if so, that. 1 and 2 were GOLDEN. ... If not, I played a game called Cossacks I really liked. But I think one reason I liked it so much was because I didn't need the disc to play it.

weker

May 27, 2009
Tanakh said:
weker said:
I would call both Blood line a RTS as well, Magicka leans on it a bit. WoW share some likeness in terms of tactics choice, but doesn't propose enough alternative and doesn't have the focus on zone control. Monday Night Combat I would call a Tactical shooter and possibly add a /MOBA.

"at least i will never see it that way" Are you trying to end the discussion, as posting something like this makes it seem your attempting to kill the convo DEAD :D.
No, i am just saying that we have different PoV on the issue, I got your point but will die contending that PvP games with focus on single player avatars are not RTS.

ALSO HoN FTW! Trololol.
yer your kinda still coming across like you want it to end XD

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
The entire Dawn of War series, minus Soulstorm.

Dawn of War 1 and the Winter Assault and Dark Crusade expansions, is one of the best traditional RTS games I have ever played. Ruthless enemy AI, and great animations across a ton of different species and factions makes it stand out.

Dawn of War 2 goes in a different, but no less fantastic route. The first one had a great, if a little repetitive campaign. Chaos Rising scrapped the recycled maps, upped the story and was basically an even more awesome version of the vanilla game.

And then we get Retribution, which I consider to have one of the best single player campaigns ever designed. The maps are absolutely brilliant, and it says something that they were able to make me play through the same campaign six times with different races and never be bored.
Hey, it's what I was going to say....almost word for word. Will just add that the co-op campaign of Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions is a fantastic feature, and more RTS need to have it.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
Starcraft 2 :p Sorry, but that's truly what I think. I'm not big into RTS games, but Starcraft 2 does pretty much everything right for me. You don't need to be a micro-managing god to have fun with it, for one thing. The interface is also very polished and streamlined. In the original, a lot of what you did was compensating for the deficiencies of the interface. Only being able to select x amount of units at once, for instance. Having to tell every damn worker unit what to do. Having to tell dropships and their equivalents precisely which individual units to pick up. That sort of thing. You knew what you wanted the game to do, but the interface prevented it from happening. That isn't strategy. The person who can click the fastest there wins.

Starcraft 2 has disposed of most of that, and for that I love it. And the story is pretty great too. The single player campaign alone is totally worth the price.

If you want a less Starcafty answer, I'll give my runner up: Rise of Nations. Basically no micro-managing involved... just make a big army, upgrade everything, and send it into a meat grinder. The different ages were very fun. The variety of resources were cool. And the conquer the world campaign was an absolute hoot.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The first Command & Conquer. I don't care what game is better for whatever reasons. Although I played Dune 2 before it, it was C&C I fell in love with. It's still the most fun you can have in RTS if you ask me, and I fucking HATE what the C&C universe has become.

Honorable mention to Age of Empires 2 with the Conquerors expansion.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I won't say Starcraft,cuz it's too obvious.

What other RTS/TBS I have enjoyed is Disciples 2.When talking about RTS's in specific I would say it is a tie between Warcraft 3 and Warhammer 40k.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I do admit I'm rather happythat people here know about Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation and aknowledge their merits and flaws

Anyway:
Yokai said:
Yeah, the Supreme Commander series is pretty great. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, and now it's among my favorites.
Agreed!

Yokai said:
Otherwise, Warcraft III was a better game than Starcraft in every possible way, and the best thing Blizzard has ever put out, and probably ever will. It holds up even today.
Hmmm... I know what you mean but Warcraft was too colorful and not serious enough.

Yokai said:
Rise of Nations, and to a lesser extent, Rise of Legends, were also brilliant. [...]
I really enjoyed Rise of Nations, especially picking a Third World Country and punishing a SuperPower for its insolence. Sublime!

Rise of Legends got me on the Wrong foot I guess...
The Doge of Venucci (Main Antagonist) looks like my favorite politician (Otto von Bismarck) and during the Strategic Campaign Mode, I got pawned by his uberforces because I wanted to score a hasty victory.

Fiad said:
Awhile ago I was really into Pharaoh, a ancient Egypt based RTS city builder type game.[...]
Sounds interesting, might be worth a look.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Shogun 2: Total War

Is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. I really enjoyed the Mulitplayer mode and customizable colors for your army.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Earth 2150, one of the first polygon based RTS games. My favorite part was the completely customizable units you could create. It also featured a persistent main base that lasted throughout the campaign.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
R.U.S.E is my favorite RTS for consoles. WW2 era. It's just really well made. It's slower and very unconventional(You can see almost everything, all your enemies buildings and weather their units are heavy or light) but it works. The actual ruse special abilities are balanced and all are useful to some degree. I.e you can make fake units and buildings to fool him into air defense, and then crush him with the tanks you put under radio silence(invisible) >:D.

kazeryu

Jun 8, 2011
Sins of a solar empire I love it when I corner the computer in his last remaining planet. And then slowly destroy the planet with my full fleet, so big that I can't launch the fighters (because my computer can't keep up.

ManimalR

Jan 3, 2011
Dawn of War (with all the expansion packs, but especially Dark Crusade), Age of Mythology, Red Alert 2 (particularly with Yuri's Revenge), Earth: 2150 (along with Lost Souls) and, to a lesser extent Earth: 2160

I personally found Sins of a Solar Empire and Starcraft (1&2) to be shocking dull, but that's just my opinion

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I loved Total Annihilation, I love Supreme Commander, and I... tolerate... Supreme Commander 2. It's a step or five backwards, but some of the good stuff is still in there.

I've tried Spring:TA a number of times, but I can't stand the interface... which is why I really want this [http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=21520] when if they finish it. The current partial release is showing promise, but is little more than a demo.

Blackality

Oct 18, 2009
Sorry guys but I really have to say Starcraft 2. It's very well designed,balanced and fun.
Even if you don't like RTSs you should try it (it's partially free now).

Sprong

Nov 17, 2009
I'm glad people have been bringing up Sacrifice, I love that game. And, unlike most RTS games, it has replay value, because of the different Gods you can choose to back. A really well thought out game.

That said, I love all the Starcrafts and Warcrafts also. Not that I'd play Warcraft I anymore (but I did play it back in the day, and it was good then!).

Oh, edit: also Dawn of War. And Rome: Total War ? I enjoy the mix of turn-based and real time strategy.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
Rise of Nations!!! Glad some other people said it. I still hope another game comes along with is like it someday. Rise of Legends was interesting but not really what I wanted.

My other favourites are Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander 1 and 2, Ground Control 2. I think Ground Control 2 may be the most underrated RTS.