Your favorite lesser known band

Reman Khaar

May 26, 2011

My music may not be like... uber-undeground, but in my city I'm probably the only person who's heard of any of these bands. Ahhh, Memphis.. How I love this shithole. >_>

Reman Khaar

May 26, 2011

My music may not be like... uber-undeground, but in my city I'm probably the only person who's heard of any of these bands. Ahhh, Memphis.. How I love this shithole. >_>

thegamermn

Jan 30, 2009
The Cog Is Dead. Not only are they good. They're diverse.

From western influenced
<spoiler=Like this>
<youtube=ly6hkp9_kh0>
To mock love songs
<spoiler=Like this> <youtube=1Zozb0Xgt6U>

To..<spoiler=Whatever you'd call these><youtube=LLI7sM3naoc> <youtube=tq7XG4XOJsc> <youtube=VJ-JZeYCEeU> <youtube=b13bazEps3A>

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
There are a couple I like that have an album but mostly still just do local stuff, or tour pubs and the like. Bootscraper (folk punky goodness), Faintest Idea (ska) and Beat the Red Light (ska metal) come to mind.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
LilithSlave said:
.. All of my favourite bands are lesser known.

.... Am I a hipster.
Same here, but I think it's less because I'm a hipster and more because the radio doesn't play a lot of bluegrass or decent country. Mumford and Sons being the exception.

Hearing 200 people shout "they killed John Henry but they won't kill me" at his concert was one of the best things I've ever seen at a show.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Almost all of the stuff I listen to is 'lesser known'

As for some REALLY unknown stuff

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
PoisonUnagi said:
Venetian Snares.
I've been listening to Venetian Snares since "Greg Hates Car Culture" was released. Aaron Funk is still my favorite electronic musician. Great to see him mentioned here.

But really? "Be Your Own Pet?" "Soul Coughing?" "The Flaming Lips?"
These are not lesser-known bands people. Not unless you've been intentionally ignoring anything other than Top 40 music for the past 20 years.

My answer is "Sleeping in the Aviary," a great... Uh... Folk/punk/ballad/garage band-thing who really don't have the recognition they deserve. They're great guys too, if a bit drunk.

SeksEin

Jul 16, 2009
I don't really listen to obscure bands, but I guess the least known of the ones I do listen to would be King Crimson...

Redout9122

Jul 8, 2011
Have you heard that band Dos Gringos? They fuckin' rock.

Oh, yeah, I really like Dos Gringos. Mainly because I actually get their jokes.

Victor Cross

Feb 25, 2011
Celldweller.

It's one guy, but he plays all the instruments, does all the mixing, etc.

He did about 90% of the soundtrack to Dead Rising 2, if that means anything to anyone. He's actually done alot of stuff you've most likely heard, but just didn't know who it was. I checked a list of stuff he did. There's ALOT of stuff on there.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
SimpleJack said:
Ratatat. My work is done here.

http://youtu.be/WpGOJBbMfuM
YES!!! I'm surprised no one else posted this earlier. Though I'm kind of surprised you didn't mention 17 Years. That's their song that gets people hooked! What evs, Mirando is still pretty kick ass and at least you mentioned them.

I'll just put in some more examples.
Sweeeeeeeeet...

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Firstly, Creature Feature, better known for the zombie song: Aim for the Head

But I love them for the whole Album, the Greatest Show Unearthed

<youtube=HXnfneef5YM>

And secondly, of course The Decemberists. I love a lot of their songs. The Mariner's Revenge, Eli the Barrow Boy, My Own True Love, and many others. This one is called When the War Came

<youtube=CD3fCVPBgcQ>