Your favorite new IPs of this generation

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
So, with this generation of consoles slowly drawing to a close, lets take a moment to reflect on the new guys that came out this gen, that kicked ass.

Well, for starters, there's Bioshock, which is currently my favorite game of all time. Yeah, I know it's a spiritual sequel to System Shock, but I count it as a new IP.

Then there's The World Ends With You, probably my favorite new IP JRPG that came out this gen. If you ever needed proof that JRPGs still have life left in them, just point at that.

There's Infamous, Borderlands, Blazblue, Half-Minute Hero, LittleBig Planet, Heavy Rain, Bayonetta, all of which I thought were great in their own ways.

What are some examples of really good new IPs of this gen that you guys like? Lets see some proof that not EVERYTHING has to be a sequel to make money.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Bioshock, Infamous, Souls games, Assassin's Creed, Portal, Batman Arkham games and Uncharted, just to name a few.
This generation has been good to gamers.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
likalaruku said:
My favorite Internet Protocol?
I suppose my favorite of the current generation would have to be IPv6, which has only started getting wide support in the past few years, but technically it was defined/introduced in the 90s...

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
This has been a great console generation: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Catherine, Enslaved, Crackdown, Gears of War, lots of good stuff!

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
The Batman Arkham Series is terrific, as was the Portal IP. Crackdown, while buggy, was a huge amount of fun. Bioshock had the best atmosphere for me.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The Arkham series, Dragon Age: Origins, Bioshock, as much as it could have been a lot better I did enjoy Spore for a while soon after it came out, Star Trek Online is a lot of fun, Sleeping Dogs, The Witcher, FTL, Mass Effect 1 was good, Sins of a Solar Empire, Minecraft and Portal, just to name a few.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Im gonna say Borderlands, The Arkham series of Batman games and Mass Effect.

Borderlands because it's fucking great, and the second one just blew me away with how much the team at Gearbox improved their game, and showed just how much these guys love their games.

The Arkham series because we sorely needed some great superhero games, and because Batman is the coolest dude ever. Plus some serious props for creating the best melee system i've ever used in a game.

And Mass Effect, because, despite the faults the ending had, the series still is really good. The characters are interesting, the story is great (Until the ending. Which also pisses me off since I read the synopsis for the Leviathan DLC, and if that shit was in the main game, i would have been fucking fine with the end. Dammit Bioware, dammit), and it was the first game to my knowledge to have save file transfers that allowed your decisions in a previous game to have effect in the sequels

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Assassin's Creed is probably the big one for me. Also, the Dark/Demon's Souls games are probably my two top games of all time, so they have to be mentioned. LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Resistance, Bioshock, Uncharted, & Skylanders were all damn fine too.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot Borderlands! That was amazing! And Kingdoms of Amalur too. That could've blossomed into something truly brilliant given the chance.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dark Souls
Borderlands
Assassins Creed
Bioshock
Mass Effect (well it used to be )
Dragon Age (Origins and Awakening but not 2!)

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Assassins creed and dragon age.

But I have a strong feeling Dishonored will be my all time favourite from what I've seen off it

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
There are a lot of them. Some like Mass Effect, Arkham, Bioshock, Borderlands, Dragon Age etc. have been mentioned already.

But my absolute favorite is Assassin's Creed. And I just can't wait for AC3. It's weird because I'm a PC gamer and Ubisoft is filled with anti-PC retards. But they make awesome games.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Alpha Protocol. Espionage RPG based on the three JBs. No other IP like it.

I'm sketchy about when this generation started having nought to do with consoles...was it about the same time as XP and DirectX 9?

EDIT: S.T.A.L..K.E.R. oh yes a great IP and I' m pretty sure it falls within "current gen" parameters...also Company of Heroes and Battlefield if it makes the cut off date.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Portal, Bioshock, Mass Effect and Amnesia would be the big ones. All of them are all time favourites as well as current-gen favourites.

Honourable mentions go to Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, The Walking Dead (do licensed IPs count?) and Bastion.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Can't say Persona. That's been around since PS1. :(

OT: There have been a shit-ton of good IPs this gen, but here are some my favorites:

Bastion
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Brutal Legend (Fuck you for killing the license, EA)
Little Big Planet
Uncharted
InFamous
Minecraft, I suppose
Borderlands
Gravity Rush
Portal
Valkyria Chronicles

felbot

May 11, 2011
borderlands probably, love the 2 games, and hope the third if it comes will have 3 times as much stuff in it.

EDIT: oh shit i almost forgot, brutal legend.