Your Favorite Resident Evil Protagonist

Who is your favorite recurring resident evil protagonist?

• Total voters

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Pre-resi 5 Jill, obviously. Any other answer is clearly wrong. I mean, she's the master of unlocking, man. She's awesome in Revelations as well. I thought the resi3 remake version of Jill wasn't as good, however. She was TOO badass and kept cracking one-liners all the time when she was in imminent danger.

If we are including side characters (not counting Gaiden and revelations 2 because I wasn't that keen on him there), I'll have Barry for resi 1 lines alone. And I hear he makes a great Sandwich.

I like Claire too, so she'd be my next pick for RE2 and CV which I really liked her in. I also liked her in revelations 2 as well. I thought she was quite good in the resi 2 remake as well, except they make her too badass again like they do with Jill in resi 3 remake.

Ada is probably next - I really like her DLC in 4 and story in 6. She's good in 2 as well just because she's mysterious.

Leon, should never have been the last action hero for me, but I liked him as rookie cop in the original resi 2 and the remake. He was ok in 4, too badass again for me in a survival game.

Chris is my next pick because I while I liked him in resi 1 and CV, he was just annoying as a character from 5 onwards and he is in a lot of them.

Maybe Rebecca and Billy next? I mean they just are only protagonists in one game so they are lower of the list from that alone. I think I'd take billy over Rebecca.

Jake is just a pointless addition in my eyes. Sherry is OK, but she gets marks deducted for being in Jake's story.

I've probably missed some out but...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In videogames "settle down" means the end of the characters.
When you say "end," do you mean dying? Because most of the time, when characters are actually paired and 'settle down,' they seem to do alright in my experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chris has always had the reputation of being the most boring. It's not just you. Even back then I didn't care much for him, and I did not get interested in Chris until RE5.

In order:

Leon
Claire
Jill
Sherry
Sheva
Barry
Josh
Chris

Everyone else I either don't care for, or I usually dislike.
To add: I like Leon RE2R and RE4R Leon > RE4 Leon. A better and more proper transition of his character. From first day rookie cop to government agent.

RE4R Ada I highly prefer over RE4 Ada. Yeah, I said it. RE2 Ada is still the best, and but RE2R Ada and RE4R Ada are the most consistent with or without comparison to RE4 and RE6 Ada.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What I really liked about the RE4 remake was the reworking of the age gap between Ashley and Leon. Even in the first one they had sparks, and Ashley clearly was crushing hard. But she was like 18, he was like 35+. It wasn't good.
The remake she's 22-24, Leon is 27ish. Their flirting/romance is much more...I hate to use the word "acceptable" because its ageist and implies age gap love can't exist, but its less...forced. An early/mid twenty year old falling for a mid/late 20 year old isn't even worth noting.
Also props on Ashley being a character rather than the personification of virginal innocence that needs saving.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What I really liked about the RE4 remake was the reworking of the age gap between Ashley and Leon. Even in the first one they had sparks, and Ashley clearly was crushing hard. But she was like 18, he was like 35+. It wasn't good.
The remake she's 22-24, Leon is 27ish.
Ashely was already 20 in the original, and Leon was already 27 in the original. The only difference was that Ashley still looked school girlish and she didn't exactly act her age. Both versions take place in 2004. Leon was 21 in 1998.

Their flirting/romance is much more...I hate to use the word "acceptable" because its ageist and implies age gap love can't exist, but its less...forced. An early/mid twenty year old falling for a mid/late 20 year old isn't even worth noting.
Leon's heart was always set on Ada, so him and Ashley were never going to be a thing. At least he let's Ashley down gently in the original.
Also props on Ashley being a character rather than the personification of virginal innocence that needs saving.
Agreed. One of the better companion characters in gaming.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I feel like I disagree Brawlman. At least when it comes to Leon's love interests. I don't want to be a gossiping schoolgirl, but Ashley and Leon are ever bit as strong as Claire and Leon. Ada was always the distraction lover, a way to compromise Leon going forward. Ada is never going to give up the life and marry Leon. At least Ashley or Claire have genuine feelings vs Ada's at best suspect feelings.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like I disagree Brawlman. At least when it comes to Leon's love interests. I don't want to be a gossiping schoolgirl, but Ashley and Leon are ever bit as strong as Claire and Leon.
Hate to break it to you, but that's the fanon and what you think you remember or a self-serving memory. Ashley and Leon do have a strong bond, but it's less romantic and more platonic with a combination of Action Hero and Action Survivor bonding and gaining new life experiences and lessons from each other. At least in the remake any way. While OG Ashley gains a crush towards him in the end, Leon let's her down gently and that is that. The relationship wouldn't have worked nor lasted long. "Yeah, I'm fucking my bosses daughter who's barely 20". That sounds like a good idea, in and out of universe.

I love pairing Leon and Claire (she is a much better fit for Leon than Ada) as much the next person, but we all know there is no romantic tension between these two. Other than Remake Sherry wrongly guessing them being a couple, and a proposition for adoption (coping mechanism), nothing comes from it, and they go their separate ways for a long while.

Ada is never going to give up the life and marry Leon. At least Ashley or Claire have genuine feelings vs Ada's at best suspect feelings.
Agreed, but that is not going to stop the fans that love the Batman and Cat Woman relationship of the two. It's also why I prefer the Remake versions of Leon and Ada in this regard. He knows it will never work out, but at least she cares, even though she doesn't show it as much. Remake Ada still shows more compared to her original RE4 and RE6 counterparts.