Your favorite song from a video game

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Snake Eater easily:

It's almost too perfect, like it was ripped out of an old action movie or something. Sets the tone just right for what type of game it is and the theme.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Posted it in the "Top N64" thread, but I'll shout it to the heavens a thousand times if need bee...

Honorable mentions go to: All of Banjo-Kazooie, Mega Man 2's title theme, Blazblue Continuum Shift's Intro, Every song from every persona game 3 onwards, and Kid Icarus's Underworld. I'm just too lazy to flood the screen with spoilered youtube links.

Ooh, and that crazy nutters "BIrthday Cake" song from Jet Set Radio Future. Man that song was weird.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I'll second Faunts' M4 p.II but it'll always be a tie between it and the Madworld cover used in the trailer for Gears of War and then used in Gears 3; that version of the song has always hit me harder than Tears for Fears' original.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
It used to be the Streets of Rage 1 first level and boss songs, now it's this masterpiece by Carpenter Brut, found on the Hotline Miami soundtrack. This is the official video though, uses clips from one of Lucio Fulci's horror movies from the 80's (which I have still to get a hold of and watch).

Just love the structure of the song, or lack thereof. It just keeps changing and building, and by the end of it it's a completely different song than how it first started. And god does it have some awesome drops and hooks. Still gives me chills.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Someone has to say Portal, so I'll say it. I can't help but think of either Portal or JRPGs when it comes to video game songs.

Zero from Ace Combat Zero always has a special place in my heart.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Seems like very few games that use contemporary type songs really put the effort into getting them written properly. They usually just license something.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'll respond with the same thing I always respond in these threads.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Restricting my choice to actual songs (with vocals) this time, dunno if I would call it my absolute favorite... but I do know that omitting Bond themes is simply not done on a list of favorite songs. So here you go.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I don't have favorites. Just a lot that I like. All of Guilty Gear Xrd's soundtrack. Anything Daisuke Ishiwatari. Jack a Dandy best song. [https://soundcloud.com/guiltygearxrdsoundtrack/sets/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-ost]

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
While I would have picked something from NieR as Keiichi Okabe is a musical god, for the sake of diversity I'll pick something different:

HAH, KEIICHI OKABE

Next is a song I have a real soft spot for, as FFVIII is my favourite and I adore the romance subplots:

Makes me weep though

Ahh hell, why not?

Remember Nothing Ever Stops

-Insert Gehrman's Unshackle Me lines here-

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Recently going through Transistor, there are some graceful tunes. They may not work as well without the melancholy background details, but still makes goosebumps just by hearing the main theme. Doing an acoustic version of it recently with added percussion. Am tempted with lyrics, but that can go downhill fast if not artfully implemented;

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Transistor's music is phenomenal in everyway. It works on so many levels and it's a great game with great art direction and theme to begin with. Just ... works.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
So long into this thread, and nobody mentioned Bastion?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
How the hell can this even be narrowed down without betraying one track or another? It's like trying to narrow down your favorite food to one thing.

Besides, there are always some that are probably better that we haven't even heard personally. I suppose that's the point of the thread, to bring them all out in the open.

Castlevania series, especially SotN
FF series, especially 6-10
MGS series
Killzone 2 (only game OST to win an Ivor Novello)
Witcher series
Souls series

All of the above are full of audible excellence.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Without a doubt, my favorite is Erana's Peace from Quest for Glory 1. After running through screen after screen full of dangerous creatures, you stumble across this magical place where nothing bad ever happens. It also stands out because none of the surrounding areas have background music.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's impossible for me to just choose 1 song.
Just do what everyone else usually does and post as many as you like. But please be nice and put them in a spoiler tag.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
An unusual choice, perhaps, since it's not based on pure musical skill, but: the tavern songs from Betrayal in Antara (I have no idea where'd you find them online; sorry). While they're just a group of people singing drinking songs, with no instrumental accompaniment, and are far from any kind of profundity, they do a lot to help build the reality of the world you're playing in, and make it feel less like a game.