Your favorite song from a video game

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Without a doubt, my favorite is Erana's Peace from Quest for Glory 1. After running through screen after screen full of dangerous creatures, you stumble across this magical place where nothing bad ever happens. It also stands out because none of the surrounding areas have background music.

And thus my memories from Quest for Glory came back flooding in. Thank you based GoG for not leaving me dry.
I see your QFG1 Erana and raise you QFG4 Erana.

Pity about the soundfonts they used, though.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Just mind blowing. I've never seen a tune capture the proper feel and immersion of a section of a video game this good before, or since. You can smell the cheap cologne and sweat with this song....

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Gotta say, I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention something from this game. Say what you will about the game itself, but Chrono Cross's soundtrack is one of the best in gaming. All hail Mitsuda!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Shadowsetzer said:
Gotta say, I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention something from this game. Say what you will about the game itself, but Chrono Cross's soundtrack is one of the best in gaming. All hail Mitsuda!
Indeed. My usual favorite is the opening sequence song "Time's Scar." Got to see Video Games Live do that one several years ago... a great night.

Another favorite, "Theme of Laura" from Silent Hill 2.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
hermes said:
So long into this thread, and nobody mentioned Bastion?

Well, someone mention Transistor so half way there. BTW both great

Also, when you get a flamethrower in Far Cry 3. The only time a game has made me feel like a badass

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Bad Jim said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's impossible for me to just choose 1 song.
Just do what everyone else usually does and post as many as you like. But please be nice and put them in a spoiler tag.
Guess I could do that.

I played Tales From the Borderlands the other day, the intro combined with this song was pretty amazing.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Still the ending to Mass Effect 1 for me.

I'm also partial to the song from Portal 2, not the first.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this song yet! So, no cake for you!
I forced myself to finish Wolfenstein: The New Order, because the story was good. Unfortunately, I hated how the story ended. Except, the cover of a Chris Isaak song that they played over the credits is fantastically great.
For videogame instrumentals, I guess I would go with the Halo soundtracks. I like the combination of hard rock guitars and a choir.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
Most epic and combines all them feels from the first Dark Souls summed up for me:

And the haunting, eery, beautiful thingy from Divinity:Original Sin..."The Lady, the mage and the knight"

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The entire Bloodborne OST. Couldn't even pick a favorite as this entire soundtrack is grand. Also still really love the Final Fantasy 7 OST..old as it is. :p

Mar 30, 2010
Must be about time for me to post the Morrowind themetrack again...

The entire soundtrack is pretty awesome, but I particularly enjoy Peaceful Waters and The Road Most Traveled.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
Not just great gameplay and inspiring graphics, but easily one of the best tunes on the Amiga 500.

Groundbreaking graphics (for the time), amazing soundtrack but sadly dull gameplay. Can't get everything I suppose.
Skip to 3:13 for the first gameplay music.
Best soundtrack for a NES game ever. Like, ever.
From the Angel-remix intro screen, to the in your face industrial metal of Ministry, this soundtrack is probably as good as it gets.
I love the Mass Effect series, in part of the amazing music and atmospheric soundscapes created by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick. A lot of the time I would open up the starmap and just let this song loop while I was doing things around the house or meditating. It is just so fantastic.
Will DOOM mark the return of Reznor inspired industrial music in our games? I for one certainly hope so!

OT: These forums need like buttons or something similar. There are so many posts in this thread that I want to click 'Like' on! :)
This is just one of the many, many (2 hour+ long) OST.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Seth Carter said:

Seems like very few games that use contemporary type songs really put the effort into getting them written properly. They usually just license something.
Agreed, loved that song.

For me, it's this song though:

Silketrix

Jul 16, 2016
I've always loved this tune. The game had some awful music but this really set the mood for me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1DjBe3LOM

Also, I don't know how to make the video appear in here, but it's the Hollywood theme from Vampire bloodlines

beyondbrainmatter

Dec 7, 2010
Space Harrier theme:

Castlevania 4 - Bloody Tears:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Dark world theme:

Romancing Saga 3 - Battle theme:

Metal Slug 3 - Blue Water Fangs:

God Hand - Devil May Sly:

Medieval Total War - Euro Mobilize 2:

Last Blade 2 - Violent Emotion:

Salamander 2 - Fire Tripper (unused track):

Planescape Torment - Main theme:

Okami - Ryoshima Plains:

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Since I haven't seen any love for it yet, I'll throw up one of my favorite tracks from Black, though the whole soundtrack qualifies for me

Also gonna include Build That Wall from Bastion

I'll include this one on a bit of a technicality, since it's specifically the version with the radio filter put on for the game that makes me like this, but Willow's Theme (Bury Version) from Silent Hill: Downpour. It loses some of the melancholy feel to me without the grainy static overtop of it.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Frezzato said:
Still the ending to Mass Effect 1 for me.
Same here. This song was the perfect way to end those tens of hours of managing the awful inventory. First time I didn't try to skip the credits right away.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Since we've already had Snake Eater, I'm going to go with the MGS runner-up, Heaven's Divide:

You can't go wrong with Gwyn's theme from Dark Souls 1:

DS3 had some greats as well. Right now I'm loving Yhorm the Giant's theme:

And finally, just to change things up a bit, here's 'Still Alive' from Mirror's Edge, which might be the second best song about a video game character being still alive ever made.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Off the top of my head, I would have to say it's

And runner up for song composed FOR A GAME (seeing a lot of you just referring to licensed songs used in games. Yes I'm being an asshole.)
My second pick would have to be