Your Favorite Superhero Games or Superhero Games of All Time? (All Superhero Games Discussion)

Gatuno

Jan 16, 2023
I'm familiar with and like Captain Commando, though I wouldn't include any brawler into my "Favorite of whatever..." lists since it's among my least played genres... I got reservations even for the brawlers starring Batman haha
@FakeSympathy & @mirbrownbread, or anyone else, has anyone ever played Arkham Origins: Blackgate? I know I haven't.

Speaking on batman games, "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" for sega genesis its pretty good.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
If you mean pre-existing superhero, then :

- Of course the Arkham games were fantastic. Great sense of sneaking, browling and freedom (surprisingly so in a first opus taking place the the Asylum's corridors). Feels just right, like a better Predator game than AVP's campaigns.

- Story-wise, I consider the Telltale games the best (or the only good?) Batman plots ever written. I'm not too bothered by Telltale's fake branching narratives, the game really turned these flat characters into something actually engaging.

- Historically, though, The Amazing Spider-Man was my favorite. Because, ages (AGES!) before Just Cause popularized it, I loved swinging mechanisms in videogames. I was lucky enough to play Worms on the amiga (where the lines of bungee and grappling hooks actually bent around the environment), and I enjoyed Bionic Commando for that very gimmick. And none, in my eyes, was exploiting it better than The Amazing Spider-Man, back then. Plus, I loved games where you could stick on the walls and ceilings. Strider did that a bit, Flood did that a lot, The Amazing Spider-Man did that enough. Also, best lifebar ever.

Now, if we go outside the realm of comics adaptations, Freedom Force 1 and 2 were the best hommage to the genre and era. I just wish they allowed you to create characters of your own.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of course the Arkham games were fantastic. Great sense of sneaking, browling and freedom (surprisingly so in a first opus taking place the the Asylum's corridors). Feels just right, like a better Predator game than AVP's campaigns.
It's usually that or the Crysis franchise. Though most gamers feel Crysis is the best Predator game and a better Predator campagin than in most AVP games.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
It's usually that or the Crysis franchise. Though most gamers feel Crysis is the best Predator game and a better Predator campagin than in most AVP games.
I've played a little bit of Crysis, but I didn't go very far due, I think, to its invisibiity limitation. It turns you invisible for a couple of seconds, which is too little to go full Predator, yet the presence of that feature prevented me from going full Far Cry. I kept trying to use it, and I didn't get how to truly expoit this ability. It felt just awkward.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've played a little bit of Crysis, but I didn't go very far due, I think, to its invisibiity limitation. It turns you invisible for a couple of seconds, which is too little to go full Predator, yet the presence of that feature prevented me from going full Far Cry. I kept trying to use it, and I didn't get how to truly expoit this ability. It felt just awkward.
Crysis 2 and 3 do a much better job with invisibility. You can upgrade it, and lasts even longer in 3. Crysis 3 does the best of both worlds when taking gameplay elements and environments from Crysis and Crysis 2. You have the urban landscapes over taken by nature, turning N.Y into a true urban jungle. Crysis is Predator, and Crysis 2 is Predator 2. With Crysis 3 being the best combiation of those two titles.

Reactions: Absent

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'll be boring but yeah Spiderman 2 on the ps2. At the time it was insane how fun that game was.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No More Heroes III is a great Deconstruction-Reconstruction Parody of the genre. It won't please everyone, but the game is a true Suda/Grasshopper trip through and through.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not my personal favorite, but is hilariously entertaining. Still better than Gotham Knights!