Your favorite underappreciated games...

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Stubbs The Zombie maybe? I don't remember many people ever playing that one. But is was the most fun I've had with my xbox in a good ol' age. Damn people of Punchbowl, teach you to... be alive I guess?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
HSIAMetalKing said:
Jak 2 and 3-- The Jak series doesn't get nearly enough credit for its awesomeness.
Jak gets plenty of credit. Especially compared to the Sly Cooper games, which are the real hidden gem of PS2 platforming.

wcaypahwat

Jan 3, 2008
I'm gonna have to second Blayze with his choice of Metal Fatigue. Custom units, and multilevel combat is always fun.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Excellent, Wcay. It's good to see a fellow Fatiguer here. It was always fun to crush one of those Neuropa mechs into the ground with the might of stolen Rimtech technology.

I can't believe I forgot about Soul Blazer, Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia, though. Bridge Builder was good fun too, especially when I was able to explain away why I was on it in school with the simple phrase "It's educational."

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for the PSP. I also thought Demon's Crest for the SNES was very underlooked (perhaps because it was in the final days of the 16 bit era).

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Star Control 2 ~~

It's freeware as The Ur-Quan Masters now. It's a sort of adventure game with fighting gameish battles. Each ship has a different way of fighting, and you only fight one enemy ship at a time. If there are several ships you fight them consecutively.

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
Pschonauts
Gladius
Freedom Fighters
Sacrifice
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Rise of Nations
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a Pulse

Incommunicado

Jul 13, 2006
Freelancer
Fahrenheit
Hi-Octane + Expansion
Interstate 76
Jagged Alliance 2
Scrapland
Stubbs the Zombie
Shadowrun (SNES)
Z - by the Bitmap Brothers
and although this might stir up some controversy: Kane & Lynch (despite it's many flaws I really enjoy the singleplayer)

Carpo

Dec 13, 2007
I would have to ay Baten Kaitos (Origins and Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean) for Gamecube. Truly revolutionary!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Stubbs. How could I have forgotten my dear, dear Stubbs. Not a perfect game, but damn good.

As for the Marathon freeware, browse to trilogyrelease.bungie.org (deliberately not linkified to avoid t3h Google-bomb, don't add "www" anywhere) and make certain to read the directions provided; the emulator's good, but it is an emulator and does take some setting up.

-- Steve

sathie

Dec 19, 2007
Incommunicado said:
Freelancer
Fahrenheit
Hi-Octane + Expansion
Interstate 76
Jagged Alliance 2
Scrapland
Stubbs the Zombie
Shadowrun (SNES)
Z - by the Bitmap Brothers
and although this might stir up some controversy: Kane & Lynch (despite it's many flaws I really enjoy the singleplayer)
Totally agree with the highlighted.

Freelancer I think gets a lot of criticism cause it's a sequel to something that never "lived up" to the fans anticipation for it.

Hi-Octane I only had the demo for when I was young, but it was such a lot of fun. Like Wipeout, only playable for me :)

Jagged Alliance 2 lost a lot of character for me. It wasn't as pretty or unique as the first, but it added a gritty level to the action (sci-fi mode off, for the love of god!!!!) and the map aspect was a lot better in my opinion.

Z. I loved it, but it was just too hard for me. I loved watching my brother play it though. We had the huge special edition box that came with a keyring and t-shirt and whatnot.

There's a Jowood published game called Chaser. A compelling story-driven FPS. Sure, you needed to patch it before you could install install it, but for me it was definitely worth the trouble. I think I'm much more forgiving of flawed games from small companies than I am with this years blockbuster releases.

Silent Storm.

brazenhead89

Jan 3, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new and this is my first forum post - have to say, nice to go on a gaming forum that doesn't descend into nerd rage or console wars.
Anyway, on-topic, No One Lives Forever is one of my favourite games ever, and still one of the best First Person Shooters I've played. That it only got one sequel is criminal. Given the scope, variety, and surprising length of the game I'm hoping (perhaps in vain) that it'll get the next-gen treatment. Nonetheless, it doesn't deserve the tumble into obscurity it suffered from

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
I second the vote for the Suikoden series but I would add 1 and 5 on there too.
Onimusha series
Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2
Power Stone 1 and 2
Xenosaga

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
- Abe's Odyssey and the rest of the Oddworld games always felt criminally underappreciated as a whole.

- Psychonauts

- Star Wars: Masters of the Tera Kasi. Always got killed by reviews, etc, but absolutely loved a fighting game with lighsabers and force powers.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
josh797 said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Off the top of my head...

Psychonauts wasn't underrated, but I guess it comes in as underappreciated due to its sales. Hopefully it'll get a renaissance with the XBox Classics thing.

Marathon, as it's largely forgotten outside of Mac and die-hard fan circles. A bit dusty, but still a fun shooter even on low-grade hardware and the storyline is great. It's got a freeware version now, too, that works on PC as well as Mac... pity so few know about that.

-- Steve

where can i get that freeware, im interested in playing it.
The freeware version is at http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/
A port of Marathon 2 is also available for download for the XBox 360, but for me personally the controls just don't feel right. And it's not free.

JimboG

Dec 24, 2007
Body Harvest

Buck Bumble

Glover

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Those were classics. I get all nostalgic thinking about them.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
brute force the co-op on that was so fun 2 play with m8s that is until they dont let you respawn because they think they can take the enemys all by themselvs