Your Favourite Anime Ending. the end of the story.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Haibane Renmei.

It's difficult to explain the ending, because of how overwhelming it is.

The series paces itself along a patient path with a few abstract themes, but nothing too heavy -- and certainly not intrusive -- as it delights in showing you characters functioning in a kind of utopia; a paradise with several underlying mysteries that -- and to my appreciation -- do not explain themselves, even in the end. So when the drama comes, it really does lay on you, because of how infrequent it is, and how well it's executed.

sort of SPOILER ALERT

You really do feel as though you're discovering this small town and it's surrounding countryside with Rakka (the main character), so when she does have that fallout with her older-sister figure, and reality breaks through a dark psychological barrier (again, this isn't a dark drama), you're just astounded.

I was literally tearing at it's execution, "how did a Japanese drama just match some of the best film-endings from the west?" There are only just a few that come to mind that hold such emotional gravity.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Since the only anime I've really gotten into are the Tenchi ones I'm gonna have to go with Tenchi Universe. I would like to say Tenchi Muyo, since that's my favourite timeline of the series, but that one didn't even get any closure, unfortunately.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
There are a couple of Anime endings I particularly love.

Lelouche's sacrifice as you mentioned.
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai's ending, when everything was finally figured out.
Clannad After Story, the last few episodes of that anime were fantastic.
Kampfer had a fantastic endings. Easily makes one of my top favourite endings I've ever seeen for just the sheer randomness it presented.
Stein's Gate again was another good ending.

I'm tempted to say Baccano's ending was good, but because I can't remember it I'm not so sure.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Fallere825 said:
The Topic is simple, What series end of an anime is your favourite, the one that you will remember most, for me the answer is simple.

Code Geass
an amazing Ending,
Really Spoilery from here on.

Lelouch selflessly giving his life to bring Peace to the world, he became the thing that the entire world hated so that when he was killed the world could have peace.

booyaa, first topic i've made and I figured out the spoiler tag.
also, I would add a poll, but Im not entirely sure what the majority of Escapists would go for.

EDIT: For Clarity, Im talking about the last episodes of anime, the end of the story, the Finale.
seconded. So provocative. I honestly still can't make up my mind on what I think.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Crispee said:
CODE-D said:
Crispee said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, happy ending, and Ed's final speech is just amazing.
That ending is too happy, in fact it borderlines on bullshit. All he had to do to get alphonse back was give up alchemy? the fuck.
Just another reason of the many I prefer the first anime.
In the first Anime, to get Al's body back he had to trap himself in the Parallel Universe that wasn't so much as foreshadowed until they introduced in like the last episode, they make about as much sense as one another. :p

And I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with having a happy ending, the very point behind the ending was that they'd all earned their happy ending after The Truth punished them so many times to the point of despair throughout the series.
Yes but it was equivalent exchange, he took his body out of their world to bring his brothers back into it.
Plus bro is sillier and I dont like the animation or character as much.
Their teacher and ms armstrong especially are bad, izumi seems like a different character altogether. They are terribly cliche characters and just seem like avatars for the creator to stand on a soapbox to enforce "think for yourself" line that is repeated over and over....
I like their teachers previous

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Fallere825 said:
The Topic is simple, What series end of an anime is your favourite, the one that you will remember most, for me the answer is simple.

Code Geass
an amazing Ending,

Lelouch selflessly giving his life to bring Peace to the world, he became the thing that the entire world hated so that when he was killed the world could have peace.

booyaa, first topic i've made and I figured out the spoiler tag.
also, I would add a poll, but Im not entirely sure what the majority of Escapists would go for.

EDIT: For Clarity, Im talking about the last episodes of anime, the end of the story, the Finale.
Yeah. That was pretty epic. Lelouch should have said, "Checkmate," under his breath after he was about to die, because he played the whole world into living in peace and they will never know it.

My favorite anime ending is Eureka Seven.

Upon the death of Dewey, who triggers a chain reaction in which Eureka becomes engulfed by aliens (Coralians), Renton's love for Eureka causes the super mecha (Nirvash) to transform into an organic form and fights their way to save Eureka. He manages to reach her and force the Coralians to leave the Earth (which had engulfed the whole planet), while Renton and Eureka share a kiss and remain together.

The whole series is great and the ending just wraps things up in a bow.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
I'm going to have to go with Code Geass too. Another ending I liked was Yu Yu Hakusho's I loved how they provided closure for all the characters and plus I'm a sucker for a happy ending

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
Cowboy Bebop.

I did shed many a tears at the ending of Angel Beats! though.

Fallere825

Mar 8, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Thought of another one... I quite liked Durarara!!'s ending, everything got resolved quite neatly and it wasn't particularly forced.
Im starting to think that I am unlucky here, alot of answers im getting for good anime endings are animes I dont have all of the episodes of.

Edit: Typo.

Fallere825

Mar 8, 2012
Matt King said:
Fallere825 said:

Code Geass
an amazing Ending,

well, i was going to say code geass, but you kinda fucked that up
OH GOD! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
Ahem........ may I ask why?

Ville Vuorela

Feb 25, 2010
That one episode of Black Lagoon, season 1, ending with a cigarette kiss.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd16Xfx-aJo

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
Fallere825 said:
Matt King said:
Fallere825 said:

Code Geass
an amazing Ending,

well, i was going to say code geass, but you kinda fucked that up
OH GOD! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
Ahem........ may I ask why?
well because it fits the show so well, it's happy without being rediculous, it ties up everything and all the characters find there place (orange farm LOL)

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Anime
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Made me tear up a little bit
Death Note - Because they made Light's downfall all the more sweeter
Gurren Lagann- MANLY TEARS
End of Evangelion - I thought it was far more straightforward and conclusive than the original ending. That and... Damn.

Manga, similar reasons as DrRockor; (that and I read manga more than I watch Anime)

From Far Away- A bit cheesy, but it wrapped up all the plot bits nicely and it kept track of all the characters, even midly important side characters (something rare in anime/manga)
Monster Without A Face (NSFW) - Made me crack up
Rurouni Kenshin - Better than the anime; hands down.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Fallere825 said:
Code Geass

an amazing Ending,

By the way u know lelouche is alive and season 3 the direct sequel of code geass was just announced. Which means that when CC said "...isn't that right Lelouche" at the end of the series that was him in the back of that wagon.

By the way the ending of Gundam 8th MS team had me bawling my eyes out.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
I loved the ending to Gurren Lagann and the manga version to mirai nikki(the anime didn't complete it).
Then there's always a special place for Zoids chaotic century and new century zero.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I would have to say that Monster is my favorite ending (and overall) anime of all time. Its hard to explain without giving it away, but in short its a combination of 73 episodes of build up and twists within the episode itself.

worldfest said:
Haibane Renmei.

It's difficult to explain the ending, because of how overwhelming it is.
Haibane Renmei would have to be my second pick (for ending) for the exact same reasons. Somewhere in the top 10 of my all time favorites.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Ghost in the Shell: a little weird, but at least it's happy. Or at least as happy an ending as crapsack worlds ever get.
I don't remember the name for certain (I think it's Galaxy Express 999): It's bittersweet, with her just leaving and all but whatevs.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I have 2

Elfen Lied, the whole series pissed me off (in a good way, like at the characters themselves not the actual show... which was horribly paced) and the Ending... I was just like "FUCK YEAH", shaking off the manly tears that streaked down my face.

the Second is Ghost in the Shell SAC

Not 2nd GIG, the end to the laughing man case, the whole series was pretty damn fantastic. I loved the themes; Data manipulation, AI, subjective reality and the premise of a Stand Alone Complex. And the premise of a Stand Alone Complex... that actually exists in our world (Anonymous). The bit where the tachikomas sacrifice themselves for Batou was Awesome... but the guy was right, Batou didn't need to kill his partner.

And I though it was really funny how they were all having a go at Batou after Motoko got taken out. Yeah, you know if I saw someone about to get their head blown the fuck off by a massive rifle I might yell out their name too. It was then I realised the section 9 is a bit tapped.

I love that series because I can trace all of my higher moral code that I hold today as starting with the laughing man case. Watching it all again blew me away.

The Induvidual 11 series didn't deal with the themes the same way, and so I didn't enjoy it as much, also because Motoko went a bit Emo near the end. But, damn it, those tachikomas know how to tug at my heart.

Neon Genesis has come up a bit, and I want to share my thoughts, though once at a party we were talking about Evangelion and some guy tried to choke me for my thoughts. I just carried on drinking my bear until he got tired (And later he nearly tried to bottle me... it was a good night, anyway)

Ok, so lets go to the end where Shinji has to make a choice between collectivity and individuality... I had dealt with this when I was about 13 when I watched Star Trek the Next Generation again, specificity the Borg episodes. I had already internalised the themes of those particular shows and decided that individual minds working as a collective (Forming a Stand Alone Complex) was greater than a pure collective, in theory anyway. A Stand Alone Complex requires consensus between the different perspectives... but anyway.

So the themes at the end of Evangelion did noting for me really and the cheap drawn out ending pissed me off rather than blowing me away with its philosophy.

And also... Shinji is a bit of a *****. Sorry but I couldn't empathise with him at all. Rather I found the work interesting as it was a look into the depressed mind of its creator, but I liked Rei and Asuka... especially Asuka, ignoring her bravado she said what I was thinking about Shinji far too often.

Special mention to the ending of the second season of G4 MLP:FIM. I know its not anime, but go watch "A Canterlot Wedding" and then watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-1dyaFyDLk&feature=plcp

The episode was epic and this alternate "real" ending made it even more so. TAKE THE RED PILL TWILIGHT!