Your favourite cartoon and why it's your favourite.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Daria. Give me a smart, slightly depressed girl any day.

And as far as anime goes, I'm not a fan, but there are two things that come to mind:

Royal Space Force (Wings of Honneamise). Bear in mind, the only scene of the flight training I could find is in spanish. But take a look at the clip and try to imagine this in HD. All the details like the moisture on the cockpit window, the instrument gauges, the music. It's an incredible moment. I love how the plane design is a contra-rotating pusher propellor![MEDIA=youtube]drq9wvRX18w[/MEDIA]
Even more amazing, someone put the entire movie up on YouTube.

And the only other anime I love is the series Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. Watch this opening fight scene and bask in just how insanely "realistic" they made it. The Gogs are clumsy, and everything has weight to it:
[MEDIA=youtube]9ZULhqmhv3o[/MEDIA]

talker

Nov 18, 2011
thejarofdirt882 said:
Boy does that question bring up some childhood memories!

Probably... Pinky and the Brain. Because it was about the only thing my sister & I never ever argued about. She was clearly Brain and I was clearly Pinky. :D

I loved the odd schemes for just two mice to take over the world and the voice acting is awesome. I still watch it now when I can and when someone asks me what I want to do tonight I often reply with "The same thing we do every night, [insert name here]. Try to take over the world!"
pinky and the brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain BRAIN!

as for me, futurama says it all.
(sometimes) ridiculous humour in a thousand-year-in-the-future setting?

(Robot) Hell Yeah!

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
MLP followed extremely closely by Tron: Uprising.
I would have tied them up because visually, I like watching Tron: Uprising more but I'm more invested in the MLP fandom and I figured that counts for more.
To steal a line form House and tweak it a little bit:
I *like* Tron more than MLP, but I *love* MLP more than Tron, if that makes any sense.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
My Top 10 American Cartoons. In no particular order.

Freakazoid
SO bizarre and funny. Way ahead of its time.

Johnny Bravo
There's just something inherently entertaining about horny, moronic, chauvinist getting the crap beaten out of him that just never gets old.

Adventure Time
Bizarre, hilarious, and occasionally socks you in the feels.

Mighty Max
Loved this show for some reason. Haven't seen it in years and years though. I have ONE episode recorded on VHS somewhere. Now if only I had a VCR....

Futurama
Like Family Guy only not annoying!

Daria
And intelligent and funny show on MTV? Who knew!?

King of the Hill
Dale actually reminds me a lot of my own father. That special mixture of paranoid and gullible. I love Dale.

The Real Ghostbusters
Pretty hit or miss but had some really great episodes

Dexter's Lab
I miss the days when you could sit and watch Cartoon Network ALL DAY instead of tuning into the one or two shows they have left that are tolerable.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
The amazing opening alone justifies it being in my top 10. That long red coat, that unstoppable attitude, that snarky smirk. Totally crushed on Carmen Sandiego when I was a kid.

I SO have this song stuck in my head now.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Archer, hands down the best thing on television - cartoon or otherwise.

Action, comedy, drama, comedy, romance, comedy, great voice acting, comedy, dark comedy and it's also really funny.

If you haven't seen it go watch it, right now. Go buy it on netflicks or something, I don't know. Go see it. Break someone's legs if you have to.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Gmans uncle said:
Lesse... It's a toss up between...

But for sheer originality, and everything else, I'm gonna have to go with Gravity Falls.

I haven't seen a show this well written, well voiced, well animated, and generally well put together since MLP. But GF is just continuing to blow my mind with it's loose but consistent continuity, and it's wonderfully offbeat humor every step of the way.
Also they referenced Spirited Away.
Fun Fact: what is the easiest way to win my love? Reference Spirited Away.
Gravity falls wins it.
What series is that third image from? Looks awesome.
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, it's a really strange anime that has the visual style of powerpuff girls but it is incredibly mature (mainly with swearing and crude humour)

Edit: I'm probably exaggerating with "'incredibly' mature" I haven't watched much of it but what I've seen is very strange.

OT: Archer is hilarious I've rewatched most of the episodes more than twice, and also Spongebob Squarepants which I still consider to be one of the best kid shows ever. Honourable mentions to Avatar: TLA, Baccano!, and currently Jojo's Bizarre Adventure everyone should stop what their doing and watch it now.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
Gotta go with Daria. I love that show, couldn't even explain why, I think its the constant stream of misanthropy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
And the only other anime I love is the series Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. Watch this opening fight scene and bask in just how insanely "realistic" they made it. The Gogs are clumsy, and everything has weight to it:
Correction, those are Hi-Goggs and a Z-Gok-E.

both are upgraded versions of older suits, though the Hi-Gogg is the biggest improvement since it's actually worth using on land, as for the Z-Gok-E? the kinda got it right the first time with the Z-Gok, but always room for improvement

OT:
I'll edit in a proper answer after i've though about it some more, I've seen many a good show in my time

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
ninjapenguin1414 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Gmans uncle said:
Lesse... It's a toss up between...

But for sheer originality, and everything else, I'm gonna have to go with Gravity Falls.

I haven't seen a show this well written, well voiced, well animated, and generally well put together since MLP. But GF is just continuing to blow my mind with it's loose but consistent continuity, and it's wonderfully offbeat humor every step of the way.
Also they referenced Spirited Away.
Fun Fact: what is the easiest way to win my love? Reference Spirited Away.
Gravity falls wins it.
What series is that third image from? Looks awesome.
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, it's a really strange anime that has the visual style of powerpuff girls but it is incredibly mature (mainly with swearing and crude humour)

Edit: I'm probably exaggerating with "'incredibly' mature" I haven't watched much of it but what I've seen is very strange.

OT: Archer is hilarious I've rewatched most of the episodes more than twice, and also Spongebob Squarepants which I still consider to be one of the best kid shows ever. Honourable mentions to Avatar: TLA, Baccano!, and currently Jojo's Bizarre Adventure everyone should stop what their doing and watch it now.
Yeah pretty much what he/she said, be ready for off-the-wall madness and hyper-sexualized humor mixed in with the occasional sprinkling of social commentary, moral ambiguity, and the occasional serious moment.
There's also some sex-positive feminist undertones that are really well implemented, but that's something allot of people don't catch onto unless they're told what to look for.
But yeah, think The Powerpuff Girls + No More Heroes.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
MLP. I don't really watch much TV, much less cartoons. That's literally the only cartoon I watch regularly.
Why? Well, I'm a huge fan of colour and MLP has a huge colour palatte which pleases me immensely. I also believe the characters are well thought out and have depth and the show has some great life lessons which people older than myself could do well to learn. Like respect and tolerance to your fellow pon-, er, I mean, person.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
nr 3: my little pony friendship is magic. yupp. before you bronies come kill me for not putting it on nr 1. let me explain. it is a good show, cute animation, creative stories (not always but most the time), compelling characters and all in all brilliantly made.

nr 2: freakazoid(a.k.a internet the animated series). this was one of the first cartoons i ever saw and it infested in my brain and ruined everything. it's no logic, it's just blind comedic stupidity rolled up in a ball and spit out to us. the people.

nr 1: animaniacs. yes. i am a sucker for animanacs. sue me. it's in my opinion THE BEST CARTOON EVER! it was funny as hell, the characters was lovely and lovable, the songs are great, the animation is fantastic and i f***ing love animaniacs.

lotrfanatic1

Jun 10, 2009
Cardcaptors hands down ... 10 years later ish & its still my all time Favorite anime ... to show my love for it i got a cherry blossom branch tattooed from my hip round my chest & across my back =D

such rich & lovable characters with a fun story & great meaning behind it

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Batman TAS because it is the only show that got better as I grew up. Animation is stylish and atmosphheric. Writing is clever and dignified. It always has an atmosphere of mystery and tragedy to it. Musical score is nice too. It is the perfect balance between action and drama. It is the goddamn Batman...The Animated series

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
There are so many cartoons that I love to watch, but here are a few of my favourites:

Archer, Venture Bros., Lucy the daughter of the devil, The grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at law, Aqua teen hunger force, Courage the cowardly dog and Dexter's lab to name just a few. If I absolutely had to pick a favourite, it would probably be Courage the cowardly dog mainly because of this episode:

I showed this to a friend of mine and she freaked out.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Legion said:
From my childhood

Ed, Edd and Eddy. Let's put it this way, I can still quote it as a grown adult to a friend of mine or to my sister and we still find it funny.
Eddy: What happened to the stairs?

Ed: My parents took 'em down, 'cause I am grounded...

Edd: That's disturbing...

I don't know why, but there's a surreal edge to that that cracks me up whenever I think about it.

OT: My favorite Western cartoon is probably the Regular Show. It edges out Adventure Time because it's such an 80's and 90's throwback, which I have a soft spot for after growing up with Ed, Edd and Eddy, and Futurama, etc.

My favorite anime is just about a tie between One Piece, because ridiculous antics, the best characterization in a Shounen anime, and a great universe; and Deadman Wonderland, just because the power concept is badass, and the prison concept is delightfully dark.

Also, the characters are very atypical in an anime. Shame it didn't catch on enough for them to do season 2. Guess I'll just read the manga.

The Funi dubs of both these shows are absolutely brilliant.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Hmmmm....

In terms of North American Cartoons I'd probably go with Justice League Unlimited, Avatar The Last Airbender and/or Adventure Time depending on your preferences. But these are the ones I've rewatched over and over again.

For Anime...

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Eureka 7, Macross Frontier and the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy.