Your favourite forum punctuation?

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
I recently noticed while going through a few of my recent posts that almost everyone of them included an ellipsis (...) generally to signify a pause or a moment of confusion/disbelief

So wondering what punctuation technique escapists use most/like to use and why?

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
If you don't mean the Apostrophe, then...
Hyphens.
---------------------------
How awesome?

I give it a ----- out of -----.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I like watching for where the next ; is going to be! Nobody knows where it goes! :p

Wrists

May 26, 2010
I'm also a fan of ellipses...I mention them at every opportunity when analysing a script.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
On a smart-ass level, I would say the word FUCK! Because in Canada, Fuck is simply a form of verbal punctuation

On a realistic level, I too love the great ellipses

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
I, personally, go nuts with parentheses and dashes in my posts, because I can't be bothered to use periods. Seriously, if you look at a lot of my posts, they're often just a few absurdly long and syntactically complex sentences.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I find it disturbingly exciting to use semicolons. It's probably because no-one seems to understand them; in fact, one could call them underrated.

It's quite simple: a semicolon separates two unrelated clauses (grammatically unrelated, that is), which can each be treated as a separate sentence except that you shouldn't capitalise the first word.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
XinfiniteX said:
I like watching for where the next ; is going to be! Nobody knows where it goes! :p
I object harshly! I'm a regular user of the semi-colon; it appears in a great many of my posts!

Also ... is used a lot by me; perhaps I use them too much. Yes, I'm making a point with the excessive semi-colon usage.

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
bassdrum said:
I, personally, go nuts with parentheses and dashes in my posts, because I can't be bothered to use periods. Seriously, if you look at a lot of my posts, they're often just a few absurdly long and syntactically complex sentences.
I love adding asides (much like this one) to my posts. I like long sentences, but it does make it somewhat difficult to read, seeing as my parenthetical addendums are often quite long.

Also, I love using ellipses to signify either searching for the right word, or that I'm about to use a euphemism.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Being antagonistical to grammar nazis by forming adjectives out to nouns and verbs. Just like how many verbs were made out of nouns by Shakespearicles, the strongest writer who ever lived.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I use ellipses like crazy in writing, to give a sense of naturalistic speech patterns, but I think I use them pretty sparingly on forums.

Mind you, I do like my ;, my -, and my stacking exclamation marks!!!

But everyone knows the interrobang is the best thing ever. Don't they‽

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Tharwen said:
I find it disturbingly exciting to use semicolons. It's probably because no-one seems to understand them; in fact, one could call them underrated.

It's quite simple: a semicolon separates two unrelated clauses (grammatically unrelated, that is), which can each be treated as a separate sentence except that you shouldn't capitalise the first word.
Except you artificially inserted a semicolon into your first sentence; it clearly would have been better without one!

Who am I kidding, you can never have too many semicolons...

Also, parenthesis (like this) are also great. Actually the word itself is what makes it so great.

Parenthesis.

Par-EN-the-sis.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Elipses! I really like them. I use them to end my posts pretty often.

Although I imagine it would be pretty awkward if used in actually conversation...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I'm, well, not sure; I mean, punctuation: it's --don't take this the wrong way-- cool, and all, but at the same time, it's a little, well, annoying...