Your favourite moment of bad AI

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Simple really, what particular example of bad AI makes you chuckle/smile, or you just enjoy exploiting?

I love the AI in Fallout games if I'm honest. I help a town and get a squirrel on a stick for my troubles. I take it graciously and begin the looting. No one seems to bat an eyelid when everything not bolted to the ground is now missing, they even wave me on my way.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
My fondest memories of bad AI are in raven shield, its not so much bad AI but bad game maths, like the time i snipered some dude in the head twice only for him to spin round and one shot me with a handgun, or as another example the time i put three shotgun buckshot's into the spine of a tango at point black only for him to again spin round and one shot me, followed by then running off and killing my team mates aswell.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009

Gotta love oblivion for hilarious AI.

Not really terrible AI, but I just love the habit of the guards of Arkham asylum (although this applies to alot of stealth games) have of not looking up, no matter how many people they find strung up to one of the gargoyles.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
I remember in Nier, the first time I went to go kill that huge wild boar. At first it was kicking my ass, then I noticed it would get stuck on the big rocks sticking out of the ground. So I jumped onto one, and watched the stupid thing slam its head repeatedly into the rock to no effect. And that's how I kill them now, I let them slam into the rock and while it's stunned run down and slash it. Or hit it with magic from atop my perch. I'd always heard pigs were smart, maybe the apocalypse made them more hurrr durrr.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
The other day I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP, just doing some exploring, when I came upon two stalkers shooting at each other. Intrigued, I stayed and watched as they managed to shoot each other and go down simultaneously, though neither was actually killed. At this point a third stalker came strolling in our direction, seemingly not interested in what was going on. I picked up both stalkers' main weapons and gave them both a medkit, and as soon as they were on their feet they started shooting at each other again with pistols. Neither of them could aim very well so they were mostly hitting the ground and some trees, when out of nowhere the third stalker throws a grenade at the other two and casually walks away as the two stalkers still shooting each other both die in the explosion.
This isn't really bad AI but I thought it was rather curious and amusing that the third stalker didn't charge in or at least ready his weapon after throwing that grenade. It's like he suddenly remembered he had a grenade he didn't want, and just chucked it at the first moving thing he noticed.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
There was a battle towards the end of Final Fantasy Tactics where you have to take on a super-sorceror with a squad of ninjas guarding him. The bad AI? He charges directly towards you, leaving his bodyguards behind. And he's the only one you have to kill. And, if you have the right character in your party - and you will - you can actually one-shot the guy.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Vonnis said:
The other day I was playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP, just doing some exploring, when I came upon two stalkers shooting at each other. Intrigued, I stayed and watched as they managed to shoot each other and go down simultaneously, though neither was actually killed. At this point a third stalker came strolling in our direction, seemingly not interested in what was going on. I picked up both stalkers' main weapons and gave them both a medkit, and as soon as they were on their feet they started shooting at each other again with pistols. Neither of them could aim very well so they were mostly hitting the ground and some trees, when out of nowhere the third stalker throws a grenade at the other two and casually walks away as the two stalkers still shooting each other both die in the explosion.
This isn't really bad AI but I thought it was rather curious and amusing that the third stalker didn't charge in or at least ready his weapon after throwing that grenade. It's like he suddenly remembered he had a grenade he didn't want, and just chucked it at the first moving thing he noticed.
He knew that the grenade would kill the other two, and he also knew that real men don't turn around to look at explosions, they just keep walking like nothing happened. You should take some pointers from that Stalker, he's a real man's man.

Ryhzuo

Sep 19, 2010
I was playing Halo Reach the other day, on the mission where you drive around in a rocket-warthog. I took the turret and Kat (the ai) jumped into the drivers seat, promptly driving us straight off a cliff.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Seishisha said:
My fondest memories of bad AI are in raven shield, its not so much bad AI but bad game maths, like the time i snipered some dude in the head twice only for him to spin round and one shot me with a handgun, or as another example the time i put three shotgun buckshot's into the spine of a tango at point black only for him to again spin round and one shot me, followed by then running off and killing my team mates aswell.
Oh man, I remember stuff like that in Rogue Spear. You'd be some 50 feet behind the guy, take aim, fire, miss, only for him to spin around and blow your face off in about .01 seconds. Or if you even just got too close to the edge of a wall or doorway they'd just see you through it. What we're talking about is more engine hiccups but damn were those old clancy games bad.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
It's got to be Oblivion...I wandered into a room full of Necromancers and of course they start shooting at me. Unfortunately they started hitting each other as well and their whole lair just breaks out into this epic battle, it was hilarious. I just sat in the corner and they completely ignored me. I'm really not sure if that's bad AI or good AI :p.

Vonnis said:
. It's like he suddenly remembered he had a grenade he didn't want, and just chucked it at the first moving thing he noticed.
lol maybe he was over his weight capacity. :p

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
One time while I was playing San Andreas, I somehow aquired a moderate Wanted level. While fleeing from the police, I drove into a river and ended up just watching CJ tread water for a while. The police just kept coming at me, driving their cruisers off the nearby bridge and into the water like a flock of lemmings, guns blazing and sirens blaring.

I decided to use this opportunity to take a break while figuring out what to do when they chanced their tactics and sent a helicopter or something after me instead - but they never did! They simply kept driving an endless supply of police cars into the water until the last wanted star disappeared from the corner of my screen!

Eventually, they sent so many cars that some of them got trapped in a massive traffic jam on the bridge, never making it into the water at all, so I got to watch a magnificent spectacle of infinite police cars slamming into each other Blues Brothers style until one increasingly battered wreck in the center of the pile finally caught fire and exploded, causing a chain reaction that cleared the traffic jam in a matter of seconds.

Just in time for a fresh wave to arrive, starting the process over again.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Noticed one funny little thing while playing the Bodycount demo this morning: the AI has a fantastic habit of completely ignoring you.

I shot up a bunch of dudes in one area, shot an explosive barrel somewhere else. What happens? A guy from the next area runs through the area full of corpses and over to the explosive barrel blast zone... completely ignoring the gun-toting military man standing right the fuck there. And he gets shot in the back for his troubles.

Also Saint's Row 2 AI is fucking glorious in its stupidity sometimes. I've just shot up a whole bunch of people in a mall, so you'd think they'd run away. But no. Here comes an elderly black woman with a knife to very slowly attack the maniac who has just massacred literally 100 people with an assault rifle/grenade launcher combo weapon. Just... fantastic.

Plus the police have a lovely habit of picking fights with random civilians. And the police in Saint's Row... they don't arrest you for anything. They just beat you to death with sticks, tasers or pepper spray. For any offence. So it becomes suddenly quite dark when you see two cops beating up an old woman on the pavement outside a hospital...

Also they have a habit of occasionally throwing each other into oncoming traffic. Honestly, the first time I ever got the game about 5 minutes after I got to the actual city I saw some emo-looking dude pick up and vault a fat woman into the path of a gangster's gigantic truck as he tried to chase me.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
I wouldn't exactly call it my 'favourite' moment of AI, but it deserves a mention in the Crap AI Hall of Fame.

I was playing Homefront (which is where the problems started, but bear with me) and I was under attack from a battalion of Korean guards. I was stuck in an alcove, carefully lobbing grenades over a wrecked car in the hopes it would scatter them and lead them into my sights, and my two allies (who had described themselves as staunch anti-Koreans mere minutes beforehand) had the alcove I was in completely covered, meaning there was no way I would get blindsided without them doing something about it. So imagine my surprise when a grunt soldier walked up behind me and rifle-butt instakilled me. I heard no gunfire from my allies, no shouts of "there's one!" or "Watch out!", nothing! So either that grunt was a master of disguise or my allies were passive-aggressive at best.

It doesn't help that the Koreans in that game have bullets that can pass through solid brick walls, either.

It's by far some of the worst AI programming I've ever seen in a game ever, let alone a modern game.

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
In the first Saints Row I was supposed to fake an attack on one of my gang members (so not kill them) just when the mission was almost over she crashed into a semi and died...

I had to restart the whole mission.

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
GTA IV, messing around, four star wanted level, in a helicopter, the golden one from TBOGT. Jump out onto this random platform in the water, and I just watch the police repeatedly drive the cars into the water. It eventually stopped and the police would start looking around for me, also running into the water.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
F.E.A.R., but it could happen in other games as well.

Modern A.I. grids a level. When they "tactically" engage you, they maneuver from less optimal squares to more optimal squares.

So I have an enemy soldiers in a corner an toss him a grenade, it lands more or less directly in front of him. He can't escape to the left, right or back due to the walls. He makes a step forward, then backward and again. When he made a step forward, the square behind was probably marked the safest around. Still just 10 feet from a grenade.
So the soldier tucks his head in and ducks.

It looked a little like Willy Coyote opening an umbrella to shield him from a falling rock.

---

Also, technically not bad A.I., but in a lot of RPGs you can knock people down, steal from them, rape a girl in front of them and they still engage you in nice small talk and/or help you out.

It's like you knock a quest-giver down, rob him, he gets up and an auto-message plays saying "Wait, 'til I get my hands on you, you bastard!" - Then you press the talk-to key and he's like "Hey, how did your travels to Brindin'gwyrk go?"