Your favourite musical genre mashups

Dec 14, 2009
Okay we all like music and we all have our favourite genres and sub-genres and sub-sub-genres etc etc etc.

What is your favourite (if any) genre mashup?

I have a holy trinity of awesomeness when it comes to music.

Rock/metal

Orchestral

Electronic

All of these genres sound awesome together.

These are just a few of my personal favourites.

I like all of these genres separately, but if someone can get them together, and get them together really well, it just hits all the right buttons in my head when it comes to music.

So, what are your favourite mashups?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
If you like your violins to wub then look no further than this soulshaking performance by Nero and the BBC Philharmonic:

Also I always enjoyed this rendition of Cruel Angel's Thesis, which I suppose qualifies as J-pop:

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Well Ian Brown has a indie rock/house music thing going on, everything Ian Brown is awesome he's the chuck norris of music.
Behold!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I love me some ska punk. Seriously it's the happiest genre on Earth

EDIT: Forgot about Hocus Pocus. French hip-hop mixed with jazz and funk. Works really well

In fact hip-hop can work well with pretty much anything if done right.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
As much as I hate dubstep, dubstep mixed with hard house (or dubstep with a "I can go four to the floor or breakbeat whenever I want!" attitude) is pretty awesome. So is drumstep.

Drumstep: Sadly I have no examples of Dubstep/Hard House.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I love Trip-Gaze, and I wish there was more of it. Shame it's as obscure as it comes.

To a genre layman, that's a fusion of Trip-Hop, and Shoegaze by the way.

A great example is this fantastic song.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011

and when I think about it

Yeah that's all I can think of right know.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I also love electronic orchestral and symphonic metal. Particularly Rhapsody of Fire for the latter. High Epic Fantasy stories with Orchestras, Choirs and a metal band? Awesome.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Electroswing is something I just discovered

Love that song. Btw not a brony(Not that theres anything wrong with that :p), I discovered electroswing because some guy on youtube uploaded a song of the genre that Im subbed to.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Volf said:

and when I think about it

Yeah that's all I can think of right know.
Cowboy Bebop is Big Band Swing...or maybe Big Band Jazz...depends on who you ask.

Samurai Champloo is pure oldskool Hip-Hop.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Funk Metal, yes, I know, it sounds absolutely ridiculous..But! Lots of RHCP songs fall under funk metal

Have a listen!

Seriously...man..It's just beautiful

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
wintercoat said:
Cowboy Bebop is Big Band Swing...or maybe Big Band Jazz...depends on who you ask.
In the big band era, there wasn't a clear distinction between jazz and swing. It was only when bebop got introduced that the two diverged. Swing is meant to be danceable, has lyrics and is generally taken to be a bit more "poppy". Bebop is more progressive and focused on instrumental skill.

The Cowboy Bebop theme is closest to the sound of Charles Mingus, who is categorised as post-bop or hard bop.

My suggestion is post-punk/funk/dub:

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Linkin Park showed their talents with this rap/Arabic mix on their latest album. Worth listening to even if you're not a fan of their older work.<youtube=dltPKw9vSto>

How about some Ska mixed with Pop/Punk? The massively under-celebrated Saving Aimee!
Ignore the fact that they look like 17 year-old douches...
<youtube=I2duSMVsY04>