Your favourite piece of Final Fantasy music

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title say it all. Final Fantasy, one of my favourite video games franchises from when I was growing up, had among the best music I've ever heard in any video game, something that many others seem to agree on.

However, which of the many tracks that famed composer Nobuo Uematsu (and others) made for the series do you consider to be your favourite?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013

Obviously this one - it's just so jaunty and catchy. Thanks, Jim.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I've always been partial to Holding My Thoughts In My Heart.
So peaceful, yet so melancholy.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I have 2:
This: Arranged: And this from 8, for the guy who should have been the hero, really: And the Black Mages again:

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
And finally, while I'm not particularly partial to 6's remix of the battle theme, the composer's metal cover is just the best goddamn thing.
I'll get off your thread now.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I don't think I can honestly say I have 1 favorite so I will put the favorites that come to mind first.

Take a guess as to which Final Fantasy is my favorite. Bet you cannot guess. Now if you will all excuse me I have a sudden urge to play Final Fantasy IX.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:

Now if you will all excuse me I have a sudden urge to play Final Fantasy IX.
You stole my answer, you sexy person, you.

Also see, the rest of the Final Fantasy IX. The music for the Black Mage Village, Ukelele de Chocobo, Quina's theme is always fun... Oh dear, I had better stop there before I start fangirling.

Ee, just listening to the opening makes me feel giddy. :3

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Since the previous posters have already gone through most of the good music from FFIX, FFVI and FFVII, I'll just say one that I liked from FFXIII-2:
I'm not honestly sure why I liked it so much. I think it's probably due to how unlike the rest of the soundtrack it is, and how the rap reminded me in a good way of Persona 3's battle theme.
The final boss theme was pretty good too.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
I did feel like simply posting the entire OST in my post but I think that might have been abit much so I just picked a few. But while I love FF IX for many reasons the music is first among them. Well joint first I love the story as well.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
One Winged Angel for sure. Just the feeling of power that comes from that song.

I also like the intro song for Final Fantasy VIII, as well as The Landing from FFVIII.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've played one Final Fantasy game, that is 13. Guess I could post the one song I enjoy from it.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Only posting ones that haven't been yet, otherwise You're Not Alone would definitely be on here.

One for being the best song in my favourite of the series set at an extremely clutch moment, the other one is my favourite boss battle theme that I feel truly captures the struggle of mere mortals fighting against the physical embodiment one of the 13 Zodiacs appointed by the Gods.
They're also usually some of the hardest battles too- even the first one, Belias/Velius (ironic how the weakest one here was the hardest one in FFXII's 'predecessor', FFT), is leagues beyond any challenge you've seen thus far. Even on the DS speakers in Revenant Wings this song sounds epic. I liked Battle for Freedom's remixing the Empire and Dalmasca themes too but it had a ridiculously long build up before it got interesting, which I later found out was to accommodate the cutscene of the final boss' transformation.
Finally, the most relaxing town theme ever for one of my favourite towns in the series. Too bad you don't get to spend more time there.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I can't pick out individual tracks from FF7 because the whole score kinda works together as one epic whole.

The opening Bombing Mission track gets me pumped though.

I don't like Final Fantasy very much but Nobuo Uematsu's music has inspired my own music more than almost any other composer.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
I only played through FF8, which... soured me on the series. It did have some amazing music, though. I'll toss out 'Burning Blood' from Final Fantasy Legend 3. Even today, it amazes me how much it gets from a Game Boy's tinny little speakers.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
The lack of songs from the best Final Fantasy (VI) game disturbs me...

I think my favorite song is "Searching for friends. It absolutely nails the somber mood while giving you a sense of hope.

Not to mention how great these are:

And let's not forget, Final Fantasy 6 contains what is arguably Uematsu's most ambition composition

On a side note, you should definitely check out this kickstarted fan-made remaster of the entire Final Fantasy VI ost. It's pretty awesome!

TL;DR FF6 was the best FF.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
To Zanarkand was the first piece I learned to play on piano, and that's actually what got me into Final Fantasy! The piano version of Those Who Fight is also amazing, as is the Black Mages version of One-Winged Angel.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Best Boss battle music i have ever had a pleasure to hear.

Final Fantasy XIII - Sabers Edge

XIII-2 have an awesome j-pop song, it's one of my favorites.

Plains Of Eternity

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
The fact that nobody has mentioned Otherword yet is fucking criminal! Though To Zanarkand is the theme I always think of when any question of FF music comes up. Also the battle themes from X and XIII are awesome.

And no I can't be bothered to add links, somebody else can do that.

Sep 14, 2009
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I can't pick out individual tracks from FF7 because the whole score kinda works together as one epic whole.

The opening Bombing Mission track gets me pumped though.
agreed, the music REALLY sets the tone for the beginning of the game, whenever I hear it plus the train in the background, nostalgia comes exploding out of my eardrums

OT: gonna go a bit off here and use my favorite fighting game ever, final fantasy dissida.

the chaos theme has 3 different parts, and they are all great in their own right, but part 3 is definitely my favorite:

love the transititions going on in different parts of the song, it's hectic but I love it.