Your favourite piece of Final Fantasy music

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
All of them.

EDIT: But not really. Everything 12 and down, minus x-2, and 11 because I haven't played it, but it might have some good tracks idk :p

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
This is my favorite Final Fantasy Song. I don't Like the English version that much.
With out repeating these are tied for my second place

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Hands down, Opera Maria & Draco from 6. An otherwise goofy game full of 2d caricatures and a hackneyed plot, the music was nonetheless excellent, and that piece in particular stands head and shoulders above most other FF pieces, and indeed, most video game music in general.

A beautiful orchestral number segues into a stilted waltz that progresses seamlessly into a fierce battle theme as two opponents war over their love, their prize... even in the OST version, without any vocals, you can hear the passion and longing, but when belted out by actual opera singers, it's magnificently gripping. Nothing else comes close, really.

Nobuo has a large number of fantastic pieces, but typically they're all... monotone within themselves? One theme, one melody, one motif throughout the whole song. Even epic pieces like Liberi Fatali and One-Winged Angel with all the god chorus you can handle are limited by the one-track nature of the song. Expanding that into a multi-"movement" piece, interspersed with singing, is simply masterful. The best of the best, in other words. If I have to point anyone to a single piece to justify Nobuo's godhood, it's this one.

Various live versions [https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=distant+worlds+opera]

Different singers at different venues, all adding their interpretations of the characters. Hard to tell which one is best - unfortunately there are very few (none?) official video recordings, so most of them range from potato to shaky cam, but you can still see and hear most of what's going on. Definitely recommended if you enjoy the song - and opera singers.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Dark World is a simple tune from FFVI, but it's really effective.

Within The Giant is tied with Into The Darkness for one of my favorite FFIV songs.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009

Well, people have already mentioned all my favourite FF7 pieces; so here is my favourite piece from FFX. As I've said in previous threads; this gets me pumped, it plays in the first FMV (IIRC) of the game and it really got me excited to play the game.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Final Fantasy 6 - "Dancing Mad"

17 minutes of awesome epic orchestral/prog-rock music with an ominous pipe organ section in the middle. One of the best game endings of all time, and the music has a lot to do with it.

On the same subject, the ending theme is also a work of musical genius, the way it transitions through all of the different characters' theme songs before ending in a rousing epic adaptation of the classic Final Fantasy prologue song. I wish modern games would put this much effort into their endings.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Music-wise the Final Fantasy games have been noted for doing everything, and doing it amazingly well. There's their epic music [small](One-winged Angel!)[/small], their somber music [small](Freya's Theme from IX)[/small], their uplifting music [small](pretty much any airship-related theme)[/small], their inspiring music [small](Cid's Theme from VII)[/small], even their damn OPERA music [small](VI. Natch.)[/small]

But the one thing I had never expected to hear in one of them -

Honorable mention:

(One of very few things I truly loved about FFVIII.)

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
While my love for FF has become borderline nonexistent lately, the music has always been a selling point for me.
Some of my favorites in no particular order.

Dissida Duodcim: Cantata Mortis & God in Fire
Orchestral build up of doom leading to ass kicking rock and roll. Always a great way to present a final boss.

Final Fantasy X: Otherworld
Final Fantasy X was the first game in the series I played and this song left quite the impression. My first impression up to that point was something along the lines of "okay, where the fuck are we going with this?" Then the song plays and the accompanying cutscene with it. Hooked for about a month.

Dissidia's entire OST now that I think of it.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I've always really enjoyed the updated FFVII soundtrack in Crisis Core.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
From Final fantasy tactics: Antipyretic is a good song

Since alot of the ones i like were posted, i guess some from FF-13-2 were ok too.

I like the whole song from the world select(called Historia Crux ) in ff13-2, namely 1/2 through at 2:30

I also liked the passive version of this song, but all i could find(too lazy) was the battle version
(the song is called Ruined hometown)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
That's what made me buy the game. When the intro has a credits sequence more epic than 90% of the game endings at the time, you know you are up for a good time.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
One of my favourite pieces from anything ever, saw it played live at the Distant Worlds tour in November, it was fantastic. So noble, mixed with a tinge of sadness but a little hope too.

To Zanarkand has to be my second favourite, no point posting it again though. Really sings to me of both leaving and coming home, plus I just love FFX.

Honourable mention to the Hymn of The Fayth from FFX, such a haunting melody; Distant Worlds opened with this, in pitch darkness. Fantastic!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm a HUGE fan of the Black Mages and even the harp versions of classic FF songs.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I don't have a favorite. It's all so great. Pretty much anything in the FFIX OST (Uematsu's personal favorite) is a good pick. But to chose a couple that haven't been picked.
Now that's some major dungeon/plot thickening music right there.

Also, from FFV, Clash on the Big Bridge (Gilgamesh's theme)

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
'The place i'll return to someday' from FF9 just makes me feel exactly as the title says.
Like, this is home, but not yet, there are things i need to do first.

*sigh* I need to go play that right now...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, pretty much everything from 7 is pure gold. I actually liked the smaller, more personal pieces to the big epic songs. Everyone loves One Winged Andgel (because it's fucking awesome) but I would have to go with Tifas theme. That always brings me back.

This is probably one of my favorite songs. The fact that it's attached to one of my favorite video game characters of all time is completely coincidental. They do compliment each other, though. I just replayed this game with my little sister, actually. It was magic to see someone experience it for the first time : ]

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Final Fantasy VI was my favorite FF game, and of course Dancing Mad would be my favorite track. There's a really good metal version that got made called Monolith, and I haven't found it anywhere other than on Newgrounds, of all places. Here you go. [http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/560291]

Some other good tracks, along with my favorite versions of them are:

And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't add a couple more versions of my favorite song: