Your FIRST playthrough of Mass Effect 1

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, yeah. Another Mass Effect thread. I know, sorry. I'm just very late to the party.

That said:

I just beat Mass Effect the First, two days ago. My little brother beat it 4 times in the 3 or 4 weeks it took me to play it to the end (I don't spend a lot of time on the computer that's got it installed, and I usually only play for at most an hour at a time).

Late to the party we be, but yeah.

Still, this late to the party, I managed to go into the game knowing pretty much NOTHING about it, other than the fact that you can bang a couple of your crew mates (But then, how many people DIDN'T know about that by the time it was released?). So without spoilers, I played a game that I fairly thoroughly enjoyed, without knowing what my choices would lead me to.

So basically, I'm curious about how you played through the first time. Mostly, I'm interested in three points:

1) Paragon or Renegade?
2) Who did you save? Ashley / Kaiden?
3) What did you do to the Rachni Queen?
4) Did ya screw your shipmates?

Personally, I played a (mostly) Paragon, though slugging the crazed Technician on Eden Prime was too funny to pass on (And it WAS for his own good!). Five minutes into the game, I found that I couldn't stand Kaiden, so at the first opportunity, I booted him and never looked back. I was even frustrated when I realized it wanted me to use him in that last mission. Obviously, I saved Ashley at the end 'cause I REALLY couldn't stand the guy.

In the end, I let the Rachni Queen free (And I guess if I ever get ME2 I'll find out what that'll lead to), and didn't actually do anything with my shipmates. It seemed out of character for the person I was playing.

Anyways, like I said, I'm interested in your FIRST play through, preferably when you had no idea what would be happening.

Sorry for the Mass Effect thread, but I'm curious!

[EDIT]

Am I the only person who played as if the morale of your team meant anything? Like, taking Garrus to kill Dr. Heart, or giving Wrex the chance to take Saren's head at the end? I even put Liara into combat intermediately after killing her mom in an attempt to 'snap' her out of the psychological trauma and get her functioning by giving her a mission.

Which, that last one, come to think of it kind of backfired. She never was quite right after that. Her AI got buggy. o_O

And she started hitting on me...

Liara's a strange one...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The one I DIDN'T carry over? The one from 2 years ago?

I was a uber generic Soldier (I can't imagine being a boring enough RPG to even choose THAT class again).

And a giant prick to everyone.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I went Paragon on my first playthrough. I preferred Renegade much more to be honest. I saved Kaiden, on accident really. Didn't care that Ashley died though, she was kind of a *****. I let the Rachni Queen go.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
First playthrough I was a jerk with a heart of gold. Renegade, but saved the rachni queen and all of my team members (except Kaiden). I was also a vanguard and delighted in running face first into enemies with my shotgun.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
In my first through, I was strictly Paragon. I had Ashley killed because I frankly like Kaidan's personality more (Mainly since he seemed a lot less racist, and seemed to share some of my real-life views). I saved the Rachni Queen, as I don't like killing things. I was still pissed at Rachni in general when the Russian guy in the basement got impaled, though. I didn't DO IT with my shipmates, as I didn't really want to at all.

And thanks to my pouring of skill points into Charm, I also saved Wrex and felt very bad for Saren in the end.
I thought Ashley was ignorant, and I hated the fact that every time I ended a conversation with her, my voice actor said "Chief" in the most flirtacious way possible, but I still liked her better than Kaiden... =p

And I saved Wrex 'cause he and Tali were by FAR my favorite characters in the game. I didn't really feel sorry for Saren, but... -shrugs- lol

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
My first playthrough (and the one I ported over to ME2) was

Soldier, Paragon (like you said, mostly - probably the most renegade thing I did was shoot a guy during a conversation)
Saved Ash (really, who saves Kaiden?)
Let the Rachni Queen go (glad I did, they're going to save my ass when I fight the Reapers)
Slept with Ash (no wierd blue chicks for MY Shep)

I think we should also add -

Did you save the Council or let them die? (I saved 'em)
Did you kill Wrex? (I didn't - he and Garrus are my battle brothers!)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Oh it's been years since my first playthrough. I'll try my best to remember it, but it was a while back.

Koeryn said:
1) Paragon or Renegade?
I really don't remember. I'm guessing it was paragon since I always tend to lean towards the good side in video games.

2) Who did you save? Ashley / Kaiden?
Don't quite remember, but I'm going to bet that it was Kaiden. The first time I played the game I almost never talked to Ashley, so I was under the assumption that she was nothing more than an ignorant, racist *****. So I imagine that I relished the ability to dispose of her on Virmire. And now I feel kind of guilty about it.

3) What did you do to the Rachni Queen?
I probably set her free. Thought I might not of. Either me or my brother decided to gas her, I just can't remember which.

4) Did ya screw your shipmates?
No. I always abstain from video game romances.

Sorry for the Mass Effect thread, but I'm curious!
I don't see what there is to apologize about. When did Mass Effect suddenly become taboo?

Anyways, sorry I can't give you better details. Like I said, I barely remember my first playthrough.

ThaBenMan said:
Saved Ash (really, who saves Kaiden?)
People who think Ashley is a *****, or people who have Kaiden as their LI. Otherwise there really aren't any reasons to save him over Ashley. He's just so dull. Reminds me to much of myself. If I could throw people across the room with my brain, I bet I would still be just as boring as Kaiden.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I was Paragon all the way, baby. I used a FemShep with a lightly scarred face and classed as infiltrator.
(because popping watermelons heads never gets old)
I also saved Wrex, the Rachni queen, and got Saren to honor-kill himself, while romancing Kaiden and leaving Ash to die (IIRC).
My 2nd playthrough, otoh, was as the sinister hybrid of Fu Manchu and J. Jonah Jameson (with bright green eyes, for those familiar with FF7: mako eyes hur hur).
Manipulatively evil, which I suspect tells you what happened with the Rachni. "You can go fre - wait, no, just joshing you".

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Paragon
Ashley (After paying more attention to her, I'm not sure why)
Saved
Ashley (Now I know why, Achievable)

In a more personal touch
I used Infiltrator, Was careful with what I said and did, Did every side quest I could find (There were unexplored Galaxies, but with no way to track where I had and hadn't been, I just said "Screw it") and abused my Tech-Mine ablilties.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I was a complete dick so Renegade, I had Kaidan killed in the bomb attack and i also killed the Rachni Queen damn spiders. I only screwed Tali and Ashley.

kampori

Jan 25, 2010
On my veeery first playthrough, I was:

Paragon (HATED it)
Saved Ashley
Let Rachni queen free
romanced Ashley (just for kicks, I hated her).

But I hated my character by the end- just felt generically fake.
So I immediately made a new character and made a great one:

Renegade (The only way Shepard should be)
Saved Kaiden
Let Queen go
Romanced Liara

Veilside

Feb 17, 2010
Paragon
Saved Ashley and Wrex
Can't remember...probably let it go
I remember deepsixing Ashley, blue alien chick, and Tali...no one in Dragon Age yet however!

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I stopped playing right at the point where you get the Normandy and get to explore planets. I landed on my first empty planet. Got killed by the first aliens I saw after driving around aimlessly for a while. Left the planet. Had no idea where to go. Realized that I couldn't get into the story and the gameplay sure isn't enough to keep me going so I quit.

Then I played some more halo 3. Hate me all you want.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
I took the "Paragon path" (as Mass Effect 2 calls it) throughout the whole game, and on Virmire I saved Ashley, due to being the Default Shephard.
I found Liara to be a bit too odd for my tastes, and therefore I bedded Williams shortly before the endgame.

The most frustrating part of the game were pretty much the entirety of Feros, especially if you are Paragon.
And contrary to what most people say, I found the random planet Mako drives to be very entertaining, and now in hindsight, it helped make the Mass Effect universe seem larger, since you could drive from one end of a large(/-ly featureless) map to the other.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Paragon, Ashley, Saved, Ashley

Damn, this thread makes me want to play through 1 again. Favorite part was easily either the Citadel, Virmire, or Noveria.