Your Game Music is Bland and You Should Feel Bad

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
elvor0 said:
Boooo, shame on you Yahtzee, the Halo Games have excellent soundtracks! I mean we all remember this right?

Du du du dunnn, du du du dunnn, du du du duuun de do de

But on topic, yeah we don't get too much great stuff these days, some of it's alright, some of it sorta good, but nothing iconic, aside from the aforementioned Halo theme, I mean where's our new Nobuno Uenmatso for the new generation? I ask mainly because he hasn't done anything since Lost Odessy to my knowledge, and every instrument is his *****.

I suspect the real reason we haven't seen him is because he's actually the devil, and he's busy schooling people in various rock offs.
I came here for this reason. One of the most iconic things about the Halo series is the soundtrack, and probably one of the best things about the games. I even learned to play this particular mix on the guitar once (forgot it now).

I love Marty O'Donnell.

Alan Wake also had some really cool songs in it (Nick Cave, Bowie), despite not being an original soundtrack, and especially hearing that Cave song on a radio in the forest really added to the experience I must say.

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
Xdeser2 said:
You're kidding me, right?

Most games with OS's use them incredibly well. And saying that Halo has a bad soundtrack? You can accuse Halo of alot of shit, but saying its, I dont know, dumbed down music in games, thats defiantly not it.

Having a "hummable" track dosent mean jack shit for the quality of the music, really. It just seems like your playing to the "Gaming sucks because its not exactly like what it used to be" crowd -_-
Well Halo has actually been dead for quite a while now, so it's not exactly a new AAA release.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
My brain hit a wall trying to sing Emerald Hill's theme, the Super Sonic theme, and the ending theme all at once. I am a happy person.

There are a handful of orchestral songs that fit in my mind... Skyrim's theme is one that my friends and I sing. Not many but a handful.

Katamari on the Rocks deserves some mention... I guess that's a bit old to some, but still certainly worth it to me.

But it's nothing today compared to, say, any given earlier console. That I can't think of a single song from FFXIII and can hum or play every song from FFIX is a good show...

But I'm the guy who has "Live and Learn" as his alarm, so...

nykirnsu

Oct 13, 2012
Annihilist said:
Xdeser2 said:

Most games with OS's use them incredibly well. And saying that Halo has a bad soundtrack? You can accuse Halo of alot of shit, but saying its, I dont know, dumbed down music in games, thats defiantly not it.

Having a "hummable" track dosent mean jack shit for the quality of the music, really. It just seems like your playing to the "Gaming sucks because its not exactly like what it used to be" crowd -_-
Well Halo has actually been dead for quite a while now, so it's not exactly a new AAA release.
What? There was a new game less than a year ago.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Gaming has changed and so has it's music. Back in the day, you had to have a catchy melody, because that was the games' primary source of audio. Nowadays, there are other ways to utilize music in a game.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
There are a great many video game soundtracks now. Problem is, they mainly stem from Japan. Try listening to the Soul Calibur IV OST, or Sonic Unleashed (as flawed as the game is, the soundtrack is marvelous).

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Probably wasn't the best idea to criticise triple A games for being bland and start with Halo. Those games are legendary for their soundtracks. That said, I don't quite agree when he says the orchestral/techno-inspired soundtracks of most triple-A games are bland. Taste in music is a subjective thing and I'm personally quite fond of that type of thing. The ones that spring to mind for me are Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 - the dragon fight theme and Leaving Earth are two of my favourite gaming songs, even if neither of them are quite as iconic as Super Mario Bros or the Tetris theme. Rayman: Origins was pretty awesome for a modern game as well.

I am very fond of those moments in games where they'll switch to a licensed song to provide a bit of punch like the "I Need a Hero" moment mentioned (though that reminded me of the climax of Shrek 2 more than anything else). José González in Red Dead Redemption anyone? People mentioned the awesome use of 'Snake Eater' in MGS3, but Peace Walker did something equally sweet with 'Heaven's Divide'.

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
nykirnsu said:
Annihilist said:
Xdeser2 said:

What? There was a new game less than a year ago.
Bungie respectfully discontinued the franchise. Halo is therefore over - Bungie left it alone because it needn't be milked for cash any more. Microsoft shamelessly resurrected it so they could make more money from it.

It's not a Halo game. It's just another bland AAA title with the world "Halo" stamped on it.

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
Can I just add that the eerie music to the stealth sections of Beyond Good and Evil really made the game spectacular for me. It completed the experience.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
i think Bioshock uses music to good effect, especially Infinite. Must agree about Saints Row 3, the very first time my character started singing along, I literally could not stop laughing and the final mission with Bonnie Tyler playing was incredible too.

Super Meat Boy is another good example of using music well, however I don't know if that is classed as a AAA game.

zanzarra

Oct 12, 2009
Umm... have to disagree with Yahtzee here.
For example, I could hum 3 to 4 Jeremy Soule tracks from different games without even pausing to remember - and that even if you count all Elder Scrolls themes as a single entry.

Drefanator

Nov 24, 2009
3 words. Ni No Kuni.

The main theme, over world theme, battle theme. All magical and amazing. Its one of the few games that i've played in years where i just sat and listened to the music over and over.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Andy of Comix Inc said:

As a musician and composer, I have to say: I don't think a theme song being "humable" is a very good metric when determining how effective a soundtrack is. By all definition, a soundtrack's job is to compliment, not overburden. In the retro days of memorable, catchy tunes, game soundtracks were the most prominent sound effect - nowadays, aural atmosphere is achieved by so many disciplines that the soundtrack's prominence would act against it.

Orchestrations have produced many memorable game soundtracks, don't get me wrong. I think Halo Reach's is actually the best Halo soundtrack, Super Mario Galaxy has twice provided exhilarating scores, and games like Asura's Wrath and Rayman Origins have provided a uniqueness in full orchestral scores quite unlike their peers.

Not every game needs an orchestral score, this much is true. And simpler is often better, this too is true. But orchestral soundtracks have provided some of the best music in videogames, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.
Durn, beat me to it.

Just because the orchestral compositions aren't 'hum-along' catchy doesn't mean they aren't fulfilling their duty as a score.

That said, there's room for both. It's just that we've so much of one style for so long we're all fairly sick of it.
And I absolutely hate Two Steps From Hell.
Just....throwin' it out there.

duck-man

Mar 17, 2009
The last thing that stuck out for me was just after the Borderlands 2 credits. I skipped them but 'How you like me now' kept playing. It felt like I was playing the opening cutscene.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Quick (though it turns out, not that short), not-even-skimmed response to original assertation:

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly.

Now, that doesn't automatically mean that all John Williams-esque orchestral game soundtrack music is inherently crap and unmemorable... but there does come a point where it all starts to merge together into one big sticky lump.

I can barely tell the difference between the themes from the different Star Wars prequels for heaven's sake, and wouldn't be able to spot the Avatar overture even from point-blank range. I've listened through to a three box set of the Halo soundtracks and still haven't a hope of being able to tell which one a particular piece was from. Or that it was from Halo at all. Or a videogame rather than some random film.
OTOH there are plenty that do stand out, though mainly in films rather than games (earlier Williams stuff, and Joe Hisaishi are good examples of the genre being used for effect, but unique and interesting composition still showing through).

Whereas I can identify a lot more older BGM pretty easily. When all you've got to work with is three pure tones, a noise channel and whatever glitch effects you can discover - or maybe a 6-voice FM synth, or 8-voice 8-bit sample tracker, both of which have to be shared with the SFX - the focus seems to end up more on the compositional side in order to both differentiate your tunes from everyone else's (who will largely be using the same "instruments", or at least sharing some common samples from the devkit because making new ones that don't sound like crap is expensive and difficult), and to actually make them worth listening to in the first place despite exhibiting otherwise unattractive timbres. Bizarrely, the opening of Streets of Rage on the Game Gear is still one of the more evocative bits of intro music, to my ear. You could probably make it better by using an actual flute and pop-orchestra back up to perform the same notes, but the soul of it is already there coming through the PSG.

And, well ... Monkey Island 1+2. The jury's out on whether the General MIDI or the CDDA version is better.

However there is also the third way - less cod-orchestral pre-recorded compositions. There's a lot of those which have their own character, and really help with the "feel" and identity of a game title. Gran Turismo did this well, for all its faults both musical and gameplay-wise... how many other games have a semi orchestral soft rockin' guitar solo intro with an actually identifiable leitmotif that continues down the series, but then switch to overbearing Smooth Jazz for the menus (... yet have pretty generic whoever's-in-the-charts licensed music and cheap-rate original compositions for the actual driving sections)? The SSX and even GTA series have soundtrack CD worthy selections of licensed and original work across many genres which somehow still manage, through supra-generic thematic content, to tie together a subliminal image of what the game's about. Every Final Fantasy has its own attractive musical identity despite spanning not only more than a dozen installments, but every major hardware generation since the 80s. And then we have the 22khz, mono, ADPCM daddy of the lot, the Command and Conquer series, where playing in silence just wasn't the same, and when you hear a bit of the music, having played the game at all, you know exactly where it's from.

But still enough people seem to think "I know what will make our game/movie seem more epic and timeless: SWELLING STRINGS, SOME TIMPANIS AND A HORN SECTION! Get me the number for the London Philharmonic, stat!"... but don't bother actually making something you can then find yourself humming on the way to work.
/facepalm

(post second-proofread self-commentary edit: wow, I don't know what was in that last cup of tea, but I'm going for another one as I've some difficult brainwork to do this afternoon and that level of (even if false) erudity will come in very useful)

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Another good example of excellent music in modern-day games; Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The soundtrack is so good it's being licenses for AAA movie "After Earth"

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/deus-ex-track-used-in-after-earth-will-smiths-fatherson-scifi-movie-18079

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet: 80s song used to accompany a big moment in the game?

Turn up the radio!

Also, although themes are less "hummable" they're still pretty memorable. I couldn't hum "Icarus" from Deus Ex or "Vigil" from Mass Effect but they're both really good pieces.

takfar

May 22, 2013
I mostly agree with the article, and my favorite songs are mostly the ones from 8 bit or 16 bit games (Chrono Trigger is my favorite soundtrack ever). That said, I see three reasons to explain how un-memorable most soundtracks are these days:

1) Action: There's much more stuff going on than there used to be in the past. Back in the 8/16bit days, we had barebones graphics and sound, and music was much more prominent, especially in the slower-paced games. I recall reading from a videogame music composer that when they were making turn-based RPGs, they had to use more active, striking, music to keep the players engaged, whereas with more action-oriented games, it can take a seat back and let the game action itself set the tempo for the player. It makes sense.

2) Repetition: We (well, I, at least) tend to spend a lot less time with individual games nowadays. It was harder to have access to games, and back when we were "analog", we consumed media at a much slower pace. We used to play games for weeks, repeat single levels for hours upon hours upon hours until we were able to advance. I have the Rolling Thunder (NES) firmly ingrained in my mind because of that. And who doesn't remember the Top Gear (NES) iconic tunes? I spent months playing around with "build" for Duke Nukem 3D, playing and replaying levels, and I can hum all songs from the game's first episode effortlessly. The town music from the first Diablo is part of my psyche at this time.

3) Intention: It's not in most of the current developers' intentions to make a strong, identifiable melody/harmony, they simply treat the soundtrack as background noise intended to subliminarly increase or release player tension, so they're not really trying to make great songs, just psychological triggers.

That said, the modern soundtracks that I can remember best are basically songs I've heard over and over and over again continuously: soundtracks to grand strategy games, like Civilization or Total War (spent hundreds of hours on each, listening to the same songs). Some songs from Guild Wars (the only one mmorpg-ish game which I played for long hours, over 1000, in fact). And recently, the songs from Pushmo/Crashmo, the 3DS downloadable puzzle game, but that's a lot closer to traditional melody-crafting (I played them for a combined time of over 30 hours over the last month. Great little games).

Other than repetition, the other way to make a song memorable these days, I find, is to just include something that shakes up the aural landscape. A complete change of tone, or the inclusion of vocals on and otherwise instrumental only soundtrack. It works in TV/Movies: watch Collateral ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369339/ ) and tell me the song segment in the middle of the movie isn't something to remember; and who else had goosebumps all over when they heard Johnny Cash in the first season finale for Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles (warning: spoilers in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIIFQ42s_tM )? It works in videogames, too.

All that said, I do believe we have great composers in the current industry, Jeremy Soule being the most recognizable name, and Jeff van Dyck being another of my favorites.