Your Gaming Roots

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This was a thought I had while reading through this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.260936-1st-vs-3rd-Person-Lets-Brainstorm] on 1st vs 3rd person in games. A lot of people would mention how they grew up playing Quake or Doom, and that 1st person just feels more natural to them. Then I thought about myself. I grew up playing mostly platformers and Zelda games. It's not a surprise then that 3rd person feels more natural to me. But further than that, I still enjoy platformers and I love games that are basically about the epic quest. I'm interested in seeing how others' tastes have evolved as far as games go.

Me:

First games: Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Most loved games of my childhood: Ocarina of Time, Shadowrun (SNES), Donkey Kong 64

And today: Basically, any BioWare game. Also, I'm still a huge Zelda fan (Twilight Princess is actually my favorite in the series, believe it or not). I don't play as many platformers, but thats largely because we don't see as many great 3D platformers as we did around the late 90s and early 2000's. Some first person games have crept in too: Oblivion (though I explore in 3rd) and Team Fortress 2.

Some things are obvious. I like Mario and Zelda then, and I still do. The SNES Shadowrun game has very many similarities to a number of BioWare games, especially the first Mass Effect. This shows a lack of evolution in my tastes, actually. But what about you?

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Well, I touched my first video game at 5 years old, but I never started liking playing video games until I was about 7 or 8. I played some N64 and liked Ocarina of Time and SSB. I sucked at video games back then though. I started getting better at games only recently actually, at around 12 or 13... Only recently started playing online at 14. I enjoy Fallout New Vegas, Blazblue games, and some of the classics like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask still. Great games, all of them.

Apr 28, 2008
First game ever for me was DOOM.
My favorite games from my childhood are Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Legend of Dragoon, and a couple others.
As for today, well anything really. I have pretty broad gaming tastes. But Timesplitters is easily my favoritist game of all time. OF ALL TIME!

As for the whole "what feels more natural" thing, well the only game I was truly immersed to the point I actually felt like the main character was the first Mass Effect, so yeah. Wouldn't say it felt more natural though, just more immersive. And even then it was less to do with what view I was using and more to do with that it was an amazing game.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
my first game was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, and Super Smash Bros.

The games that I enjoy now are still the classics, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 1 on the Sega Genesis or Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES. I prefer Sonic over Mario, but I like both.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
My first game I think was Super Mario allstars (it didn't have super mario world on it, it was the super mario bros allstars from before then) at least thats the one I remember vividly. However, I will play pretty much anything if I think it's got a good storyline.

Sep 14, 2009
first games?

ninja turtles for the nes, hard as fuck as a little kid. also duck hunk and mortal kombat

my most loved games?

star fox 64, pokemon yellow, captain america and the avengers, and of course ff7 will always haev a special place for me out there as a kid.

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010
The first game I have been documented playing was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. At my daycare I would play a SHMUP of the name I cannot remember. And I would also play a very abstract platformer I can't remember the name of.

Games that I really enjoyed when I was younger would be the Timesplitters games, Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time, Super Smash Bros. and more I played at my daycare among friends.

Now-a-days I'm playing games like the DonPachi series, ESP Da.Re, Mushihimesama, DeathSmiles, BlazBlue, the Touhou series, Ninja Gaiden 2, Lost Planet 2, and soon to be Marvel VS Capcom 3.

Of course there are many more games that I enjoy, but there's a few.

MrAkuma201

Oct 28, 2009
Well to start of with I played my first game at 6 Pokemon red. One year later I got a N64 and played the Zelda games,Super Smash Bros and others. Most of the time I played 3rd person and very little 1st person. I like and play both equally it comes down to if the game I play is good or you know I think is good.

First game: Pokemon red LOVED IT!

Most loved games of my childhood: The Legend of Zelda Majora's mask and Super Smash Bros

Games I play today: Lots of 3rd person and a good amount of 1st its more of what mood I'm in.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
My first games were some of the old Atari 2600's, but my first real game that I actually played that I kept around with me was Yoshi's Island on the SNES.

CactiComplex

Jan 22, 2011
My first game was one of the Super Mario Bros. ones, can't remember which (only a handful of years ago as well...). Then came DOOM, which I still play now.

Today I'll play anything that looks decent enough, although I prefer FPS (Painkiller, Half Life etc) and RPG games. Got a soft spot for old platform games, but I don't play them much.

Wrists

May 26, 2010
I started my gaming Odyssey with Tomb Raider 2, and to this day I find a lot of games easier to play in third person....never really though about that before.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well I started on JRPG's Pokemon. Final Fantasy. Golden Age. Fire Emblem.
and Now. I don't play JRPG's... At all!! (Except Pokemon)
Really should pick them up again....

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
I watched my dad play the first Tomb Raider games and thought it was really exciting. Then I proceeded onto more kid-friendly games like Pokémon, The Sims... I can't remember much of my earlier gaming days. But I remember my first "mastered" game was Rayman Raving Rabbids, that was the one game I kicked insane ass at.

Then I got into the shooters and eventually the RPGs, and well, that's pretty much where I've stayed! I play a wide range of games though, RPGs being my favorites.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
My gaming roots first found water and nutrients from Amiga.