Your Greatest Achievement of the Year

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
What's up Escapists, I hope you're having a terrific day. I come to you today with one very simple question:

What is the greatest achievement you have made this year?

Personally I just finished my university exams for the year. This means that I have now completed my undergraduate degree! I'll be graduating in March!

I had to take an additional unit this semester to finish my course and despite that, I think this may have been my best semester grades wise.

So I'm pretty damn happy and proud of myself at the moment. So I ask you; what have you done this year that you are proud of?

[sub]This thread was brought to you by a member of the Escapist United Nations of Pure Fun[/sub]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Congratulations, man! I've only got five years at the least left of college. Teaching High school history better be worth it.

Anyway, my achievement is rather sad. I've roughly watched 1300 episodes of anime since late May. Maybe I should put graduating high school, but... I would say anime is more important.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Elfgore said:
Congratulations, man! I've only got five years at the least left of college. Teaching High school history better be worth it.

Anyway, my achievement is rather sad. I've roughly watched 1300 episodes of anime since late May. Maybe I should put graduating high school, but... I would say anime is more important.
Thanks! I still have two years of uni left, got to get my Masters degree now.

Anime > high school is the correct belief in my opinion :p

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Ye
Drummodino said:
What's up Escapists, I hope your having a terrific day. I come to you today with one very simple question:

What is the greatest achievement you have made this year?

Personally I just finished my university exams for the year. This means that I have now completed my undergraduate degree! I'll be graduating in March!

I had to take an additional unit this semester to finish my course and despite that, I think this may have been my best semester grades wise.

So I'm pretty damn happy and proud of myself at the moment. So I ask you; what have you done this year that you are proud of?

[sub]This thread was brought to you by a member of the Escapist United Nations of Pure Fun[/sub]
Just graduated for the University of Chicago.
Also got admitted for a Master Degree in Monash.
So it's a pretty good year.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
Just graduated for the University of Chicago.
Also got admitted for a Master Degree in Monash.
So it's a pretty good year.
Monash in Melbourne? Congrats!

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
The year is not over yet so I'm still hoping I can get my Private Pilot license. For whats already happened this year maybe my first solo or even just getting into the flight training program I'm in.

Captcha: Jump higher. Heh, how relevant.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I'll probably put up some photos after the ceremony in March. It's not every day you get to wear a robe and one of those funny looking hats.

I don't really know enough about Dark Souls to fully appreciate that, but it certainly sounds impressive! Sounds a lot more epic than most dragon fights in games *cough* Skyrim *cough*

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Drummodino said:
Well I actually have a few. :D

- Got into my Professional Writing and Publishing Major.
- I have finished my first year of Uni.
- I have past the driving assessment, so I have almost got my license. (or onto my Ps at least)
- Made more friends. :D

So yeah, they may not look important, but to me they ARE important ... and that is what matters. ^_^

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Mine is quite simple. Finally getting full time work. I had been doing the same job part time for about 5 years and every time there was a chance for promotion I was always passed over. So I applied for jobs around the country and in February I got an interview in Northampton. Somehow I managed to impress the interviewers enough to get them to give me the job. So in April, I moved to Northampton to start my new job.

Yay me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'd say my greatest immaterial achievement is the growth I've gone through and how much I've matured. This isn't to say I've learned everything I can but rather that I can look back at the year proud knowing that I made progress in the lifelong journey of, for lack of a better word, enlightenment. To name just a few aspects, I'm much more motivated with the hobbies I pursue and self-aware of the time I can waste idling by. You can tell this 'greatest achievement' comes from a somewhat introspective teenager can't you? But on that note I feel like I'm feeling sorry for myself less too, even by a smidgen.

A great material achievement is the progress I've made with singing. I was pretty bummed out last year because I missed out getting into the school's top choir so I gave it my all this year and it was worth it. I suppose getting top grades consistently this year for most of my subjects, with one or two exceptions at that too u____u, is a great achievement too but I feel like I can do even better. Same goes for the clarinet, I've improved but I've realized I can be even better and go from good to outstanding.

At the end of next year I want to be able to say the same things I said here but with even better progress ^_^ (and actual achievements <.>). I can be satisfied with the person I am today, and I am, but I know I can be better so I will strive towards that.

As Will Rogers said, "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
winner's snip
That's pretty impressive, good on you dude n____n

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I lost my job last year and I got depressed for almost this entire year, I got so depressed to the point were I was waking up every single day with the thought of just killing myself, I thought "what's the fucking point?".

I gained a few pounds and I was a mess, until I suddendly thought "ENOUGH!", I got to the gym and I got a new job last month on my local Best Buy, it might not sound as impressive, but to me it is, especially because a few days ago, a client demanded me to see my supervisor to congratulate me for being "so efficient and well prepared". I've already made a few friends there, I'm starting to see my older friends more often and I lost the pounds I gained and lost some more.

So yeah, it's not impressive at all, but at the very least I can finally see a glimpse of light in my own future.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Getting into University this fall and remaining sane despite a major emotional detour I took in September.

2013 is ending quickly so I think I'm in the clear for surviving it.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
I lost my job last year and I got depressed for almost this entire year, I got so depressed to the point were I was waking up every single day with the thought of just killing myself, I thought "what's the fucking point?".

I gained a few pounds and I was a mess, until I suddendly thought "ENOUGH!", I got to the gym and I got a new job last month on my local Best Buy, it might not sound as impressive, but to me it is, especially because a few days ago, a client demanded me to see my supervisor to congratulate me for being "so efficient and well prepared". I've already made a few friends there, I'm starting to see my older friends more often and I lost the pounds I gained and lost some more.

So yeah, it's not impressive at all, but at the very least I can finally see a glimpse of light in my own future.
On the contrary, I find that very impressive. I've suffered from depression and I know how tough it can be to turn it around and think positively. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to shoot me a PM.

If you ever feel like killing yourself again, remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things will get better.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Probably that I climbed up Mt Fuji (like, to the peak). It wasn't actually as difficult as I imagined it might be which was good, but still rewarding. Especially the sunrise from the top X) Maybe just finally getting to go to Japan in general is the bigger achievement...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't know about achievement, but I moved away from home.
Sure it's been about 2 years since I've fully lived at home but they have all been at school dorms or the such so now while studying/working I moved away from home to a new city etc.

Achievement as in actually noteworthy... no idea really :p
Just going to school/working, training/working out and playing videogames (with the occassional intake of alcohol)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Gosh, nothing compared to this lot!

Probably finally seeing sense and getting out of a shitty, toxic relationship and finally being with someone who makes me happy.

I feel better physically and mentally, even though it's been difficult at times.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Got a job, finally. Wooed the love of my life.

On the flip side, drifted away from two of my closest friends, because they hated each other and i got caught in the middle.

So I'm not sure if it's a very good year or a very bad one.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
It's either gonna be getting into DTU (Danmarks Tekniske Universitet) or completing my tour of duty in the Royal Life Guards (the guys in the big furry hats that guard Her Majesty the Queen Margrethe II of Denmark).