Your Greatest Achievement of the Year

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I got a new, steady, OK-paying job over the one I already had. And a super sexy gaming girlfriend. Woot!
(I also got to meet and interview several filmmakers, including John Landis - definitely a high mark for someone who more or less made up his own career as a journalist/critic)

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Clicked on door 430 five times.

More seriously: I'm finally in shape for the first time in years. (Since I was extremely sick and bedridden for seven months, in fact.)

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Finally got my income to slightly over £500 after tax, 5 year goal is £1000 a week. Hard work does pay off eventually.
Also built my first pc and now can't wait to build more, total console to pc gamer conversion.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
[...]got to meet and interview several filmmakers, including John Landis[...]
Ooooh you lucky bas--you lucky so and so. Have you ever seen An American Werewolf in London? I finally watched it this week. Favorite scene: in the London Underground. It was so subtle. Wish more horror movies could be like that.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Finally beat my social phobia and have begun job hunting. Odds are way against me though since it's already hard as fuck getting a job in Stockholm and that I'm 24 years old without any experience. Planning to take a one year course to become a licensed construction worker(don't know the proper English name, but it's the guy who manages pipes, rails and roads) in May which will hopefully help a lot.

Also got my drivers license just the other day. Might not sound that impressive, but it's quite hard getting it here as opposed to, say, India or USA. It's almost like the examineers have to fill a certain quota of fails. Took six attempts spanned over six months and over a year of total driving.

Aaaaand I also begun working out almost daily three months ago. Gone from 10 kg dumbbells(which were always too light for me, to be fair) to 40 kg. Starting to look buff as fuck, but I got plenty of fat to lose after all these years of doing nothing.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I finally started to make my pharmacology audiobook and learned how to construct a diet. That's pretty awesome.

Also, came closer to getting laid than last year.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Some pretty fantastic achievements in here. Well done all.

I'm earning almost as much as my Dad now and have recently jumped on to the property ladder! Two biggest things for me this year. It's nice for my lady and I to have our own place that we can fix up how we want, monies permitting.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Well, I graduated from University this July, so I guess that's something. Oh, I also finally got my full driving licence after my seventh attempt at the practical test (yeah, I'm not the best driver around >.>)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
[...]got to meet and interview several filmmakers, including John Landis[...]
Ooooh you lucky bas--you lucky so and so. Have you ever seen An American Werewolf in London? I finally watched it this week. Favorite scene: in the London Underground. It was so subtle. Wish more horror movies could be like that.
I sure did! I don't know if I could've faced him without at least having seen Werewolf & Blues Brothers first.

This is a better pic (captured from the video I was shooting during the interview)

Landis is hailed as a Master of Horror despite, by his count, having made 2 horror films in his life. Which is a huge credit to American Werewolf, I think.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
Probably completing the first year of my degree. It was a fucking tough year, study wise and mentally (My head did some fucked up shit to me this year). Just 3 more years to go and i'll be out of the study game and hopefully in the labs, earning some bloody money (Something i've never really had a sufficient amount of).

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
My apologies, I totally forgot to congratulate you. Well done, man.

I suppose the second horror movie for Landis would be The Twilight Zone movie. Considering what happened on that set, if I had done the interview, I don't think I would have fared very well. The fact that he's smiling (and you look a bit nervous --ha), you did a great job.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
My apologies, I totally forgot to congratulate you. Well done, man.

I suppose the second horror movie for Landis would be The Twilight Zone movie. Considering what happened on that set, if I had done the interview, I don't think I would have fared very well. The fact that he's smiling (and you look a bit nervous --ha), you did a great job.
On top of interviewing him myself, I saw him give a live interview, I read about another recent interview, and I assisted a press conference. Twilight Zone was never even remotely name-dropped, let alone the death of Vic Morrow and the 2 child actors on set. Either most people didn't know about it or there was a tacit consent to avoiding the issue like taboo. Most of the attention went to the Thriller videoclip, John Belushi and Werewolf.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
wombat_of_war said:
i finally finished the witcher after 5 years. the middle is such a convoluted mess
Oh the Witcher, i've never had an experience like it. The first time i played it through, i thought it was a rubbish game with fantastic music. The second time i played it through (To make another save for TW2, which is one of the best games ever created), i thought it was a charming game with some heavy flaws.

The third time i played it through, i absolutely loved it. Everything from the once shitty combat to the once boring characters just clicked with me, and i absolutely loved the playthrough. Now i view it as a flawed gem.

I have no idea how this happened, but it did, and i now really, really like The Witcher.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
...Man, this really has not been my year.

I made the Dean's List at the end of last school year, but it's balanced out by me doing badly at school this year. ;__;

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Finished my Masters Degree (graduate next month). But the really sweet bit was being offered a PhD, pretty much out of the blue, before I'd even handed in my dissertation. So now I get paid, work in a lab doing some interesting stuff, and in a few years, I get a doctorate. I still have to do the occasional double take when I remember how I failed Uni a few years ago.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Probably putting on around 20kg of muscle and going from a little weakling to the 180lb subhulk I am now.

Also, learning how to brew beer.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
So yeah, it's not impressive at all, but at the very least I can finally see a glimpse of light in my own future.
Don't beat yourself up - breaking the hold of depression over yourself is a HUGE accomplishment. Like you, I know how deep the rabbit hole of depression goes. I recently went over some notes I wrote down over a year ago. They read like this:

"I have no chance of ever achieving a happy life.

If people knew how much of a loser I am, they would kill me.

I am worthless - I deserve to be eradicated."

From one former depressive individual to another: A big applause to you! =)

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
I haven't done much this year, mostly trying to get out of a depression. I'm not quite fit for getting back into life yet, but I've learned a lot about myself and my personal demons. I'm not out of it yet, but I've been leveling up my Wisdom score like a boss.

I actually feel good about being hit by a depression at this point in life, because it was bound to happen at some point with my issues and I'm glad I can work through it now before I have a job and children.

So WIS +4
Also I've been playing a lot of good games and got a great apartment in the capital city of my country.

And congrats to all of you other people who are successfully making saves against the Ongoing Psychic Damage of a depression!