Your Greatest Achievement of the Year

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I climbed a Munro a while back and feel a bit better for it. It's a shame to sit in the same place when you're in the middle of Munro country, so I'll try and get the decent weather kit together to go walking up a few more. You do tend to meet more interesting people up on the hills. Also got a pretty satisfying job with people I like and get along with.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Gamer87 said:
I haven't done much this year, mostly trying to get out of a depression. I'm not quite fit for getting back into life yet, but I've learned a lot about myself and my personal demons. I'm not out of it yet, but I've been leveling up my Wisdom score like a boss.

I actually feel good about being hit by a depression at this point in life, because it was bound to happen at some point with my issues and I'm glad I can work through it now before I have a job and children.

So WIS +4
Also I've been playing a lot of good games and got a great apartment in the capital city of my country.

And congrats to all of you other people who are successfully making saves against the Ongoing Psychic Damage of a depression!
Congrats to you too buddy. Welcome to the Escapist!

Let's kick depression in the butt!

Good job to everyone who's posted, it makes me happy to hear about all of these awesome accomplishments.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I was able to get a job as a programmer despite being 100% self taught which allowed my to get out of the financial hole I was in (I was not in debt, I just couldn't afford to improve my situation in any meaningful way) and return to school.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I'm making a start on learning Japanese. Again. I'd been able to speak it pretty well when I was younger, and I went on a very long vacation with my sister to Japan (I think it was for about a year). I can't remember why; I think she was working, and needed someone who could speak the language she described as "Not as wing-wong as Chinese, but not as samswehauaha as Korean". I promplty punched her in the face.

But yeah, I'm making a start on it. And I have no idea how I memorised ~2,000 letters that look nothing like each other made of other little letters which have no relation to each other but somehow make a word. I'm picking back up on ok though.

Oh, and self-discovery and conquering my own personal demons with the help of those who I love. But that probably doesn't matter.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I played through fianlly worked up the courage to play Dark Souls, and I beat it...6 or 7 times...
Seriously I refuse to shut up about Dark Souls, for a game I refused to play for over a year and called a hipsters version of Skyrim(long story) it sure is the best game I have ever played in my life.
I have also now completed 100 anime series, which is impressive in a really sad way. Of course if I spent all that time watching One Piece One Piece on normal length series I would have reached the 100 mark a long time ago.

Average anime = 12 episodes
One Piece = 450 episodes(when I got bored and stopped)
450/12= 37.5 series.
Granted I skipped of the filler. I watched One Piece over the summer holidays in my second to last year of highschool, so I had a LOT of free time to kill/

Yeah, if you can't tell I haven't had a very eventful year :p

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Recovered off of a Broken hip! Awwww yeah.

Don't break your hip, kids. It's a terrible idea.

Also, I might be job shadowing at the United Nations, so yeah, wish me luck.

Luminous Chroma

Mar 10, 2010
Finished my first marathon!

I've been running for more than ten years, but I only started competing in races three years ago. Did a 5K, then a 10K, then a half-marathon. At the end of the half, all I could think was, "Well that was PRETTY good...but I bet the full twenty-six miles feels FANTASTIC."

And you know what? It did. I wrapped it up in three hours, forty-eight minutes, which is apparently pretty good. The ol' knees hurt a bit, but it was nothing compared to the pride and satisfaction of crossing the finish line. Not to mention that, during the rather intense training a marathon requires, you can eat damn near anything you want without budging the scales.

Luminous Chroma

Mar 10, 2010
jackdeesface said:
I qualified as a Nurse and bagged a job in London. Moving to Kensington in a few weeks.
I initially misread this as you having bagged a nurse in London. Your accomplishment is more impressive, congrats!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Drummodino said:
SupahGamuh said:
I lost my job last year and I got depressed for almost this entire year, I got so depressed to the point were I was waking up every single day with the thought of just killing myself, I thought "what's the fucking point?".

I gained a few pounds and I was a mess, until I suddendly thought "ENOUGH!", I got to the gym and I got a new job last month on my local Best Buy, it might not sound as impressive, but to me it is, especially because a few days ago, a client demanded me to see my supervisor to congratulate me for being "so efficient and well prepared". I've already made a few friends there, I'm starting to see my older friends more often and I lost the pounds I gained and lost some more.

So yeah, it's not impressive at all, but at the very least I can finally see a glimpse of light in my own future.
On the contrary, I find that very impressive. I've suffered from depression and I know how tough it can be to turn it around and think positively. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to shoot me a PM.

If you ever feel like killing yourself again, remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things will get better.
Thank you very much, I never actually thought about it seriously, I was just toying with the idea, but just the thought of it just... I dunno, it's just... awful... But anyways, thanks for the kind words :)

Steambroom

Aug 8, 2009
Well, I passed my finals at school relatively good this year and lost nearly 70 pounds of weight.
Other than that not much, since I`m currently searching for job/meaning of life and whatnot.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
My GCSE results, which thought I did really badly in. Turns out, I got all A*s, except for 1 A and 1 B :)

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Graduating with a first. I was on the border between that and a 2:1 all the way through my degree so I put a huge amount of work into my dissertation and in the end that tipped me over the edge for that top grade, dead pleased. Also, in a close second, is finally managing to get a job since then. Only took me 3 months.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Managed to get a part time job and build a new PC in less than 6 months. I have to say that having a job that doesn't rely on the weather or political bullshit fucking with the economy is pretty nice. Also, steady income is pretty good too.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Well, I joined the army. That's something I guess. I get to learn how to operate the UAVs and other unmanned drones.

I also played a sick ass bass solo to help my brother with his band project in June.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I survived the IB Diploma Programme. The whole ordeal has changed me for the worse. I can no longer have fun without feeling that I could be doing something more important and my final score is too low for me to get into a good school (though luckily I perfromed well on the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test, so all hope is not lost). But dammit, I survived IB.

Oh, and I also made a video game. That's pretty cool I guess.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Moved out of my parents house, got my first real jobs, payed rent for the first time.
Ah, finally I'm able to do what I always wanted to do when I was a kid!
(Like, eat cereal for dinner, and buy all the toys I want.)

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
In just half a year I went from not understanding a word of Japanese to being able to read it, albeit with the help of dictionary software.