Your greatest gaming comebacks

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
One of my earlier matches of Dota 2.

The team wasn't doing so hot. We were outmatched in terms of fighting ability, and that allowed the enemy team to get the head-up in terms of kills and gold.

But with a shit ton of determination and bossing around my teammates to actaully push the lanes and get rid of them dern towers, I veered the team to victory. Even in outmatched odds, we pushed to the top!

Don't ask me how I did it.. It's still boggles my mind as to how we won the fight that day. Especially considering how high the enemy kill-count was. ._.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I was playing Xenogears, the halfway through I got bored of it and stopped.
Then, about 5 years later, I remembered that I was once playing it so I went back to it and finished it.

Oh, that's not what you were asking for?

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Dragon's Dogma: Fucking cockatrices.

On two separate occasions I have slain one after having lost my main Pawn and one of my hirelings to petrification.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
One I will never forget was in Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour, in a normal 1 vs 1 online match on a 1 vs 1 battle field. The other guy was Infantry China, and I was Super Weapon USA, but I didn't choose my side since I was always going random. You received a special random badge for doing so and I wanted to show everyone I had balls.

Straight into the game I was already worried because I didn't have a good strategy with SW USA against Infantry China, and just like I predicted he was easily able to speed past any defense I made straight to cash collecting choppers. Fuckin' zerg rushed me straight away without even knowing who I was. Even though he had the drop on me, I was still able to pump out one attack chopper to harass his infantry until they were all gone.

Unfortunately, I just didn't have enough money to stop another quick assault like that so I decided to do something I've never done before, just make another base. This was on a very small 1 vs 1 map mind you so I only had one other supply depot to go to. I left my first base standing instead of selling anything to make it look like I was just struggling to hold it up. While slowly collecting supply's, I managed to raise another air field and a strategy center in my new base, and then I stopped to decide if I should get an Ion Cannon (a super weapon that takes 8 minutes or so to charge), or an Aurora Bomber (a really fast plane that's fast enough to bypass defenses of any sort and drop a pretty strong bomb), they both cost 2500 funds you see.

I decided to go with the Bomber because when I glanced over the picture of the Aurora Bomber I noticed it had a slightly different picture. I didn't know what the hell was up with that so I picked it out of curiousity. WITH THAT ONE BOMBER I TOOK OUT EVERYTHING HE HAD! I had no idea it drop fuel bombs, it really made a big fucking difference. It literally drops the bomb which does the normal amount of damage, and then after one second it explodes in a huge radius that does the same amount of damage again. All of his units and defenses died in one shot from this and he kept on making the mistake of grouping all his units and buildings together.

I never went in insane with power like that in any other game. I Couldn't stop laughing. Really should've recorded it :-(

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
lol match about a year and a half ago. I was playing nasus we were loseing had only one tower left and I pentaed and stole baron at the same time the proceded to win the game cause speedy nasus was really op.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I can't remember specifics, but there were a couple of times in MK9 playing tag team where I managed to take down a full-health opponent (or close to it) from pretty much zero health.
It's the luckiest thing in the world.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Picture this,in a four-man team,defending an objective from hordes of enemies bent on it's destruction.

-A tank,capable of making himself indestructible to a certain (obscene) amount of damage,cause a massive radial stun,charge into the fray,and cause a radial shockwave of hurt.

-A defender capable of making a one-way shield dome that slows all enemies within,immobilizing and dealing huge amounts of damage to nearby enemies,simply immobilize foes,or deal silly damage in a straight line,dead ahead.

-A speedy,if fragile nuker,capable of flinging concentrated damage with a nasty terrain aftereffect,personal protection with a side order of aura of pain,a radial blast of damage with a big terrain damage over time,and becoming the eye of a storm of raw damage.

-A speedy,utterly fragile trickster,capable of making decoys,turning invisible,switching places with a target,friend,foe,or decoy,and to permanently take away the enemy's ranged weapons and special abilities.

If this sounds familiar,than congrats! You play Warframe! I'm the guy who can't deal damage with his abilities,the fourth one. Loki. Dedicated to controlling the battlefield,and very vulnerable on his own. So,we're doing a Defense Mission,protecting a cryopod on the dam level,in the Europa system. We're doing fine,farming up some Rubedo for Dojo construction. I'm doing my thing,disarming enemies while the Rhino (number one) and Frost (number two) kept the cryopod safe,and the Ember (number three) ran around doing their own thing,doing a good job at killing enemies near their spawns.

And then the host migrates. This is bad,because the Frost was the host. The Frost is the reason we succeed in farming this mission. When everything loads up again,it's worse than I thought.

I'm alone.

Squishy,impotent Loki. My primary weapon is the Grakata,you see. A weapon with a silly huge magazine,and an even sillier huge rate of fire...With absolutely garbage damage output and armour penetration and a fairly decent crit chance,for an automatic. Overall,it's a poor weapon. My secondary weapon is one I rely on,a Bolto. The Bolto ignores the armour of whatever it hits,and hits fairly well,but it's projectiles travel,meaning it's a short range weapon on mobile targets.

And this was wave 20. Meaning,we were pretty deep in. And the enemies,already fairly powerful,were only nastier at that wave.

I fully expected myself to die quickly. I didn't. Luck? Skill? A healthy helping of one,and just enough of the other. I somehow managed to disarm huge amounts of enemies at once,and pick them off with my Bolto,which has a cryo mod on it,which slowed them down.

Still,the cryopod was at 1% health when I took my reward and left.

What did I get for my trouble?

A Shocking Touch mod. Something that gives my melee weapon a little bit of electrical damage on top of what it already does. Big whoop. Didn't even get any of the Rubedo we went there for. But at least I lived.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
Back when Halo 3 was a game that marked the end of a great trilogy that somehow unexpectedly expanded into Call of Duty: Neverending Forerunner Edition, I was playing 16v16 on Sandtrap. We were down by about 50 points, and the other team only needed one more kill to win the game. My entire team decided to drop out all at once, leaving only me to face the vastly-superior horde.

I never quit. Maybe it's how I was raised, maybe it's just an inborn need push through any challenge despite the odds, but I NEVER back down (I never once, in hundreds upon hundreds of matches, EVER surrendered in LoL)!

Armed with only my wits and my guns, I subsequently engaged the secret Rambo mode programmed into every multiplayer server in existence - the code for it can be found in your blood, and etched on your soul. Bunkering down in anyplace defensible yet anti-siege, I collected the shotgun and sniper rifle and picked off any enemy combatants in my scope. Anytime they tried to surround me, there was one escape they overlooked... Anytime they infiltrated my current, disposable base, my shotgun would greet them at the funnel point I shepherded them through.

Rockets, tanks, warthogs... none of them could stop me! They rode the elephant: I sniped the driver. They brought out the Banshee: I hijacked it. I annihilated all in my path; outwitted any plans designing my doom! They hurled slurs at me, screaming for me to just quit! They used psychological warfare. "You can't beat us all! Your team abandoned you! You should just quit and save yourself the trouble!" I didn't mute their mics, just to hear the taunts and the demands for my surrender... and make them eat their words, one by one, over and over again.

The score was rising, and so was my adrenaline. My armor, cracked and scarred, twisted and burnt, scored by plasma and dented by bullets, was glowing like the sun! Its overuse only made it look that much more glorious! For when they saw the red of a disbanded team with one member still kicking, they knew a bullet to the head would soon follow. It was the time of my life! The kind of fulfillment, achievement, and satisfaction most people spend their whole lives trying to create. I alone brought Red Team's score from 50 to 95!

And then... a red dot. It traced me, flashing just past my vision as I picked off another of their team. My focus was waning. I had been in one particular bunker too long, and the adrenaline was wearing thin, pushed to the limit! I was careless!

"No!" I screamed in futility. It was too late... vengeance would serve Blue Team that day. I made one desperate mad dash for the exit, but it was not to be. My fate was sealed. I heard the familiar sound of the Spartan Laser blast and my ragdolling body hit the floor. The match was over. I failed... but I had the honor of being the one man who conquered an army, and refused to back down.

Oh? Did you think this was a story about MY gaming comeback? No, this was BLUE TEAM'S comeback story from almost CERTAIN, humiliating defeat! :D

By the way, this story is entirely true. That was a great day!

Captcha: duvet day. Er... not quite.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I have two memorable comebacks and both were in sports games.

My best mate and I decided to try playing AFL Live online and seeing as it was our first game online we were worried we were going to suck and at the start we kind of did but we slowly got better and then with about a minute thirty left on the clock in the last quarter we needed 2 goals to win. We managed to get one quick goal and amazingly we got the next one with less then 10 seconds left and needless to say we went mental lol we were pretty proud of ourselves.

The second involves the same mate and we were playing Top Spin 4 online. It was a 3 set game and we were smashed in the first set 6-2 or something because one of the other guys had a created player and was pretty good with him. About halfway through the second set we realised that the person he was playing with was kind of average so prtty much every shot we made was aimed at him. Their good player probably only saw about 10% of the shots from then on and we won in quite comfortably in the end.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i was playing LoL. it was the twisted treeline map because fuck summoner. we were fighting them head on having the edge. going on and killing them. then their GP got started. killing us all left and right. their fiora was everywhere. we escaped one to be killed by the other. they had killed two of my teammates and had gotten to the last turret. between them and victory stood only one jax. (and a turret and a nexus) they came in with kassadin charging forward and ultimates dropping one me. i started fighting focused gang plank. then my lag began. for 1 minute i had no animations. i didn't understand what was happening but i pushed every skill i did everything i could do. what i did see was that i dodged fiora's ultimate and many of gangplank's parrrrleys. when the lag was over i saw my jax dead at the base of the turret with his three enemies near him. all dead. my teammates (a Darius and a swain) re-spawned and pushed forward. destroying both inhibitors and crushing their nexus. that day was a glorius day.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Playing a comp TF2 match, and I was roaming soldier (which means I jump around and do divebombs against the important classes, and generally watch flanks) and we were about to lose our last point, so I did the best rocketjump I've ever been able to do, and took out 4/6 members of their (already weakened due to teammates defence) attack and melee the last soldier to death with a shovel. The mumble comms went MAD

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Spanishax said:
Back when Halo 3 was a game that marked the end of a great trilogy that somehow unexpectedly expanded into Call of Duty: Neverending Forerunner Edition, I was playing 16v16 on Sandtrap. We were down by about 50 points, and the other team only needed one more kill to win the game. My entire team decided to drop out all at once, leaving only me to face the vastly-superior horde.

I never quit. Maybe it's how I was raised, maybe it's just an inborn need push through any challenge despite the odds, but I NEVER back down (I never once, in hundreds upon hundreds of matches, EVER surrendered in LoL)!

Armed with only my wits and my guns, I subsequently engaged the secret Rambo mode programmed into every multiplayer server in existence - the code for it can be found in your blood, and etched on your soul. Bunkering down in anyplace defensible yet anti-siege, I collected the shotgun and sniper rifle and picked off any enemy combatants in my scope. Anytime they tried to surround me, there was one escape they overlooked... Anytime they infiltrated my current, disposable base, my shotgun would greet them at the funnel point I shepherded them through.

Rockets, tanks, warthogs... none of them could stop me! They rode the elephant: I sniped the driver. They brought out the Banshee: I hijacked it. I annihilated all in my path; outwitted any plans designing my doom! They hurled slurs at me, screaming for me to just quit! They used psychological warfare. "You can't beat us all! Your team abandoned you! You should just quit and save yourself the trouble!" I didn't mute their mics, just to hear the taunts and the demands for my surrender... and make them eat their words, one by one, over and over again.

The score was rising, and so was my adrenaline. My armor, cracked and scarred, twisted and burnt, scored by plasma and dented by bullets, was glowing like the sun! Its overuse only made it look that much more glorious! For when they saw the red of a disbanded team with one member still kicking, they knew a bullet to the head would soon follow. It was the time of my life! The kind of fulfillment, achievement, and satisfaction most people spend their whole lives trying to create. I alone brought Red Team's score from 50 to 95!

And then... a red dot. It traced me, flashing just past my vision as I picked off another of their team. My focus was waning. I had been in one particular bunker too long, and the adrenaline was wearing thin, pushed to the limit! I was careless!

"No!" I screamed in futility. It was too late... vengeance would serve Blue Team that day. I made one desperate mad dash for the exit, but it was not to be. My fate was sealed. I heard the familiar sound of the Spartan Laser blast and my ragdolling body hit the floor. The match was over. I failed... but I had the honor of being the one man who conquered an army, and refused to back down.

Oh? Did you think this was a story about MY gaming comeback? No, this was BLUE TEAM'S comeback story from almost CERTAIN, humiliating defeat! :D

By the way, this story is entirely true. That was a great day!

Captcha: duvet day. Er... not quite.
Haha that was inspiring =). Awesome.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
One of my early Company of Heroes-games as Wehrmacht. I had lost almost the entire map, my opponent had a massive force of Paratroopers and Riflemen supported by AT guns, I was far down of Victory Points, and was trying to build up for one last fight by getting two Ostwinds and a King Tiger.

Five minutes after my tanks had hit the field, I had taken back all three victory point sites and 80% of the map, had killed off at least two squads and two AT guns(losing even a single squad in CoH is a VERY big deal), and held a dominating position from which my opponent just said "gg, nice comeback" and left. One single engagement where he mismicroed and focused too much firepower on the King Tiger was all it took for that to work out. My ostwinds wiped the field while the KT just soaked up damage, and he had no real way of challenging me after that.

Generally though, I don't go for comebacks. You get a lot more consistent results by trying to dictate the pace of the game yourself, rather than taking a few guesses and hoping you opponent reads you wrong/screws up, the latter happens pretty rarely when your opponents get good.

Lncredible

Mar 23, 2009
It was your average game of counterstrike 1.6 (years ago), on CS_militia (a classic!). I was on the terrorist team. The pistol round started with an unusually aggressive move by my teammates, as they stormed the front, stormed the front, stormed the front. I bought my deagle, and hopped onto the roof. Within 10 seconds the gunfire started thick and fast, and within the next 10, I was the sole survivor.

I fled the roof, for fear of being easily flanked, but also for making the situation even worse by letting them take the hostages.

The next 5 minutes were a mixture of great skillshots, and much luck. My heart was thumping in my chest. The deagle headshots were legendary, the scoreline poetry; 8 - 0, terrorists win. I can't remember which gun I finished with, but I certainly had to throw my gun multiple times to get some more ammo from the dead!

Never felt like such a hero!

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I had a game of Last Of Us:Supply Run the other day when I somehow was the last man standing on my team and managed to deal with the opposing team and their 6 respawns :) Usually I just get horribly mown down when that happens but they stopped coordinating at that point and were just charging around the map trying to get me. Made it easy to lay traps and surprise them.

Smoke Bomb shiv and upgraded melee rampage also helped. Was surprised I got away with that.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
generals3 said:
It's been a long time since I've heard of Empires Dawn of the Modern World. Fantastic game and really cool scenario editor. I loved creating missions. I wonder if it works on windows 7.

OT: It has to be from Company of Heroes. I was playing on blitzkrieg with a 2v2 versus 2 hard comps and a hard comp as my ally. I was playing as the Panzer Elite, my ally was Wehrmacht and the enemies were USA. So after about 15- 20 minutes, the two sides controlled about half the map and nothing big was happening. We were moving to T4 and starting to call in the heavy tanks. Soon, I see 3 76 Shermans head over to my ally's base, I go in to help out with my stug and a Panther figuring it would be no big deal. On the way there, my Panther was ambushed by 4 76 Shermans and 3 Hellcats. They proceeded to my base which was undefended because I was covering the bridges (I still don't know how they got over). I was just unprepared to take out so many tanks at once. I had anti-tank infantry, but they were constantly pinned and unable to get a shot to hit a tank. My base fell in no time at all.

Still in shock, I called in pioneers to repair and get back in action (blitzkrieg adds the ability to keep fighting after you've been defeated.) My allies base soon came under HEAVY fire from over 10 76 Shermans, several Hellcats and some Stuarts. I manage to get a small base back up and running, but they sent a small force to take me out which I had no defense for. I lost my base again. The only thing keeping my ally alive was my stug, which had taken out 12 tanks but was dug in and camo'd. The comps proceed to base rush my ally and kill my stug and my ally. I took the time to build a 88mm AT gun in front of my base to protect it while I got my base up and running. The Shermans kept coming and coming. I had one hit left on my HQ as a ranger squad rushed up to use their bazooka...before the tank they were hiding behind exploded killing them.

The 88 had to have killed over 100 Shermans. I managed to slowly get back to the bridges and fortify them, before rushing towards their base. After two hours of playing, I finally won. And never wanted to play COH again...and then played it like 3 days later. :p

I have another from Eastern Front, but I'll keep it short. It was a VP match. The score started at 1000 each. We were winning 950 - 150 after 20 - 30 mins. Then the score was 100 - 150, then the score was 100 - 75, then the score was 67 -75, then 67 - 50, then 50 - 50 before we finally won 50 - 0. Yeah.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think it was mid-2012 on Gears of War 3, the map: Gridlock, on a game mode called Capture the Leader where you need to keep a hold of the enemy team's leader for so many seconds to win.

My team had a crap leader and one by one we died trying to get their leader (luckily there are respawns), and I thought I'd be joining them when I fired a Sawed Off Shotgun desperately to get a kill. Luckily I got a collateral on both the shotgun wielding enemy and the enemy leader. I quickly tagged a wall with a frag grenade and slowly inched my way towards the middle of the map. I got shot by a sniper but luckily it didn't mortally wound me, and I heard the "beep beep beep" go off just in time to blow the Sniper up as the 30 second timer ran out and I won us the round.

Of course Epic Games had to remove Capture the Leader and put it in the DLC playlists :(

But I do have said DLC.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Played TF2 as a Heavy a few years ago. All of sudden my entire team was down and everyone on the other side were still alive. Took them down one by one and won the match. Got so my much praise from my team mates. :D