your hipster thing

Sep 3, 2011
or the thing you have or do but no one apart from you does

i was thinking about this while playing dead space 2 online and as i riped the arm from a man and ate his face i was thinking about what my freinds played halo,gears of war and CoD all well known games that alot of people play but i play dead space 2

so my brother and sisters in gameing whats your hipter thing?

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I like my fair share of music and films that could be considered obscure, I also enjoy skinny jeans, wear a Trilby from time to time and you could probably replace my bloodstream with coffee and I wouldn't notice.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Being the only one among my group of friends who hasn't bought Skyrim or payed any attention to the Elder Scrolls Series.

Also if this counts as being hipster? I am proud of the fact that I don't have a Facebook account and I will never make one.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
DJ headphones, even though I clearly don't need them...
Pretentious taste in anime (apparently)...
Monochromatic wardrobe (a splash of purple)...

*shrug*

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
I listen to some glitch, dubstep and house music, and I will NOT hesitate to correct anyone who calls it techno. Other then that, my hair is completely dyed blue ^_^

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
Listening to chillwave music, and playing indie games. Other than that, my hipster power level is pretty weak.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
I'm the only one in my circle of friends that knows that The Clash at Demonhead isn't just a Scott Pilgrim reference.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I listen to a lot of music that some of my friends haven't heard of. I don't listen to anything crazy abstract, just stuff like Every Time I Die, Gallows, Cancer Bats, Trash Talk and so on but people have called me a hipster for this and it's a fucking insult.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I listen to tons of obscure music (like it's a hobby of mine to find obscure and odd stuff), read (philosophical)books by russain authors, buy vinyl, smoke weed,play bass but write moppy acoustic guitar songs, and generally wear odd items of clothing or what ever the fuck i want(and usually only locally made stuffs), drink coffee, make ironic jokes (and the go "im such a hipster" just to be ironic"),only play analog synths(i would if i had the money),don't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks and hangs around with a bunch of like mind fellows.
I guess these are all hipstery things, but i wouldn't call my self a hipster, i don't even think it's a counter-culture/culture and it's just people trying to label a non-group.

BiggDoggJake

Nov 4, 2010
I still wear black t-shirts, ripped blue jeans, and black boots.

And I have a ponytail with thick-framed glasses.

And I'm not a dick when people haven't heard of the music I listen to.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
I'm not a hipster. Whatever I could be associated with by societal norms is purely unintentional.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
No social networking, only listen to music from the '60's, '70's, and '80's, wear berets or trilbys, also wearing the ocassional denim jacket, reading only classic literature, and being the only gamer in my entire local gamer circle who plays more than just the latest CoDs and Battlefields.

And I'm not trying to be a hipster. It just happened to end up like that.

NEREVAR117

Aug 1, 2011
My entire character is very detached from the general social standards. I did think I have any 'hipster' qualities though as I act like I do for legitimate reasons. Still, if I was to grasp, I guess it would be my disdain for drugs and alcohol. I really, really, really just don't care, and I hate the little subculture behind it.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
I do not use the Twitters, I barely use the Faces-Books, I have an MP3 player that is not an iPod, and I still buy DVDs.

And it's not really a thing that only I do, but I'm the only person in my life at the moment who plays Magic: The Gathering.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I don't like dubstep. I listen to some trance.

I don't like Halo, Gears of War, or really anything to do with consoles except for my fond memories of Final Fantasy VIII and Crash Team Racing on the PS1. (Not that I'm an elitist about it or anything.)

My taste in music isn't really all that defined by genre. But for the most part, it's metal. And I cringe inside every single time a customer walks into the shop and, upon hearing Killswitch Engage, The Unguided, Souldrainer or Empyrean on the stereo, asks me if I'm into Pantera, Metallica, Disturbed, Slipknot, etc. To date, I've only had one customer mention a band other than them, and it was Epica (he said Enhance My Nightmare by Sonic Syndicate reminded him of them). He's all good.

Yes, I know I'm starting to sound like an elitist at this point. I don't really care. I'm rather proud of the fact that I'm one of the few people in this town who can honestly say he listens to metal and not mean Slipknot, Disturbed, etc.

Also, I don't like the Elder Scrolls series. I only ever played a bit of Morrowind but that was rather... not fun for me. I am flat-out disinterested in Oblivion and Skyrim as well. I've watched more than enough game-play videos to know that I don't want to play them.

I also don't play Minecraft and I have no intention of starting. I much prefer Garry's Mod when it comes to time-wasting (not that time-wasting is a bad thing).

My MP3 player is a mere 128MB device and it clearly isn't an iPod. But I'm not the sort of person who has their headphones on all the time anyway. Using it is an occasional thing for me, so it is adequate for my needs.

I own no Apple products whatsoever.

I buy DVDs on occasion.

I buy physical copies of and download my games.

I don't use Twitter.

I don't ever intend to try drugs, and I very, VERY occasionally ever drink. I'm proud of the fact that unlike so many people in this town who are my age or over, I don't get drunk and/or go to parties. You know, typical parties where people drink a lot and yell at each other because of the loud music. I tried getting drunk once when I was younger just so I could know what it was like. Never again.

I don't smoke and I never will. I tried it a few times when I was younger but that was it. I hate smoking a lot. Seriously. I will never even date anyone who smokes.

Also, despite being a New Zealander, I disdain New Zealand music. I've yet to hear any NZ music that I like. I'm told I should support NZ music but I only support music I like, regardless of what country it comes from. I'm no nationalist.

6_Qubed said:
And it's not really a thing that only I do, but I'm the only person in my life at the moment who plays Magic: The Gathering.
If I could, I would still play. I still have my cards underneath my bed. Go go Orzhov!