Your Home Network: Testing

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
How do you test your home network?

When using either Speedtest.net or Windows 10 Network Speed Test, I typically need to do so at least twice. The 1st time I'll have a super slow speed. A 2nd and 3rd etc. tests are much faster. I don't know why that 1st test, per computer, is so slow.

A 2nd issue that comes up is that a site will fail, particularly streaming sites. Last night, Hulu was failing. It appears to be working now. On a 4K streaming TV, it just kept failing. I would have thought it would step down to as little as 360i if necessary but it just failed on that TV. I went to another and it did come in... at about 360i rather than even 720p.

I wonder if there is a way to know if it was the channel or my provider throttling that particular site for some reason.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I've never done any network monitoring myself as I've never had network hiccups (outside of the actual line being down or modem taking a shit). GlassWire is a sponsor of Linus Tech Tips channel on Youtube and I don't think they have any crap sponsors. The program is free with good reviews so there's really nothing to lose.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've never done any network monitoring myself as I've never had network hiccups (outside of the actual line being down or modem taking a shit). GlassWire is a sponsor of Linus Tech Tips channel on Youtube and I don't think they have any crap sponsors. The program is free with good reviews so there's really nothing to lose.

Thanks for the tip, reviewing!

EDIT: Downloaded the phone app from the Playstore as well.

2nd Edit: Very intrusive. Knows if I have the hiccups but very informative. Knows when I have apps open, even if not in active use, they are very chatty.
1635340981770.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenixmgs