Your home town's claim to fame

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
The longest pleasure pier in the world.
Really. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southend_Pier]
There used to be a bowling alley on it, but it burnt down.
Oh and there is also a WW2 boat full of explosives just off the coast.

Notable in its career was the accidental sinking of the Liberty ship SS Richard Montgomery which, still containing several thousand tons of explosives, is visible from the North Kent coast and Southend beach at low tide, and continues to pose a threat to navigation over 60 years later.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Providence, RI, USA. Home of Brown, RISD, and the best Italian food in the U.S. outside of New York City.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I'm from Brighton, East Sussex which is famous for... well, I'm sure everyone in the UK knows what Brighton is famous for.

I've lived most of my life in Eastleigh, Hampshire though which is a railway town, due to its location (it's on the railway junction between the important ports Southampton and Portsmouth as well as London) it was very important in the World Wars.

On a more modern note, I went to the same school and Colin Firth. So that's something.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
If you've eaten chicken in the US. then you've most likely eaten it from my city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainesville,_Georgia

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Spokane, WA:
Founded Father's Day
World's Fair: Expo '74
Setting of film: Benny and Joon
Arena Football Team: Spokane Shock
2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championship
Bloomsday Run/Festival
Otto Zehm Police Fiasco
Gonzaga University Basketball Team

Jandipoo

Mar 6, 2010
Remember that "Exploding Whale" video?

You know, This one? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_t44siFyb4]

Yeah, that happened less then a mile from where I sit.

Coolpilot

Shadow
Mar 1, 2011
My home town, Lynden, was established by Phoebe Judson, who was a well known and well connected pioneer. She was pivotal to the development of the Nooksack Valley, and kept a diary that she later abridged and rewrote into a book describing her time traveling to the west, settling in Washington, dealing with the local turmoil of the time, and eventually establishing Lynden.

Lynden is also one of the few cities in the world who's main entrance is between two cemeteries, and at one time, Lynden held the world record for most churches per square mile and per capita. Lynden is also home to Lynden Incorporated, which owns and runs several massive cargo companies that service the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and Russia. Whatcom County, especially the areas around Lynden, leads the country in raspberry and blueberry production with 65% of the nations crop here. We also have the largest per capita crop of red raspberries in the world. The Darigold plant is Lynden is the 4th largest producer of powdered milk in the nation. The Lynden Safeway has the largest milk case of any Safeway anywhere, thanks to the amount of shieks (I probably spelled that horribly wrong) that come down from BC to buy their milk here. How much milk do they buy, you ask? Well, last night the Safeway had one line of 2% left (about 10 gallons left)... out of 5 CASES of milk (which holds HUNDREDS of gallons). Lastly, the Lynden KOA is one of the most recognized KOAs in the nation, receiving numerous awards from KOA and other sources, being recognized for its quality and excellence of the staff and grounds.

We also broke the World Record for the largest hay-ride at this years fair. ^^

scoopz

Sep 15, 2011
Well... nothing really.

Miss Maryland (Marina Harrison) of 2003 and 2005 lives in my neighborhood.

It's a rather boring place.

Edit: Baltimore and Annapolis are about 20min away and D.C. is about an hour away. The beginnings of the Severn River run through my town which I'm assuming is how it got it's name.

P.S. My town/city is Severn, MD

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
http://thejetpacker.com/the-kinkiest-city-in-america-is-roselawn-indiana-wait-what/

Roselawn, Indiana. Yup, that's right, kinkiest city in America. Whoop de doo.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Southington, CT?Microcosm of America

It was a book compiled by the United States during World War II, by taking pictures of people at work and at play in my hometown. Copies of this book were dropped by military planes over Nazi occupied Europe as a sort of propaganda about how nice life is in the United States.

Daeric

Oct 27, 2011
Were home to the Timothy Taylors Brewery, something that I'm only about 20 minutes walk away from!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Taylor_Brewery

MetalBuddhist

Aug 24, 2010
Yeovil, Somerset, England - Home of Shadow, a Ninja Superhero who fights crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZbNAdOy7g

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Most pubs per square mile in England (I believe anyway!)
Birth place of Wilfred Owen - famous war poet.
Home of the second oldest school in England (over 600 years old).

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
We make the best fish eggs here in Kalix, and surrendered finland to the russians in 1809

Various footage from around here:

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Eidson, Tennessee, U.S. ummmm..... we have three post offices(only one is open the other two are just the old buildings), alot of cows, a river with some endangered mussels in it..... way too many rednecks & yeah not a damn thing famous here....

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Heimir said:
White_Lama said:
Heimir said:
Västerås. Over a thousand years old. One of my country's oldest, if not THE oldest.
I believe Sigtuna is older than that.
Checked it up. Yep, but not by much and Sigtuna is known for fuck all anyways :p
No, not really, but does anyone on here except the vikings know any cities in Sweden?

Rätt ska vara rätt! :D

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Winchester, England.
It's the historical capitol of England (during the reign of Alfred the Great), and Jane Austen lived here for 9 months or so before she died.
Erm, Saint Swithun is buried here? I guess that's mostly it.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Plymouth, Devon.

Famous, I guess, for Pilgrims Fathers, Plymouth Gin, Sir Francis Drake, Drakes Island, Sir John Hawkins, Navy heritage, and Dartmoor.

Plymouth gin is still brewed in it's original place (due to laws from hundreds of years ago) in the same distillery. So, when you drink Plymouth Gin, it is actually from Plymouth. Local indeed.