Your home town's claim to fame

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
the first and only thing to come to my head would be a death metal band called psycroptic, for a death metal band they're actually pretty well known. them and martin bryant... *shudder*

Qulan Gal

Oct 24, 2011
Brøndby, outskirts of Copenhagen, Denmark.

We got what used to be the biggest soccer team in Denmark. This year? Nope, not even close.

Aaand then we also got famous soccer players like Michael Laudrup and his brother Brian Laudrup.

EDIT: Loads of hooligans too

davros3000

Jun 8, 2010
my home town is cardiff. Its claims to fame include;

1) Is the capital city of a country with a dragon on its flag, a country who's oldest text predates the creation of english by about 1500 years.
2) Is home to the most intense sports stadium ever. Unlike the bowl style of most places its enclosed 70K+ stadium that has a roof, and is shaped like a cauldron (with all tiers stacked on top of each other). The roof keeps the noise in. Its just amazing.
3) Just a great place to go on the lash.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I'm from Washington, MA. James Taylor and Arlo Guthrie live here. Although Mr. Taylor still says he lives in Lenox, his property is in Washington.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
The_Splatterer said:
Am i the only one who went through this entire thread to see if anyone on here lived where i live?
You're not the only one. I've seen no-one from my hometown, but I think I've seen 3 from Norway.

OT: My hometown is famous for Sildajazzen, The Norwegian International film festival and The Amanda award.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Comber Northern Ireland

Thomas Andrews, the guy who designed the Titanic was from here.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
Epsom, Surrey. Home of the Derby, whey! Best day of the year in my town. A chance to get close and personal with the unsavoury types who come to bet on the horses and get really pissed up on the Downs. Happy days...

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Mule Capital of the World

Though oddly, there is another town that makes the same claim. We need to have a Mule Off.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Our town is known for it's pot. Yup Google my town's name, nothing but a bunch of marijuana related stories.

Juho-matti Kallio

Dec 5, 2011
Only international claim (term used lightly) is that ice-hockey player Jarkko Immonen (Formerly NY Rangers now Kazan in KHL) was born and lived there. Considering the population of 2000 people that's something I guess.

Alfred Chicken

Mar 19, 2009
I live in St Neots UK which is just outside Cambridge. My town's sole unique claim to fame is that the man who shot the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated was born here.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Coventry, UK. Lady Godiva rode naked through town in defiance of her evil husband. Turns out it probably never happened but it is quite a famous story. Also, we were hit pretty hard in the Coventry Blitz during WWII due to the large volume of factories we had. We're also know for the phrase "sent to Coventry" which from what I understand - and cannot be bothered to research - was something to do with immigrants being sent here and were poorly treated by the locals.

Last, but by no means least, we have the largest quantity of prostitutes in the world, all currently converging in the carpark outside the back of my house every single night - huzzah! Okay, we don't have the largest quantity of prostitutes in the world - I made that bit up, but there are a large number of prostitutes using the carpark out the back of my house and dammit the Super Soakers only deter them for a little while.

Thrillho

Oct 13, 2010
Penicuik (Near Edinburgh) was the home of Burke from the well-loved comedy duo known as Burke & Hare.

Did I say well-loved comedy duo? I meant notorious grave-robbers.