Your in-game phobias

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
I think the title explains the discussion value for this thread well enough.

So Escapist, what are your in-game phobias and do them stem from your real life phobias? I know that the most popular one i've heard of is Arachnophobia.

But as for me, it's water. Any water that's deep enough that my character has to swim. Especially if it's dark and you can't see whats around you very well, I never know what could come out at me....or from behind me *shiver*. This probably comes from me disliking any deep water that i can't see my feet in, even if it's just a swimming pool at night, if i'm by myself and can't see my feet i'll be creeped out.

And just for some added discussion, what games has your phobia been relevant to?

For me, off the top of my head, Ape Escape on the PS1 had this level where you had to sit on this little raft and there was this giant ass fish that was swimming around and it terrified me. And it took me forever to convince myself to go swimming in Monster hunter tri.

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
Amnesia and Resident Evil 4 are NOT for you my friend :p
For me it has to be instant kills, I get extremely paranoid about them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...this is embarrassing...for some reason when I play games I come down with a bad case of aqua phobia. I never finished Majora's Mask because when I looked in the strategy guide and saw that there were giant sea serpents ahead....I bailed. Same problem with wind waker, but I actually finished that one, but I muted it whenever I went out to sea, mainly because if an enemy showed up out there, THIS played.

<youtube=SZ7yeljSaJk&feature=related>

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
Easily getting chased in first-person games, especially by something that spells instant death and cannot be defeated. Now I use it to get immersed because a lot of games have these segments, though few are actually death for you should you take a wrong turn.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Insta-kills with unique animations that I can't avoid for some reason.

Not the dead space kind that terrify me in a good way but the kind in Skyrim where I am at full health then I get blind sides by a dude with a two handed weapon. These people hit me once, then all of a sudden I am forced to watch my character die because I didn't hit my health potions or fus ro dah

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Glitching through clipping, I swear I feel as if I'm going to fall into nothingness IRL.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Easily water, the entire great bay section of Majora's Mask terrifies me to this day.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Spiders for me.

Only certain spiders though. I play Minecraft and LOTRO and those don't bother me - well, except for clearing out multiple cave spider spawners in an abandoned mineshaft - but that's dread based more on the fact the poisonous little bastards have effortlessly become my most common cause of death in Minecraft.

Well animated and fast spiders are what gets to me though. Fallen Earth spiders are horrible, but Tomb Raider 2 remains my worst spider experience, with one level that was pitch black and had the damn things dropping down onto Lara with no warning at all. I used up all of my M16 ammo just blazing away like a maniac at anything that even looked like it was moving.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
It's not a phobia like fear of spiders or heights but if there is a save point I simply must save at it or I get worried about every fight and potential black outs until the next one.

Even with let's play videos if the person misses a save point even it you just restart from a check point I always think "What are you doing? There was a save point just there!"

At least this little trait was rewarded in the Ico Hd remake with a trophy for saving at every save point :).

A Marcotte

Dec 31, 2011
Heights. Skyrim is amazing in several ways, but some of the mountaintop views make my stomach lurch up into my throat and my derriere clenches up with vicegrip strength to keep me from crapping myself. All I can think of is how absolutely horrifying falling to my own death would be, or worse, falling to my almost-death, and being unable to walk to safety and freezing to death.

Just Cause 2 was another game that thrilled me with the terror of heights, though infinite parachutes seem to dull that issue after a while, and even became fun trying to drive stuff off the blimp-top, shouting OHHHH SHHHHHHHHUUUUCKS as you topple over the edge, wondering why this was a good idea.

Also, dark areas and stuff suddenly jumping out at you. But I think everyone hates that.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
It might not translate into real life, but...the Redeads from Ocarina of Time. Gimme a horror game or zombie shooter, and I'll handle them. Stick a Redead in front of me...that's a different story.

Here's that different story:

The first time I met them, I'd accidentally stumbled into that tomb where you get the Sun Song (y'know the one...right?). Approached the first one...instantly frozen. Then he proceeds to jump on me and start eating my face. At the time, I had absolutely no idea what to do in this situation, so I watched helplessly as the zombie steadily cut away at my health 'till, inevitably, I died.

That very first encounter terrified me from then on. I couldn't bear to go back into the tomb, and every time I ever had to meet a Redead I seized up. A few times I had to ask my younger siblings to complete a few areas for me. That was embarrassing...

Eventually, I conquered my fears when I plunged into the Shadow Temple, but they resurfaced in Majora's Mask just the same. Good thing they danced whenever I put that mask on.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Swimming in water for me. I have a huge fear of sharks so even if there are none there is still that lingering in the back of my mind. Every time i get out of the water that i swimming in, i always shutter.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Fear of heights, but very few games has been able to trigger it. Half-Life 2 was the worst, I almost never got through the bridge level. It's very hard to do with the eyes closed. ;-)

I don't mind climbing mountains in Skyrim, or gliding between buildings in Arkham City.

Oh and the midwives in System Shock 2. Thats most scary monster I ever encountered in a video game.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Anything that screams at me is very likely to make me scared. Mostly because of this guy:

(Open this in about five different tabs all at once for the full effect.)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Giant Spiders, especially the ones in Skyrim if i know they're coming i'll manage, but if they just throw some spiders into the 75% mark of a Draugr dungeon i'll freak out and run back to Farkas.

Water has very specific rules, it can have no monsters or tons of monsters or one big fuck off Kraken, as long as I know what's in there i'm fine. Even if someone says "Don't go near the lake" i'll just say "right, Kraken then. Fancy a swim?"

Drop me in a lake/ocean somewhere with no explaination and i'll be freaking out: "are there sharks? water demons? Krakens? Fucking aquatic Care Bears? What?!