Your in-game phobias

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Just not being able to see a damn thing, really. I'm okay with darkness in a familiar place, but...

Other than that I have no phobias that carry into games. In fact I'm much braver in games. "What's that, Bethesda? A five-hundred foot tall cliff? HA-HA! Well let's just jump over the edge and slide down the nearly 90 degree side!"

I do have a tendency while playing a scary game though to immediately close every door I just came from, though. No need to have some enemy I missed sneaking up behind me because I forgot to close the door.

Oh, and anything that is smaller, because they're hard to hit. Also, anything that is extremely loud or fast, robots dependent on how they are portrayed, and can come from almost ANYWHERE because of the AI and physics engine...

egrutt

Sep 14, 2008
Mimics.... those monsters that look like treasure chests.... I want my loot damit not a fight!

SixWingedAsura

Sep 27, 2010
SPIDERSAAAAHHHHSPIDERSAAAAAAHHHRUN!

Ugh, nasty horrendous things...Skyrim, I love you from the bottom of my heart, but your spiders...*shudders*

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I like most people apparently hate water. Namely, water with big man eating fish monsters. From "Big Birtha" in Mario

to Ichthyosaur in Half Life

I have the same fear in real life, strangely enough being eaten alive on land isn't as scary as something suddenly eating me in the dark waters of the ocean.

cambamuniverse

Jan 2, 2012
Definitely spiders, even though everyone has said that already. Even playing minecraft freaks me out, mainly because once I built a ginormous wall with no roof, and the spiders still managed to climb over the wall and I got killed. The sounds of them trying to get at me were terrifying -_-

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
LeQuack_Is_Back said:
Water. There's always SOMETHING in the water. It doesn't matter what, I just know that 9/10, it's not friendly. This happened so much that it almost became a real-life phobia for me. And even then, the breath meter spooks me. I don't perform well under time pressure.
I know how you feel. This fear creeped into my real life and now I can't swim in dark water or at night. I dont know i you've ever played F.E.A.R but there's a section where you hear a whisper saying "There's something in the water" and when you turn the corner there's a bed of dark water and you just about see something jump in. I was forced to creep around the sides of the water when playing this section. O.O

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Insanity72 said:
I think the title explains the discussion value for this thread well enough.

So Escapist, what are your in-game phobias and do them stem from your real life phobias? I know that the most popular one i've heard of is Arachnophobia.

But as for me, it's water. Any water that's deep enough that my character has to swim. Especially if it's dark and you can't see whats around you very well, I never know what could come out at me....or from behind me *shiver*. This probably comes from me disliking any deep water that i can't see my feet in, even if it's just a swimming pool at night, if i'm by myself and can't see my feet i'll be creeped out.

And just for some added discussion, what games has your phobia been relevant to?

For me, off the top of my head, Ape Escape on the PS1 had this level where you had to sit on this little raft and there was this giant ass fish that was swimming around and it terrified me. And it took me forever to convince myself to go swimming in Monster hunter tri.
Pretty much this. It's funny because I love swimming I was actually nick named Dolphin by my friends when I was younger.
I just don't like swimming in weedy water(who does) or in the dark because then I can't see anything and you never know when something with teeth might just...Anyway, I never thought I would take this phobia back to its origin point, Video games, but, ironically enough, here we are. The more real the water gets the worse the anxiety gets heh.

Been having a good bout with this little quirk of mine over the years in games such as Resident Evil 3(Chemical Lab) where my friend lead me to believe I would have to send Jill trudging through this sick pool full of cadavers and god knows what else (thankfully that wasn?t the case)

Next we have RE4. You are confronted with this cute little boat and this very large grimy lake (which they just showed you contained a nasty water beast) what could(n?t) go wrong? So you hop aboard and Leon sets out on his little care free boat ride. Then the game gives you a nice eagle eye shot of everything and reveals to you the massive size of this thing, which just so happens to now be lurking underneath your boat...

And lately, I?ve been having this little sore of mine poked at by games such as Resident Evil 5, Shadows of the Damned and Skyrim.(just can't get out of that water soon enough) I sincerely blame all of this on DK3
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxpq_3RRWLA