Your mom and gaming.

Thisgermandude

Oct 27, 2011
Tell me the funniest story about your mon and gaming. My mom for example knew the fifty first Pokémon by heart, just because I had a poster of the 150 first Pokémon in my room.Your mom played Contra,Zelda or kicked your ass in Tetris just write it down.Put in your dad storys in here as well.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Alas, my mom tends to ignore my gaming habit more than anything. She doesn't quite get why her little girl grew up to love gaming so much.

Nevertheless, she's gotten me a GameStop gift card for Christmas before. And my Xbox 360 was a birthday present from some time ago. So there's that.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
My mom and I were competitors on the 1980s Video Game game show Starcade! That is one of my many mom and gaming stories.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
My mum can kick my ass at Tetris. However, when it comes to console games, she can't quite grasp the whole 'two joysticks' thing. She only moves the left stick and doesn't turn. And yes, I am aware of the blatantly obvious innuendo in there.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
My mom is really cheap, like really really cheap she always buys knock offs, so when I was looking at her phone I found she had Fruit Slicer on her phone, even though Fruit Ninja is free she still needed the knock off

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
my mom used to play a whole lot of old dos games like blake stone, bio menace, doom, ect.
she also let me play doom when i was 5.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
My mom and me gave our differences towards video games, mainly on what they cause or don't cause and other events around and about them. She knows I that I want to be a game designer when I grow up and she supports it all the way, whatever makes me happy, she says. And I tell that her that I'm not in the industry for games on "blood and guts" I'm in it for question humanity and her boundaries, making it a true art, simulating the world in scenarios of "what if?"

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I took me several months to beat her Tetris high-score. And I think I may have gotten her hooked on Minecraft.

Darth Lexx

Aug 13, 2008
My little brother convinced our mom to try MW2 and Halo. She thought the controls were confusing and called it "stupid." Classic mom...

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
Oog. My mom does understand gaming, but she doesn't like it. She thinks that I could be doing something better with the time I spend on Oblivion, and got really pissed off when her computer had a little crap-out (the damn thing's 7 years old, it's going to have some problems) and speed issues, and blamed it on the fact that I had too many games on her computer (She has the only computer in the house that can run most of my crap, everyone else (including me) has a netbook, and I tried running ES IV on it, didn't work). Also, she's pissed that I spend too much time playing D&D with my friends, despite I contribute around 7-8 hours a week to it, ignoring the fact I have crew every day except Friday and the weekend.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Mine can't tell CoD from Gears of War. She kinda sees the appeal, but never really got into it herself. She will sometimes sit and read the newspaper when I play Fallout 3 and NV if I have the radio on, though; she likes the music.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
My mom's not really into the current gen of gaming except for certain titles (which is just as well, because she's pretty bad at console games), but she actually got me into PC gaming with my dad's help - he introduced me to Quake at like age 8, and I would sit in her lap and watch her play the King's Quest games when I was a little kid.

She does fail pretty hardcore at Kingdom Hearts, though. 100+ hours and only level 50.

Vlywncint

Nov 23, 2011
I was playing mortal kombat and fighting against one of the female characters while playing as sub zero. She walked in and saw a half-dressed character about to get the fatality screen and asked in shock what I was doing ...

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
LiberalSquirrel said:
Alas, my mom tends to ignore my gaming habit more than anything. She doesn't quite get why her little girl grew up to love gaming so much.

Nevertheless, she's gotten me a GameStop gift card for Christmas before. And my Xbox 360 was a birthday present from some time ago. So there's that.
This, almost exactly.

It's also very hard for me to suppress the "your mom" jokes, but I think I can manage.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
My mom just can't get into gaming, with the notable exception of the Professor Layton series. But she has seen my development from a kid who woke up too early to play CTR to an adult studying interactive narrative and aspiring to be a game designer, critic, or if the academic world grows up anytime soon, professor. I've given her a lot of my ideas, rants, and concepts, and she legitimately recognizes video games as an art form. So she respects my love for gaming, even if she can only really play one series herself (thankfully, Layton is a great series both for story and puzzle gameplay).

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
My mother used to sit on the floor and play Alex Kidd in Miracle World on our Sega Master System. That's the last time I am aware of her doing any gaming outside of Peggle/Bookworm/Diner Dash, etc.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
My mom calls Pikachu "Pick my nose" and to this day, no matter what the device I'm using is, she will ask if I'm getting a "Pick-my-nose" to have adventures with.