Your mom is facing your books

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
A recent survey seems to confirm the worst fears of today's youth: your mom is probably trying to read your facebook. And if she can't figure out how to do it, she probably wishes she could.

Code:
The survey of 2,000 British parents, carried out by OnePoll, found that 55% of respondents use social media to track their kids' online activities, with a further 5% admitting that, if they knew how to do the same thing, they would.
Source: http://techland.time.com/2011/07/18/more-than-50-of-parents-use-facebook-to-spy-on-their-kids/?hpt=hp_t2

I don't use the book of faces myself, but I met one young lady of asian descent that keeps a secret account under a pseudonym specifically to hide her activities from her parents. I thought she was exaggerating.
My question is, would you change your online habits if you knew your parents were watching?

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
I've flat out told them that I will never add them to facebook, even if they made one and sent an invite. Not because I'm hiding anything, but because it's an invasion of privacy. I told them I would show it to them if they wanted me to, but I won't add them to it. They're ok with that at least, though they never really ask to see it. I have good parents I guess lol.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yes, but pretty much anyone's truly free actions change when they know someone is watching.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
I just make it so my family members can't actually see my status. Individual blocking FTW.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
thiosk said:
A recent survey seems to confirm the worst fears of today's youth: your mom is probably trying to read your facebook. And if she can't figure out how to do it, she probably wishes she could.

Code:
The survey of 2,000 British parents, carried out by OnePoll, found that 55% of respondents use social media to track their kids' online activities, with a further 5% admitting that, if they knew how to do the same thing, they would.
Source: http://techland.time.com/2011/07/18/more-than-50-of-parents-use-facebook-to-spy-on-their-kids/?hpt=hp_t2

I don't use the book of faces myself, but I met one young lady of asian descent that keeps a secret account under a pseudonym specifically to hide her activities from her parents. I thought she was exaggerating.
My question is, would you change your online habits if you knew your parents were watching?
Well, my Mum died in 1994, so if she was "watching" I'd freak the fuck out and ask her if she was a ghost! If she said no, and that she had just arrived to have a peep at my facebook page, I'd inform her that there were bigger issues, like where the fuck she has been for the last 17 years!

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Google+ groups would solve this wouldn't it? Parents get to be a friend but they don't get to see what you don't share with your family group. That is assuming that I have understood how groups work.

Steambroom

Aug 8, 2009
Well I´ve blocked mine as one of the first things I did on fb.

Does this make a bad person?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I did add my mom and dad, but they never actually use it, anyway, so I'm good there.
I helped my mom make her account, actually.
I think she forgot how to use it or something.
My dad it just too lazy.

Anyway, I rarely post anything objectionable, though my mom saw me in a picture with a girl from school while looking at my page while passing by, and said, loudly
"Ooh! Who's that? She's cute!"
And commented on her breasts.

She forget that I'm fifteen, and not five, and that I'm allowed to have friends who are girls.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I don't use anything like the Book of Faces, or anything similiar to that, because I like to stay under peoples radar.

I wouldn't care if my parents watched my activities, because they're my parents. I know my father has one, but my mother shares the same opinion about it that I do.

I just don't like the fact that someone you don't even know could learn alot about you just by looking up your profile.
Think about it.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
A lot of my mates' parents have Facebook but I don't think they use it to 'monitor' them, they just have it 'cause they want it. My parents are very very old fashioned so I'm not sure they know what Facebook is. Actually, thinking about it, my one mate can't swear on Facebook because his parents are on there... and then I go and swear in front of them during graduation day. Sigh, I'm a terrible person

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
My mum goes on my sister's account to make sure she's doing nothing untoward (my sister is 13, so that's understandable). So my mum ends up seeing pretty much everything I post as well. Doesn't bother me though, I still curse and swear to my heart's content. I suppose it helps me and my mum are quite alike in humour and opinions and stuff, plus anything I do go on or post is stuff that I wouldn't be ashamed to say it to her face.

So yeah.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Stasisesque said:
I'm an adult, so I really don't care.
As am I, but so was the young asian lady I described in the post.

Terrified of her parents. Can you imagine being a 24 year old college grad with frequent "family meetings?"

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Facebook stalking is renowned for being a very effective method of keeping an eye on someone, sadly this invasion of privacy is something we've also set up. We don't HAVE to have a facebook account, and we don't HAVE to have that account open for public viewing.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I very rarely use Facebook, and my parents don't have it, but I really don't care if they look at my status as I don't really write anything that would offend them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
They're on Facebook. My Mom thinks I'm funny. And I typed up the funny stuff when I thought she had forgotten Facebook existed, so it wasn't altered because of watchful eyes.

So no, I don't really care that they're watching.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Souplex said:
Yet another reason I don't have one.
This, my mom actually logged onto my computer (the week after I took off my password, I thought I could trust...) and read through dozens of emails to my girlfriend and my best friend. She was deeply insulted that I had complained about her. She read my girlfriends very personal emails about her life that she entrusted to me and me alone. I still have not fully forgiven for that one.

I have many passwords now, and always lock my PC (Windows key and L at the same time) when I am not using it for even a few seconds to get something. It is sad.