Your Most Harrowing Boss Fight In Gaming

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
I'd have to say the most hazing boss battle I went through was with Tanzra from Actraiser; as a kid I was in now way prepared for what this guy, especially since I used up all my magic on the bosses that came before. It didn't matter that your sword can shoot projectiles now, nor the amount of health, at that point I couldn't figure out then how to dodge his attacks or keep it together with his second form back then.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Its across between the giant rat men in the swamp, every other boss in Demons Souls or The end boss of Shadows of the damned. That was a hard fight!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The first that comes to mind is Nyx from Persona 3. It's a horribly long fight an he has a arsenal of really cheap attacks. I never did beat the bastard.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I would say Super Meat Boy but the entire bloody game was harrowing to be honest.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Tyrant fights in Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Especially if you only had a pistol left, no FAQ walkthru and no prior saves to go back to.
Hardmode.

A few of the original Ninja Gaiden re-make's bosses (not Sigma, the xbox version). Actually just that game in general.

One of the Seymour Guado fights in FFX gave me trouble, without level-grinding.

Chaos in the original (NES) FF1. Getting through that dungeon without save-states... please stop the madness.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts II. Took ages to finally beat him.
I don't think I've ever had a boss fight quite that intense. Of course, this was a few years back. There are probably objectively harder bosses I've beaten since then, but I'm a lot better at gaming myself.
I just watched a Youtube vid of the fight, and he doesn't seem nearly as tough as I remember.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Alright, I've two:

The first is Breath of Fire III. I was pretty under-leveled the first time I got to Maria. But I was still able to win. It took me 60 manly clothes, 20 of those fruits that restore mana and 60 minutes... but I was able to win.

The second is Final Fantasy IX. That end boss that comes out of nowhere and was never hinted at or explained. Completely out of place. The first time I faced him, I didn't have on anything to resist the "heat" condition, so I died quick. The second time I was as prepared as I could've been. After a good ten-minute desperation-fest, I was down to just Zidane and he had 143 (or so) hp. Looking for a potion would've given this guy the time needed to squish me and I was out of mana. So... I just attacked... for around 5k damage. And the boss died.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Pretty much ever boss character in every fighting game ever made.

The Sigma battles from Mega Man X and X3(I hated Kaiser Sigma so much as a kid).

The final battle in Mega Man X4 if you're playing as Zero.

YMIR mechs and Scions from Mass Effect 2 on insanity. So. Freaking. Annoying. Especially when you have to fight more than one at once.

Darth Malak in Knights of The Old Republic, when my character was built only for straight up melee combat. Melee attack... heal... flurry... heal... force speed... heal... power strike... heal... Ad infinitum.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Huh..to my knowledge harrowing meant terrifying or distressing, To which I'd probably say the Flying polyps in Call of Cthulhu(dark corners of the earth) (ok they're not proper bosses but you only fight them once and they take a lot of hits)

O-actual-T: Difficulty was probably the secret ghost boss in Kingdom hearts. Playing the physical-fighter fighting a boss you can (basically) only hurt with magic, and with a time limit. Yeah. Difficult.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Ares! There is nothing you can put in my way to stop me! I Will save my family!

The Clone Boss fight in God of War 1 is probably the most harrowing boss fight for me. I went through and beat it twice, one on Normal, the other time on God mode, and that fight was pain on a level that I can't say rivals any other human pain in the world, but on a psychological level, it drove me down pretty hard.

Great game, though.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
First one that comes to mind is the final boss of FTL. My ship was on fire in about 3 different rooms, there were 2-3 boarding parties wreaking merry hell with my ship systems and I was at less that 25% health. Just before my weapons systems gave out I was able to fire off the finishing missile, killing the boss. I'm pretty sure I heard my ship dying as the credits rolled. This was the first time I'd beaten the game, and had managed to unlock two ships.

Then Steam ate my save data and I lost it all :-( Haven't gone back to the game since, probably will once I get over it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Shiro in Guild Wars: Nightfall come to my mind althought that was super tough due to the party I was in and which characters I was playing (my Elementist had it easy while my Ritualist had it rought).

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Easily The Mysterious Figure boss fight in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. I mean, he is pretty much a broken type of boss to begin with, but dammit, the last half of that fight was so freaking intense. Its a good thing his boss theme is really good or else I would have gotten annoyed. Doing him with one character is bad enough, but trying with all 3? Ven and Aqua are done, but I've never been able to beat him as Terra. Only tried a couple of times before I realized I wasn't going to waste my time (as I unlocked the secret ending already).

The only other one I can think of is just playing Horde Mode in Gear 3 on the highest difficulty setting. Technically I guess it doesn't really count, but its sure is so heart pumping when everything starts happening. The same goes for story mode I guess. On the submarine level when you have to fight a bunch of those Armored Kantus' and Scorpions? Me and 3 others must have tried like 20 times easily. Didn't help that one of the other players was my cousin who just came back from a party and was kind of drunk. Also, the final boss on hard mode. Screw that crap. Took two days for some reason.

But dammit did beating these guys not feel SOOOOO good.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008

This soulless killing machine right here.
10 Man heroic ICC. WoW.

Survivors at time, 1/10
I'm the 1.
A Paladin tank, decked out really nice. Full 10 man, even a few heroic pieces. That and I know how to play my class like a well oiled machine.

So, when the 2nd to last of us dies people think it's utterly hopeless, yet another wipe. She's sitting at 1 million hp, still burning with stacks of stuff. This is like our 10th attempt of the night. Well this is when I tossed the nitrous into the booster and I'm pretty sure Sabatons song "Panzer Battalion" was probably playing in the background. Truely showing I'm a real Tiger Tank, I didn't mention my guys name was Tiger, hmm.

I brought down the most righteous, badass justice that a paladin has ever laid upon an enemy of Light.
It was glorious.

Vent exploded in cries of astonishment and cheers as she fell. I was hailed as a hero.

That was my most harrowing moment in any boss fight, probably for all my time to come.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Without a doubt the Flamelurker from Demon Souls. Most intense and difficult boss fight ever. especially when he gets to 30% health and go nuts.
That isn't the fire spider thing is it? Because I owned that fucker, everything else kicked my ass after that though.

OT: Penance on FF10. Makes Dark Yojimbo look like those first sinspawn that can't kill you.

Edit: Sephiroth in the first kingdom hearts. And Blue back in Gen 1 of Pokemon when I was like 9.
No it's the boss that comes after that fire spider, and just before the dragon god.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
Without a doubt the Flamelurker from Demon Souls. Most intense and difficult boss fight ever. especially when he gets to 30% health and go nuts.
Urgh that was so painful. I gave up and tried to use a glitched spot but it didn't even work so I had to beat him legit. So happy when I did it!

Also, the False King from Demon's Souls as well. The fucker just kept stunlocking me and stole my levels a few times. A boss should not be able to do that goddamnit!

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
MrTwo said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Urgh that was so painful. I gave up and tried to use a glitched spot but it didn't even work so I had to beat him legit. So happy when I did it!

Also, the False King from Demon's Souls as well. The fucker just kept stunlocking me and stole my levels a few times. A boss should not be able to do that goddamnit!
Haha yeah I also failed at the glitch spot attempt. False King was a bastard of a boss, but so damn satisfying to beat.