Your Most Harrowing Boss Fight In Gaming

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Though not the hardest boss, when I think "harrowing" the first thing that came to mind was the 11th colossus in Shadow of the Colossus.

The bull-like one that you had to scare with fire initially

Kind of ironic because it was easily the smallest colossus in the game, but I remember I was having a lot of trouble beating him (also I was a lot younger and not as good at video games) and so I had logged about an hour or so in the fight and was starting to get the hang of it and was hiding out in the lake to heal and not die and it was just so tense and epic and when I won I was so relieved.

Favorite game of all time, still.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Lord Gwyn in Dark Souls. He's a freaking fallen God and... He just tore me apart without even trying. @.@

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Darth Rahu said:
Lord Gwyn in Dark Souls. He's a freaking fallen God and... He just tore me apart without even trying. @.@
Save Solaire in your next game. Jolly cooperation makes Gwyn a chump.

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Nyx from Persona 3, I beat it first try but holy shit, that fight was intense, the thought of dying after an hour of fighting him was terrifying!
So much this. At first you're all "Well this is easy, he lost like 20% of his health in a couple attacks". Then he changes forms and you're all like "Oh man, now it get real", but it doesn't get real. Not until after 11(!) more transformations. And by then you're an hour into the fight and he starts kicking your ass and you start freaking out and it's ridiculously intense and stressful and glorious.

Although personally,
Shadow Kanji
from Persona 4 was more harrowing. Mostly because the fight was right down to the wire for me. I'd been at it for 40 minutes, was completely out of mana and healing items and if my attack hadn't finished him off when it did he would have killed me with his next attack.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I'm not sure. Some of the most harrowing boss fights (like Descent 3) also had infinite lives. So while I died horrificly countless times, there wasn't really anything at stake.

Honestly, a lot of the best and most harrowing games I've played had no proper final boss fights, like the STALKER games on Master difficulty.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
THE BEAST RUNE INCARNATION in great game Suikoden 2. That was long and tedious ...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Without a doubt the Flamelurker from Demon Souls. Most intense and difficult boss fight ever. especially when he gets to 30% health and go nuts.
That isn't the fire spider thing is it? Because I owned that fucker, everything else kicked my ass after that though.

OT: Penance on FF10. Makes Dark Yojimbo look like those first sinspawn that can't kill you.

Edit: Sephiroth in the first kingdom hearts. And Blue back in Gen 1 of Pokemon when I was like 9.
No it's the boss that comes after that fire spider, and just before the dragon god.
AH I see, I'll haev to finish up Demon's Souls soon..

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
You know those bosses that had a fairly simple way to beat them, but it took you so long to figure it out you felt like a complete idiot when you worked it out?

Yeah, well... this guy from Diddy Kong Racing...

3 laps in a slippery hovercraft against this guy, and I just couldn't do it, I mastered my driving lines, got all the boosts, and still couldn't beat him for about a year, until I noticed a build up of red (rocket) balloons just before a massive straight stretch. I realised if I chained 3 red balloons in a row I could get 10 unguided missiles. I just entered the stretch, lined him up carefully, then started unloading missiles on him. He had a decent 6 or 7 second lead on me, but he caught so many missiles up his backside that I could catch him with ease.

Though you still have to hit him on the waterline. The number of times I hit a sandbar and my missile went high, and sailed RIGHT THROUGH HIS BULBOUS HEAD WITHOUT HIM EVEN NOTICING... made me want to throttle something!

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
The first that comes to mind is Nyx from Persona 3. It's a horribly long fight an he has a arsenal of really cheap attacks. I never did beat the bastard.
I still don't get why people found him hard, I beat him first try quite easily, you guys just must have been under leveled or had crappy Personas.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DustlessDragoon said:
canadamus_prime said:
The first that comes to mind is Nyx from Persona 3. It's a horribly long fight an he has a arsenal of really cheap attacks. I never did beat the bastard.
I still don't get why people found him hard, I beat him first try quite easily, you guys just must have been under leveled or had crappy Personas.
Yeah yeah, I hear he's a breeze if you have Lucifer, but I didn't have Lucifer and he's still a cheap ass.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
DustlessDragoon said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah yeah, I hear he's a breeze if you have Lucifer, but I didn't have Lucifer and he's still a cheap ass.
Fair enough even though I didn't have Lucifer, I just had a good set-up I think.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
cojo965 said:
Mine comes from the new DLC for Dark Souls, namely Artorias of the Abyss and the black dragon Kalameet.
Really? I found artorias pretty straightforward. Kalameet though, is a fucking monster. I think all of the DLC bosses are easier to kill using a low-weight character with a fast weapon. The guardian isn't too tough in the first place, artorias moves pretty quick and can attack you from the other side of the room which makes a fast dodge useful, manus has relatively small openings in which to attack, same with kalameet, and he can break a block pretty easily too. I got through them all using a balder swag sword, and then the gold tracer (which I love) without too much hassle aside from kalameet.

In addition to kalameet though, I'd say the four kings on NG+, particularly when I was at an unusual soul level, and before the DLC was released, so I had very few summons. I had to use Beatrice. BEATRICE! She deals a bit of damage, but drops like a fly, and then leaves you up shit creek.