Your Most Hated Interpretation of A Character you like?

CommanderZx2

Dec 13, 2014
Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel. Not only do they 'Uncle Ben' him like Spider-Man, but they completely distort and twist his message. Such as telling Clark to let children drown, etc. After Man of Steel David S. Goyer should be banned from ever writing another superhero movie again.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Kratos in the subsequent God of War games. At first he was mostly a tortured man played by the gods: justifiably pissed, royally screwed, but more tormented than vengeful. A by-the-book example of a Greek Tragic Hero. Then he became wrath incarnated to the point he could accurately be described as a big baby making a tantrum, and would go out of his way to personally screw on whoever crossed on his way, no matter the alignment; by the end of the third game he is also Hope incarnated or some other bullshit...

fluffybunny937

Jul 5, 2009
I would say Revan in SWTOR. In KOTOR s/he is a blank slate character that I can interpret however I want, which is okay for a featureless protagonist (look it up on tvtropes). In KOTOR2 s/he is given a personality, but much of what makes it work is that Revan is not present and what we learn new about the character is through other people and their experiences with him/her. In SWTOR they made Revan a he, which I guess is okay to give a canon gender/appearance after enough time in this kind of situation. But then we meet Revan in SWTOR and then there is the book where he gets captured by the Emperor. And well, you know that scene in planet of the apes where Charlton Heston sees the Statue of Liberty and yells. It kind of feels like that for me, "You ruined him, you ruined the character from my favorite RPG, damn you all to Hell".

That might not count as a interpretation, but it feels like an entirely different character interpretation to me.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Nazulu said:

I've always hated this interpretation of Samus. I knew exactly what was going to happen to the franchise as soon as I saw this. There will never be another great Metroid like Super Metroid now that the focus has shifted.
You can easily make that argument about Other M, but seriously? The Metroid Prime Trilogy just sucks because you see Zero Suit Samus for about 1 minute at the most? Metroid Fusion? Zero Mission? Just because the Zero Suit shows up in those games does not mean they somehow lost their way. I would like to have more of an elaboration on what you stated, if possible.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Varanfan9 said:
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread
You know I would have posted that but I literally went out of my way to forget it EVER existed! God, that was horrible!

On topic, Galactus:

versus "Ultimate Galactus":

Let's take what is essentially an alien god in the Marvel Universe and turn him into the sentinels from The Matrix but with the Borg hive mind.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CommanderZx2 said:
Jonathan Kent in Man of Steel. Not only do they 'Uncle Ben' him like Spider-Man, but they completely distort and twist his message. Such as telling Clark to let children drown, etc. After Man of Steel David S. Goyer should be banned from ever writing another superhero movie again.
Ugh, yeah, he was terrible. And let's not forget the whole *Hold up hand* "No no, don't save me son, this is where I'm scripted to fade away into the storm....nevermind I could easily run/hobble away at this point and escape" crap he pulled.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Zen Bard said:
Varanfan9 said:
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread
You know I would have posted that but I literally went out of my way to forget it EVER existed! God, that was horrible!

On topic, Galactus:

Let's take what is essentially an alien god in the Marvel Universe and turn him into the sentinels from The Matrix but with the Borg hive mind.
What about the movie Galactus or as I like to call him "The Killer Cloud".

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
I'm going to go with something a little...controversial and say that John Galt as The Ubermench is hargleblargleghaah. I mean, all of Atlas Shrugged is horriterrible, but John Galt especially-and everything about him-is simply despicable. And I'm not just talking about how he says, 'Fuck everyone outside of my little bubble' at the end of the book, or how he had one of his friends sink ships filled with food meant for people who were starving overseas, but his inane, pratling clams of moral superiority just...that's not how it was supposed to work.

Has anyone here ever heard of The Ring of the Nibelung [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Ring_des_Nibelungen]? It's an epic opera written by a friend of Nietzche's, and the character of Siegfried was meant to represent the Ubermench, and Wagner actually had input from Nietzche regarding that. The biggest, most glaring difference between John Galt and Siegfried is that Siegfried is a fucking moron. Seriously. He's so stupid that he literally doesn't understand how fear works, and that's a plot point. Galt? Galt is literally the smartest man on earth, and when the rest of the world refuses to let him lord that over them, he engineers their deaths. That is not an exaggeration.

This is just my own interpretation, but I've always thought that the ubermench was meant to be a being beyond reproach. A being that lacked the will-or maybe even the ability-to do evil. Rand got it completely mixed up; the ubermench should neither need nor have to justify their actions to anyone else; rather everyone else would need to justify and explain their actions to him[footnote]Or her. Her also works[/footnote].

It just...it just pisses me off is all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For me that could be Tony Stark from the anime Iron Man.

The main synopis is that he went to Japan to build a arc reactor and somewhere on the line he had made some mass production of the Iron Man suit called Iron Man duo and plan to retired or something like that. I just felt it was out of character for him to had done that althought I am comparing him to the movie Tony Stark which I think the anime was based from.

Also there is Hal Jordan from the Cry for Justice story arc which again was out of character (in one of the comics he said something that he respected Batman after his "death" but in that story arc, he called him a jerk or something like that).

Oh lastly there's Cyclop from the cartoon Wolverine and the X-men. Ever since Jean dissapear, he pretty much became a bum. Ok sure I don't exactly respected him that much but man he was such a pissy wimp (to the point that he almost bail out that Charles favour Wolverine to helped change the future if it weren't for Charles to called him back again) in that version but again in that series, they made Wolverine as the main hero being in charge and the like.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mine might seem a bit...off, seeing as the version I saw was not the original version, but here it goes:

Sailor Mars/Rei from Sailor Moon Crystal. Well, really, all the Scouts from Crystal, but let's focus on Rei, shall we?

In the original anime, Rei is given a fierce temper and rivalry with Usagi/Serena. She still has her calm, cool, "I'm a mystic shrine maiden moments" but she had more that just that going on in the anime. I liked it.

And then I read the manga and started watching Crystal, and it drove me nuts. Rei may as well not even be there for all she does and says. And since she doesn't go to the same school, she is never around the group. I know this is the original version of her character--calm and cool--but she is so boring. No personality whatsoever. I was afraid that when they said they were going to follow the manga that this would happen, but it's still painful to watch. Rei is no longer the forceful friend who makes Usagi do the tough things she doesn't always want to do. She is now just a doll that stands in the background and occasionally mentions that she feels a dark presence nearby.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It might have to be Adam West's Batman, or the Batman from Frank Miller's All Star, as brought up earlier. That series removed any sort of moral bone from his body, rendering the character into just another Punisher/ Vigilante.

I also dislike the recent New 52 decision to have The Joker let Dollmaker remove his (Joker's) face, and then having Joker crappily pin it back on. It was a cheap attempt at horror, with very little depth or significance for the character. Schlocky.

My own choice... well, it's not entirely an accurate answer, but Stannis Baratheon, from the show, Game of Thrones. Let me say to start that I love how Stephen Dillane plays him: he holds himself perfectly. My issues are entirely with the script, and the large changes they've made to his character.

In the books, he doesn't believe in any gods. He's an atheist. The show, on the other hand, has him demanding of others, "How can you deny [Melisandre's] god is real?", and calling non-believers "infidels". Now, the show may leave a few hints that he's not really into it, but book-Stannis would never say those things. Book-Stannis shoots down the religious fanatics in his ranks.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Tyrantlestia and murderer Pinkie Pie. Those are both fandom things but I despise them with the fury of a thousand suns.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Kerrigan in StarCraft 2.
Apparently someone read too many (bad) fanfictions instead of actually playing StarCraft.
It?s basically a guide on how to ruin a villain and be bad at writing.

Raynor and Kerrigan were no item, they were comrades. But as we all know this is an alien concept since they are man and woman there has to be sexual tension and a relationship? it?s the law!
Blaming Kerrigans heinous acts on the Zerg Infestation just destroys her legacy as a villain. Of course they had to do that because they fucking suck at writing.
They needed to ally all races for the imminent return/attack of the Xel?Naga/Hybrids. They couldn?t come up with a reason for the original Queen of Blades to join forces with Terrans and Protoss nor either of them to trust her so they pussified her and the Zerg alike by turning them into lapdogs.
Yea? fuck of Blizzard.

Uncle Comrade

Feb 28, 2008
Silvanus said:
My own choice... well, it's not entirely an accurate answer, but Stannis Baratheon, from the show, Game of Thrones. Let me say to start that I love how Stephen Dillane plays him: he holds himself perfectly. My issues are entirely with the script, and the large changes they've made to his character.

In the books, he doesn't believe in any gods. He's an atheist. The show, on the other hand, has him demanding of others, "How can you deny [Melisandre's] god is real?", and calling non-believers "infidels". Now, the show may leave a few hints that he's not really into it, but book-Stannis would never say those things. Book-Stannis shoots down the religious fanatics in his ranks.
They also seem to have got 'firm but fair' confused with 'miserable arsehole', just having him treat everyone he meets like shit for no real reason. I know Stannis isn't exactly supposed to be likeable, his lack of charisma is one of his defining traits, but the other one is his strong sense of honour and justice. Having Melisandre need to talk him out of killing Davos is just something that would never happen in the books.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Veldie said:
Lobo the whole taking him from being the main man to whatever that abomination is in 52 is horrible

Frak making him sympathetic or skinny he needs to be the MAIN MAN.
I concur! And the weird thing is if done right he CAN still be sympathetic, yet be similar to Deadpool. There's an opportunity here that DC is really missing. What am I talking about? Think about what Lobo was originally created as for a moment; a parody of 90's comic book heroes. The same can be done here, have him be a parody of CURRENT superhero stereo-types. But that would take EFFORT, and actually make DC comics somewhat FUNNY and ENJOYABLE again, now wouldn't it? And Lord knows, DC certainly wouldn't let that right now, would they? "No character gets a happy ending", what a load! I'm not saying all the "New 52" books are bad, after all, I've heard good things about "Forever Evil", and am curious about Sinestro's new ongoing series. (Wherein he's portrayed as an anti-hero.) What I'm saying is that I not only want some way to endear to the characters, but it could REALLY use some levity right now, not to mention some new ideas or fresh takes on characters I like. It's kind of part of the reason I liked Superior Spiderman so much. I mean, talk about a series I was surprised by how I liked it. I went into it unsure about due to a villain being in Spidey's body, basically worried there would be a darker tone that be...in bad taste to the character I remember. But after reading the reviews, and finally giving the first volume a read, I thought it was a rather refreshing take on the character. I've recently heard of this Marvel character called "Squirrel Girl". She's supposedly an embodiment of the goofy, lightheartedness of comics in general. She also has a new series that released recently, and I think I'm going to check it out...see if I like it.

Here's a link to a comic that I thought was both funny and appropriate since Lobo was brought up: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/1905

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
CommanderZx2 said:
He didn't tell Clark to let kids drown, he said 'maybe' as in 'I don't know' as in 'I don't have all the answers.' He was just trying to protect his son.

tf2godz said:
Zen Bard said:
Varanfan9 said:
/thread

On topic, Galactus:

What about the movie Galactus or as I like to call him "The Killer Cloud".

He's not a cloud, he's IN the cloud. Silver Surfer flies into the cloud to confront Galactus; if Galactus was the cloud, SS would've stopped in front of it. Besides, a giant man in maroon tights would've just looked ridiculous.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Silvanus said:

While I'm not exactly precious about the characters in a Song of Ice and Fire, the show has "reinterpreted" a lot of the characters. Now, I know that its a TV show, and it has its limitations (time and budget mainly) but I don't think there is a single character from the book who they have stayed entirely faithful to. I'm not dismissing anyones performance in the show either, because like you say, Stephen Dillane is great as show Stannis, but I agree that show Stannis is extremely different.

I also think that show Cercei is extremely different. I thought she was a far... stronger? more layered, more interesting character in the books. In the show she just seems a lot more petulant, but then a lot of that has to do with the extra plot threads they gave her in the show.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Ishigami said:
Kerrigan in StarCraft 2.
Apparently someone read too many (bad) fanfictions instead of actually playing StarCraft.
It?s basically a guide on how to ruin a villain and be bad at writing.

Raynor and Kerrigan were no item, they were comrades. But as we all know this is an alien concept since they are man and woman there has to be sexual tension and a relationship? it?s the law!
Blaming Kerrigans heinous acts on the Zerg Infestation just destroys her legacy as a villain. Of course they had to do that because they fucking suck at writing.
They needed to ally all races for the imminent return/attack of the Xel?Naga/Hybrids. They couldn?t come up with a reason for the original Queen of Blades to join forces with Terrans and Protoss nor either of them to trust her so they pussified her and the Zerg alike by turning them into lapdogs.
Yea? fuck of Blizzard.
You beat me to it. All I could think through "Fury of the Swarm" was how great it would be if they offed Kerrigan and had Abathur take over the swarm. Abathur was friggin' great.

As someone already mentioned, Venom from Spider-man 3 was just awful: 'let's take a character who's depicted as 6 feet 4 inches of pure muscle, and have him be played by a guy who maybe weighs 130 lbs.'