Your Most Hated Interpretation of A Character you like?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
'Every character in the Fox X-Men films' would be my pick, but two that annoy me the most are; Emma Frost - you turn a manipulative, dominant badass telepath into a meek, submissive little dolly bird? Seriously, you dumb fucking hack writers?

And Kitty Pryde: a main character in Days Of Future Past on the page gets reduced to 'Hey! Let's give her random powers and never explain it, and also put her one tiny action sequence shot in the trailer!'. You hire Ellen Page to sit still for almost the entirety of a film - most of it offscreen - to hold some guys head since when?

Although honestly, the Fox X-Men films are a trainwreck of gutted arcs and crappy iterations of characters, so really Emma and Kitty are just two that symbolise it for me. This will quickly turn into a rant against the dross that was the Days Of Future Past film, so I'll stop here...

[ captcha: I like humans ]

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
'Every character in the Fox X-Men films' would be my pick, but two that annoy me the most are; Emma Frost - you turn a manipulative, dominant badass telepath into a meek, submissive little dolly bird? Seriously, you dumb fucking hack writers?
Well, technically, they did stay true to Emma Frost's personality...but not her actions, and basically gave her nothing to do for most of the film but look sexy and just sit in an interrogation room (I think; haven't watched First Class in a while.

And then, the final nail in the coffin is
prior to the following film's events, she and the boring-ass one-note supporting X-Men mutants from the previous films are unceremoniously killed off-screen.

Darth Rosenberg said:
And Kitty Pryde: a main character in Days Of Future Past on the page gets reduced to 'Hey! Let's give her random powers and never explain it, and also put her one tiny action sequence shot in the trailer!'. You hire Ellen Page to sit still for almost the entirety of a film - most of it offscreen - to hold some guys head since when?

Although honestly, the Fox X-Men films are a trainwreck of gutted arcs and crappy iterations of characters, so really Emma and Kitty are just two that symbolise it for me. This will quickly turn into a rant against the dross that was the Days Of Future Past film, so I'll stop here...
Well...things might be looking up (especially continuity-wise), judging by the end of the film and the upcoming Apocalypse. How good it may be, only time will tell. Although, predictably, Wolverine (a.k.a. "Huge Ass Jack-off Man" *childish giggle*) will just hog all the action again. :/

But whatever. As long as we see Quicksilver (and the Scarlet Witch) again - and for longer than an extended cameo this time. -_-

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Veldie said:
Lobo the whole taking him from being the main man to whatever that abomination is in 52 is horrible

Fuck making him sympathetic or skinny he needs to be the MAIN MAN.
Same thing with Venom, isnt he just a solider guy now instead of the monster?

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Twintix said:
Is this solely limited to official works?

Because Touhou fans are absolute experts at ruining the characters just to make them fit their personal headcanon. You could argue that all fandoms do this, but the Touhou fandom is the absolute worst with it. Probably because Touhou lore as a whole is a bit on the vague side, but the way fans just completely disregard canon because it's not as they imagined it is...rather astonishing.

Here's how it works:
1. You take a character who has some established character traits.
2. You do away with pesky things like "depth" and "canon", pick out the specific traits you need and blow them out of proportion.
3. Done!
As a Touhou fan, you'll find no arguments from me. XD
I tend to adore the fandom because they come up with some of the most amazing and unamazing stuff that's out there.

Ishigami said:
Kerrigan in StarCraft 2.
Apparently someone read too many (bad) fanfictions instead of actually playing StarCraft.
It?s basically a guide on how to ruin a villain and be bad at writing.

Raynor and Kerrigan were no item, they were comrades. But as we all know this is an alien concept since they are man and woman there has to be sexual tension and a relationship? it?s the law!
Blaming Kerrigans heinous acts on the Zerg Infestation just destroys her legacy as a villain. Of course they had to do that because they fucking suck at writing.
They needed to ally all races for the imminent return/attack of the Xel?Naga/Hybrids. They couldn?t come up with a reason for the original Queen of Blades to join forces with Terrans and Protoss nor either of them to trust her so they pussified her and the Zerg alike by turning them into lapdogs.
Yea? fuck of Blizzard.
This hits my original text right on the head. I could not tell if Blizzard was thinking clearly in their writing for Raynor OR Kerrigan while going through the campaign. In WoL we get the love relationship that never happened in Starcraft 1. I see this, and I'm thinking So he's okay with falling in love with her because she's now part of some prophecy even though she killed Fenix, one of his best friends, along with millions of lives? At least that's what it came off to me. And then in HotS when Kerrigan comes to get Raynor back he's like "ERMAGERD, you're infested again! You killed Fenix and all those others! WTF?" At that point I felt conflicted. Why didn't they put this up to set up the tension for the game?

You brought up the infestation being an excuse for her villainy. It's sort of a mixed bag of items. We know for a fact that she never would've killed those people if she wasn't infested. But I think a more clear point that Blizzard forgot is that special powers is not what makes one a hero or a villain, it's what choose you do with those powers that makes you a hero or a villain. Kerrigan was originally swayed by the Overmind to do its bidding. After the Overmind was slain, Kerrigan saw her potential and *chose* to become a conquerer. For all we know she could have had some conflicting feelings about helping the Terrains or Protoss out. Heck, we even see that at the beginning of the Protoss campaign in Brood War.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
Well, technically, they did stay true to Emma Frost's personality...but not her actions...
Which era or iteration of Emma are you referring to? Because I've never read anything that had her be so robotically passive bordering on submissive. For me her personality was--- well, purged or deleted. Either the writer just didn't understand any era or iteration of the character (especially wearing the White Queen gettup), or the directing for her was just shite. I'm going with: both.
And then, the final nail in the coffin is
prior to the following film's events, she and the boring-ass one-note supporting X-Men mutants from the previous films are unceremoniously killed off-screen.
Well, given that its grasp of time meddlin' is playschool level, I wouldn't say that's for certain.
They seemingly featured another Emma Frost in the 'present' timeline as a kid in the hilariously awful Origins Wolverine, so who knows how they'll decide who's alive and who's dead. If Fox X-Men Protagonist Wolverine reset and changed the timeline, then Emma can easily still be alive.
Well...things might be looking up (especially continuity-wise), judging by the end of the film and the upcoming Apocalypse. How good it may be, only time will tell. Although, predictably, Wolverine (a.k.a. "Huge Ass Jack-off Man" *childish giggle*) will just hog all the action again. :/
DoFP was regarded well by some fans, but I have no idea why. All it does is---
---reset the series to a fairly shitty default cinematic team line-up, with aging cast members. Famke Janssen's still mind bendingly hot, sure, but do we want another X-Men trilogy with the team members knocking on to their 40's and 50's? Characters never age - even if they're not Logan - but actors clearly do.
DoFP was just proof that Fox had absolutely no idea how to handle the entire property. They messed the series up, then tied themselves in continuity knots. The whole thing needs to be rebooted.
But whatever. As long as we see Quicksilver (and the Scarlet Witch) again - and for longer than an extended cameo this time. -_-
Heh, that film had so much illogical BS going on - dumping arguably the most capable mutant in your team was just another. I couldn't care less about Fox's continuity. Whilst Quicksilver's scene in DoFP was excellently done, I'm still more interested in how the MCU will handle the twins. If Wanda does join the Avengers, I'm hoping they'll give her an outfit which still resembles her various iconic designs on the page, albeit with less flesh flashed.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I was really disappointed by Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. She's supposed to be one of the deadliest hand to hand fighters in the universe, she could beat the shit out of Captain America. That last confrontation with Nebula should have been a joke, but they made her massively weaker. Also the whole "being thanos' daughter" thing got their relationship dynamic very wrong. They had a very cold (but not cold?) relationship when he was raising her, and I don't think she could be referred to as a 'daughter'.

Drax has undergone drastic changes since I read comics with him, so he could be fine if you ignore the role Gamora played in his development, so having them meet with him at this advanced stage is a bit off.

As a fan of the Infinity Watch and OG Guardians, Guardians was the first of these marvel movies to get a major character 'wrong'. (Not even gonna go into space redneck yandu with his fucking METAL MOHAWK. Balls.) It's got me nervous for how Marvel's going to handle the other more obscure properties. Thanos is one of my favorite comic book characters, I really hope he's not awful.

I don't know anything about Raccoon, Groot, or Starlord, so I can't comment on them.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
Ishigami said:
You beat me to it. All I could think through "Fury of the Swarm" was how great it would be if they offed Kerrigan and had Abathur take over the swarm. Abathur was friggin' great.
Wot? Abathur wasn't in "Fury of the Swarm," just Duran and Kerrigan, that's the one where the UED sics its broods on Kerrigan. At any rate, while Blizzard did get Mengsk and Kerrigan's personalities pretty wrong in StarCraft II, neither of them got it as bad as the poor Overmind.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
All the Characters of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, moving on to Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Oh hey, look Jack Sparrow's still alive!...and now he has wacky kooky clones everywhere...great...

Oh look, its Barbossa!...And he's now a wacky kooky pirate who does nothing but say "Aaaaargh"...great...

Oh no, watch out for evil Davie Jones!...who's now a wimpering cry baby pawn...great...

Oh cool, that cool Tia Dalma chick is back!...only now she's a badly CGI'd giant with crabs...great...

Hey look Orlando Bloom!...is now drinking tea with the baddies and can't decide what his motivation is any more...great...

Keira Knightley!...eh, she was already getting annoying. Now she's trying to be the heroic leader of a gang of rapist cut throat burglars...great...

I don't think there is a single character who gets reinvented - for the worse - in that shitty movie that tried to kill off the P of C franchise, and yet still somehow failed at that.

Nanondorf

May 6, 2014
It's been said, and must be said till the end of time. Other M Samus. Almost bad enough to bring the franchise to its knees. I'm pretty sure they're still recovering from that. We'll probably see another metroid many years from now.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
God said:
call me a fanboy of the old Dante or don't but the new dante from DMC was just stupid.
Cid Silverwing said:
Predictable choice, but Donte from DmC.
While I agree with you guys...

I see your Donte's and raise you a Vorgil

I have to give Credit to Ninja Theory for taking one of the most Badass, interesting and overall coolest characters in the original Devil May Cry Universe...and turning him into a total fucking Wuss.

What once was an honorable, anti-villainous half-demon badass has become a sneaky, dishonorable prat that made me wanna smack my head against a wall. Yes, I didn't like the new Dante either but...I could at-least still see SOME of his old self in there (If I looked hard enough). The New Vergil? They couldn't have got him more wrong if they tried...

Urgh...Goddamnit Ninja Theory...time to go play Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition again.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
every character that has the misfortune to move between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3

Tyreal: Takes the great concept of the Angel that was most concerned with humanity becoming human and do nothing with it, beyond a few "how do I human?" jokes. there was very little conflict about his angelic counterparts rejecting and re-accepting him (besides a glorious cut scene). It meant rather little for humanity, and he didn't really grow too much as a character.

Deckard Cain: The one iconic and consistent companion from both previous games known for being dull and a geriatric in distress. I loved to be bored by him as he spouted exposition and identified my pile of treasures, then he is in about 10% of the game and gets killed off by a C-list villain because reasons.

Diablo: Feels the need to chat far too much for an all powerful evil (made even more overwhelming because of the Black plot hole stone), you are supposed to be beneath him. especially seeing as you have done almost nothing to hinder his operation and he is waging a far more important and successful war on the heavens right now.

The Cow king: moo, moo moo, moo moo

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Every now and then I see somebody post a "theory" (but presented as outright fact) that Peter Pan is an angel, Neverneverland is the afterlife, and all the children are dead.

I find it very difficult to avoid commenting "No, that's dumb. You're dumb. Shut the fuck up."

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Not my most hated, but the Beowulf from the Zemeckis movie. Closer and related would be modern takes on Grendel. People today just don't get the poem and it's dealing with archetypes seeming them as cliche when they set the mold.

Happyninja42 said:
I didn't like the portrayal of Jessica Atreides in the orignal 1980ish Dune movie. They made her way more weak and useless than she actually was. Hell at one point she actually breaks down in a sobbing fit of tears....that's just NOT what Lady Jessica did.

Contrarily, in the SCI FI channel mini series, they did a REALLY good job with her, making her strong and powerful like I remember her, but then they went and screwed up Paul, making him a whiney, spoiled rich kid, which again isn't how he was in the books.

I also didn't like the SCI FI channel's version of Duke Leto Atreides. The actor who played him is....almost infamous for having like zero emotional range, and acting as if he is about to fall asleep from a bout of chronic narcolepsy.
What the TV movie did right too with Jessica was make her a warm, caring person and Saskia Reeves acting played into that. Jessica was always the antithesis of Lady MacBeth while in Lynch's Dune she was just a cold *****.

FeralDynasty

The Lich King
Feb 2, 2010
I'm sure it was already said somewhere in here but the entirety of the cast of the Eragon movie. I know the books weren't spectacular but no franchise deserved that movie.

FeralDynasty

The Lich King
Feb 2, 2010
TheMigrantSoldier said:
I can't wait for when the Burning Legion allies with the "good guys" to fight off the Old Gods or something.
DON'T SAY THINGS LIKE THAT, THEY MIGHT HEAR YOU, AND I MIGHT NEVER GET MY DREADLORD COUNCIL BOSS!

I said years ago that if Bliz ever puts a Dreadlord council fight into WoW I will beat it, and then quit forever. Because everyone needs a quitting point and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for those lazy bastards.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm gonna go with Mothra from the 1990's Rebirth of Mothra trilogy. Yeah, I know most of those movies focused more on Mothra's son rather than Mothra herself but...Goj, those movies were just TERRIBLE.

I will sit through almost any Kaiju flick. I've seen the Korean film Reptilian more than once, and for those of you who don't know what that is, Reptilian was basically they took Yonggary, a Korean Kaiju film that was already considered pretty bad, looked at the 1998 American Zilla film and then said "Heyyyy...now THAT'S a good idea!"

But the rebirth of Mothra movies were just AWFUL. REALLY bad CGI, annoying human characters, a villain who should've just been whacked with a broom early into the first film over and over again until she stopped moving, and just insane levels of ridiculousness. I can't even enjoy the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy in a fun campy way because it's not fun over the top bad, it's just bad bad.

It's kinda funny, the 90's gave us the absolute worst Kaiju trilogy with the Mothra films, but it also gave us the absolute best Kaiju trilogy with the Gamera series they did.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Infernai said:
God said:
call me a fanboy of the old Dante or don't but the new dante from DMC was just stupid.
Cid Silverwing said:
Predictable choice, but Donte from DmC.
While I agree with you guys...

I see your Donte's and raise you a Vorgil

To be honest I was trying to forget that he existed. They messed up so much with those beloved characters. But you have to squint really hard be a little more than half drunk and be in a pitchblack room to see the original Dante in the new don'te. Just look at that one cutscene

fuck that guy may he rot in the pit of forgotteness.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'd like to second "The Goddamned" Batman and Jonathan "Let 'em Drown" Kent, and nominate Ugly Hobo Joker from Nolan's Dark Knight.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I never particularly liked what Ninja Theory did with Dante and Vergil. One was turned from lovable fun-loving badass pretty-boy to some punk who looks like drug addict and they turned Cool, calculating baller guy, who was stronger than his younger brother into some weakling putz, who for some reasons now shoots pregnant women in the stomach. Was it really that hard to NOT call this game Devil May Cry? Because without ties to far superior predecessor it would have been, well, not that bad of a game.

BUT my personal choice goes to Yuna from Final Fantasy X and what was done to her in X-2. In X she was well-mannered, well-dressed, intelligent, meek young lady with heart of a lioness. She was willing to sacrifice her life to give her people 10 years of calm, of peace, and only the fact that certain things were revealed (I ain't spoiling any of it!) made her change her mind. In X-2 she is, to some extend, brash, arrogant, wears short-shorts of purple leather/rubber... You know what, I've posted all of this so many times, I'll get to the point. You want to make sequel? Fine by me. But don't bastardise my favourite character. Make her, I dunno, Charlie to the Angels.