Your Most Hated Interpretation of A Character you like?

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
The weird tendency fanfiction writers have to make Albus Dumbledore into some kind of Tywin Lannister evil manipulator despite that making no sense whatsoever. Dumbledore is a pretty intresting character and fairly nueanced compared to most of the other characters so this vapid desire to be "edgy" or "alternate" just to look cool is silly.

Sep 24, 2008
President Bagel said:
OrokuSaki said:
The Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. Even more than the Superior Spider-Man, I hated this interpretation. He's just lacking the spirit of Spider-Man, he has no depth, he clearly isn't full of self-doubt or self-loathing, and he I just hate his face. I do. I really enjoy watching characters hit him.
Agreed in full. It seems like everything about the character was tailor made by a committee of what old fogies expect that 16 year old girls will think is cool. Even though he had the abilities of a professional skateboarder, and was in great physical shape, he still got beat up because... nerd? Nothing about the character gelled together. So many terrible ideas and personality traits that didn't properly fit together in any way. My hatred for the new Spider-Man films is mirrored by Movie Bob.

Also, pretty much every character in All Star Batman & Robin.
Springing off my earlier Spiderman love, Spiderman eventually has some type of sense of humor or joy in his life. Spiderman writers are just saying "I don't think he's Moping enough now" or "Isn't one of his superpowers that a rain cloud keeps flowing him everywhere? Because we can retcon that. It seems to fit the character better."

Relish in Chaos said:
Well...things might be looking up (especially continuity-wise), judging by the end of the film and the upcoming Apocalypse. How good it may be, only time will tell. Although, predictably, Wolverine (a.k.a. "Huge Ass Jack-off Man" *childish giggle*) will just hog all the action again. :/
The X-Men was always one of my favorite comics.

Mainly because I love Ensemble casts. you don't have to like everyone. You can find someone to like. I think that's what a lot of people did dig in the X-men comic books.

The writers seemed to just point at Wolverine and say "Good enough."

I don't like Wolverine. Never have. Colossus, Storm, anyone else that isn't revolving around Wolverine... Why take this amazing cast of characters and then put a scale against one Darkhorse and say "yeah, write them all in, but don't make them as important as one guy".

They could have easily just did 'The Wolverine' and I would have been fine with it. I would have avoided it because it didn't interest me, but I wouldn't be disappointed that they said they made the 'X-Men' movies but instead made 'Wolverine and his black suited back up dancers'

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Ishigami said:
Kerrigan in StarCraft 2.
Apparently someone read too many (bad) fanfictions instead of actually playing StarCraft.
It?s basically a guide on how to ruin a villain and be bad at writing.

Raynor and Kerrigan were no item, they were comrades. But as we all know this is an alien concept since they are man and woman there has to be sexual tension and a relationship? it?s the law!
Blaming Kerrigans heinous acts on the Zerg Infestation just destroys her legacy as a villain. Of course they had to do that because they fucking suck at writing.
They needed to ally all races for the imminent return/attack of the Xel?Naga/Hybrids. They couldn?t come up with a reason for the original Queen of Blades to join forces with Terrans and Protoss nor either of them to trust her so they pussified her and the Zerg alike by turning them into lapdogs.
Yea? fuck of Blizzard.
the relationship between the two is very well documented if you bothered to read any of the books that came out around a year before brood war hit, and yes that is the official story on those characters. Also your wrong the Zerg infestation was to blame for what Kerrigan did just not in the way you seem to of latched on to. Being infested lowered her inhibitions so all her suppressed rage, hatred, sadness, and frustration just took over all at once, to put it plainly she went nuts. Such psychotic breaks tend to be permanent unless the individual is subjected to a great shock at which point they can sometimes come back to their previous state of mind.
its also good to note that the Zerg would most likely have banded together with the rest even if Kerrigan wasn't leading them out of self preservation, I fully expect LotV to end with everyone trying to kill each other again.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Benpasko said:
I was really disappointed by Gamora in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. She's supposed to be one of the deadliest hand to hand fighters in the universe, she could beat the shit out of Captain America. That last confrontation with Nebula should have been a joke, but they made her massively weaker. Also the whole "being thanos' daughter" thing got their relationship dynamic very wrong. They had a very cold (but not cold?) relationship when he was raising her, and I don't think she could be referred to as a 'daughter'.
I will give Gamora credit for giving me one of the few smiles I got from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, when she pulls the knife on Main Character McDouchebag Asshole when he tries to woo her with his body.

OT: Oh my God, what the hell did they do to Alessa in the Silent Hill films? Especially in the second film where she goes apeshit on everything for no other reason than "the lols". At least with Heather they kept the basic teen angst over exerting attitude we seen from the game, it's just the crappy script that held her back. Say what you want about giving Harry a sex change, at least the actress tried to make it work. What even is Alessa in either of those films? I say this being one of those freaks who will say that the first Silent Hill film was a good film on it's own merits that fails as an adaptation. No different from say the two good Hobbit films. That doesn't make the pyscho fire girl any less jarring.

"I'm burning".

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Frank Miller's Superman. I know comics do the whole alternate universe thing, but its been on the record that he did Superman that way to take a pot shot at DC because they wouldn't let him write a book. I hate everything about Frank Miller's Superman from The Dark Knight Returns. I especially hate that this particular version is what spawned the contemporary belief that Superman is nothing but a government dog and that him and Batman should should be more hostile towards each other instead of the correct version of those two being the most absolutely unshakable duo in the entire DC universe.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
God said:
Infernai said:
God said:
call me a fanboy of the old Dante or don't but the new dante from DMC was just stupid.
Cid Silverwing said:
Predictable choice, but Donte from DmC.
While I agree with you guys...

I see your Donte's and raise you a Vorgil

To be honest I was trying to forget that he existed. They messed up so much with those beloved characters. But you have to squint really hard be a little more than half drunk and be in a pitchblack room to see the original Dante in the new don'te. Just look at that one cutscene

fuck that guy may he rot in the pit of forgotteness.
Like I said, I still hate the new Dante and the new DmC. But, compared to vergil, they at-least got Dante...closer to his original self. Don't get me wrong, he's still wrong and not exactly close to his old self and they ramped up his assholitude as well as making him suddenly go from "I don't give a shit about humanity" to "Humanity is under my protection and I give a shit about others" for...really no good reason.

But, again, compared to Vergil he was still closer on the mark to his original self...which just goes to show how bad things got.

Like I said, Vergil kind of had a big place in my heart and mind. So, while Dante getting screwed up was bad and hurt, it was their utter gutting and evisceration of Vergils character that hurt me more.

megaflash

May 28, 2014
Just going to throw this out there, the new Knuckles from Sonic Boom.

I've enjoyed my share of sonic games (and very rarely comics) over the years, and the one character who always interested me the most was Knuckles. He was strong, but didn't look like it. He had mission in life, protecting the Master Emerald, and no one would stop him, not even Sonic. He survived by himself fine before anyone else came along.

Then, they reboot him into an idiotic thug who makes a stupidity out of himself every time he opens his mouth.

I am not against the new looks, just the new personalities, if you can call them that.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Varanfan9 said:
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread
I think it's a bit worse than that, it betrayed everything the entire original film stood for. In the original film it's briefly mentioned that Godzilla was brought into being by nuclear bombs destroying his habitat. In any other film it would never come up again, but in Gojira it remained relevant through the visuals. The '98 film brings up nuclear bombs all of one time and it promptly became irrelevant, never coming up again in the plot or visuals, meaning that Zilla could be replaced by literally anything else and have it matter as much. I wouldn't have minded, but the film is populated entirely by cartoon characters, and keeps trying to be funny, and only succeeds at annoying me. In short, this image shows exactly what went wrong.

uncle_yuri

Oct 23, 2013
EVERYTHING ABOUT WORLD WAR Z.

This has definitely been clubbed to death, but it was still nothing short of a personal tragedy for me. So many interesting and diverse (kinda) stories, showing how different people from the world over dealt with the zombie apocalypse, and it gets turned into Brad Pitt actionhero-ing all over the world searching for a cure. The characters I wanted to see weren't even misrepresented; they were axed entirely.

And, lest we forget, the most gratuitous character butchering of the film - the zombies. The movie took the inescapable horror of an unthinking, slow-moving, inevitable menace and turned it into waves of L4D-style sprinters good for nothing but jump scares and action shots.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nazulu said:
I've always hated this interpretation of Samus. I knew exactly what was going to happen to the franchise as soon as I saw this. There will never be another great Metroid like Super Metroid now that the focus has shifted.
wasn't the last metroid game (chronologically) a GBA game?....if I recall her suit broke and so she had some hybrid thing going on with some parasite X...it was also the first incarnation of the zero suit?

inu-kun said:
Just about everyone in the DLC to bioshock infinite, from Elizabeth becoming a gigantic ***** willing to risk an innocent girl for revenge against someone who tries to repent to the black rebel women who know was actually a good person all along despite her trying to kill you even prior to that and destroying one of the best morals of the original game that people who go against oppresors usually end up as the new oppressors.
my only issue with the DLC was

[spoiler/]Elizabeths death...like FUCK man...it felt like a slap in the face given that Infinite was one of those rare games that hit everything on point...not mass Effect 3 levels of dickery but given how much things tend to dissapoint its nice to just have something good and NOT have its memory tarnished?[/spoiler]

I also gotta take issue with this point

[spoiler/] [quote/]and destroying one of the best morals of the original game that people who go against oppresors usually end up as the new oppressors[/quote]

this...on reflection feels kinda trite...its not a particularly deep "message" and I feel simplifies what are complex issues AND personally mirrors a certain...way of thinking that irritates the fuck out of me...as for Daisy Fitzroy one could argue the DLC took away some of her agency...its one thing to have her be a badass revolutionary turned jerk (which could have issues in of itself) its another to basically say "ohh I gotta die for the white girls character development" anyway thats a whole other can of fish

I mean I still love B:I as an emotionally driven game but it really doesn't have anything profound or insightful to say about politics...thats not what I'd take away from it[/spoiler]

Veldie said:
Lobo the whole taking him from being the main man to whatever that abomination is in 52 is horrible
I barely ever read superhero comics and I only know this character by name

but new 52 Amanda Waller.....come the fuck on DC (hence why I don't read superhero comics)
bartholen said:
Everyone in the Last Airbender movie.

/thread.
especially that boulder

it literally looked like the boulder floated on set accidently and no one bothered to edit it out

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Vault101 said:
Nazulu said:
I've always hated this interpretation of Samus. I knew exactly what was going to happen to the franchise as soon as I saw this. There will never be another great Metroid like Super Metroid now that the focus has shifted.
wasn't the last metroid game (chronologically) a GBA game?....if I recall her suit broke and so she had some hybrid thing going on with some parasite X...it was also the first incarnation of the zero suit?
Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion were said to come out the same time, both after Super Metroid. Fusion being the one with the parasites and the X's and the rubber looking suit, and when you beat the game you saw a Samus similar to the picture I put up, yes. Unless you're talking about Zero Mission.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Someone tried to say that Patrick Bateman (from American Psycho) was motivated by misogyny.
I only have the movie to go off of but that makes 0 sense. He kills men, in fact I'm pretty sure his first two victims are men and he spares a woman, so saying he's motivated by misogyny just seems like shoehorning in a stupid interpretation.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Oh wait Crash Bandicoot.

Any of the later entries that look like they're trying to make Crash some extreme sports kind a guy. Crash is lazy and not very invested in the evil stuff happening around him. His attitude seems to be "it's something I gotta do, then I get back and sleep". He almost seems clueless about how much a big deal the events around him are. I like that about him. It's definitely unique.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
Kanji from Megami Ibunroku Persona 4.
When dumbshits go: "He's not gay!" or "He's bi!"
Bitches, he's gay.
DEAL.
WITH.
IT.

They explicitly say so in the original Japanese, they STRONGLY hint at it at the end of his social link in the english. (Which ATLUS of America said they toned down his gayness so as not to pull the ire of the right wing christian machine.)
And even ATLUS has said repeatedly that he's a homosexual.
Bitches need to stop being homophobic.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The 2007 CGI Beowulf movie couldn't miss the point harder. Words from the directors and producers made it clear that they did not at all "get" one of the most amazing and hallowed works of literature and the oldest written work in the history of the English language.

Without going into full-essay mode (which I wouldn't mind doing but I doubt people would read it), Beowulf is not a story about a proud bad-ass fighting monsters. That's something that HAPPENS in the story. That's something that Beowulf DOES. It's not who he IS, and it's not what the story is at its HEART.

What makes the epic poem exceptional is the exploration of Anglo-Saxon period cultural values, the interplay of pagan vs. christian ideals, and the character himself is a true epic and tragic hero. Beowulf's true desire is for glory, but to him, glory is only found when one is fighting for one's people/friends. In the end he dies because he is unable to stop playing the hero; he says "If I can't do it, no one can," failing to recognize the potential of younger up-and-coming heroes in his midst. He even goes so far as to try to go into his last baatle alone, without any younger warriors or an army to back him up, because admitting that he needs help means he has to admit that he's not the man he was in his prime, that he's no longer the warrior-king that he believes his people deserve.

The movie feels like it read the cliffnotes plot summary, said, "This is a story about a proud badass who fights monsters," and then reduced one of the greatest characters in history to a meathead who revels in pride, lusts for power, and ends up getting killed because he made a sex-laced deal with a succubus-devil and it came back to bite him (cause when do these things ever not?). To quote Syndrome from The Incredibles, "Lame Lame Lame! Lame! LAME!"

If that weren't bad enough, they layered in juvinile, pandering crap like the Queen of the Danes being impressed by Beowulf's "endowment" (in the epic, Beowulf boasts that he will fight Grendel without his sword or shield; in the movie he declares he'll fight in the nude; FACEPALM) and digitized Angelina Jolie walking around basically naked.

P.S. If you did not get into Beowulf when you were forced to read it high school, please Please PLEASE do yourself a favor and re-visit it with the translation by Burton Raffel. Years back most of us were forced to read the Seamus Heaney translation which was, and still is, a stilted pain in the rectum.