Your most hated RPG status effect

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Poison, silence, stone, charm, berserk, and a multitude of others. What is your most hated RPG negative status effect and why?

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
A lot of it depends on -which- RPG we're talking about, but in general, Paralyze effects, as I mostly play Rogues, Thieves, Bards, and other classes who rely on their speed and agility to surive, paralisis murders me.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Aircross said:
Death Effects.

They never work on the enemy and they always work on you.
This, a million times, this.

Afterwords I'd probably say Berserk. It's kind of useless for a mage to be swinging a staff around, or you're "tank" character to be like, yeah I ain't using my shield or second sword for anything.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Zombie.

That heal you lined up? Yeah, it's going to KO that guy. Tough shit. And more often than not as soon as you cure it it gets reapplied, so you spend half the battle throwing holy water/other status cures at the afflicted party members.

Two close contenders, relegated to footnotes because they're not as common: Heat and Freeze (ff9).
Execute a command whilst afflicted with the Heat status and you die instantly. Get hit by a physical attack whilst frozen and you shatter, instantly killing that party member.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Aircross said:
Death Effects.

They never work on the enemy and they always work on you.
Nonsense! I instant-killed Odin in Final Fantasy 5 with a death effect.

My favourite is stone / soft. Soft instant kills stone enemies, stone instant kills a decent percentage of everything else. Works great in D&D based games like Neverwinter Nights as well as Final Fantasy and the ilk.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Ando85 said:
Poison, silence, stone, charm, berserk, and a multitude of others. What is your most hated RPG negative status effect and why?
In Final Fantasy games, Zombie. It's hard to resist, awkward to cure and a real pain the backside in a heated battle.

In most other games, sleep effects. My character is asleep in the middle of a battle. Really? You're serious?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Dark Souls' Curse effect, worse than a Death effect.

Otherwise yeah, Death effect; particularly annoying when a boss fight relies on them and it pretty much comes down to a roll of the dice whether you'll win or not.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Poison, in the Baldur's Gate 1.

If you got poisoned and had no potion, you were fucked, duration lasted forever, you couldn't attack cos you kept getting staggered, if you rested or travelled you died, and it was pretty much a death spell.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Valanthe said:
A lot of it depends on -which- RPG we're talking about, but in general, Paralyze effects, as I mostly play Rogues, Thieves, Bards, and other classes who rely on their speed and agility to surive, paralisis murders me.
Agreed 100%. My characters usually have low constitution and rely on avoiding attacks for defense. If I'm open to attack, then I'm probably going to die.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Instant death. Fuck your luck based nonsense.

Also, Silence in Labyrinth of Touhou and Persona series or any series in which status effects linger for a while and curative items are rare or non existent since it effectively cripples the character it hits ability to do anything worthwhile.

Hikaru CF

May 28, 2009
Confusion effects that make you or allied AI attack eachother/themselves like retards. The most annoying example is Pokemon because it means you waste your turn as well as getting damaged. Many a ragequit was had because of confusion on Pokemon when I was 10-14 years old.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Confusion/Charm. Nothing like having your party attack each other while the enemy also goes to town on you. Fun.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Zombie, but only because of that bullshit tactic used in Final Fantasy X by a later boss fight. Most FF X fans who got caught out by this know who I'm talking about.

But apart from that, Death Effects and fucking Confusion are my main issues. Death Effects because...well, it's an insta-kill and Confusion as it always hits me but never enemies. :p

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
endtherapture said:
Poison, in the Baldur's Gate 1.

If you got poisoned and had no potion, you were fucked, duration lasted forever, you couldn't attack cos you kept getting staggered, if you rested or travelled you died, and it was pretty much a death spell.
Agreed. And fear was pretty much the alpha male of dicking you over considering the 2nd Ed rules system.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Charm, had many a battle in Persona 3 cocked up due to this little gem. Instant death is a close contender though.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Sleep. Doesn't make sense to me, you'd think that being attacked by monsters or whatever would wake them the hell up.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Hikaru CF said:
Confusion effects that make you or allied AI attack eachother/themselves like retards. The most annoying example is Pokemon because it means you waste your turn as well as getting damaged. Many a ragequit was had because of confusion on Pokemon when I was 10-14 years old.
Aaaaand this. Confusion is EASILY one of the most annoying things in Pokemon. Mostly because you can't heal it through traditional healing medicine. You have to use one of your rare, hard to get healing berries if you want to get rid of it. Or switch out your Pokemon, and risk it getting OHKOed by a boss's attack. Fun.

Personally, I've never found insta-death attacks all that annoying. Maybe I just have good luck, but I find it fairly rare that they work on me. Plus, I learned very early on in my experience with RPGs not to use those kind of attacks. They just never work.