Your odd uses of sauce/cheese/spreads/seasoning

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Since I can't have anything with even the tiniest amount of dairy, or anything at all acidic (including tomato and/or garlic) I've resorted to putting just a tiny bit of soy or teriyaki sauce on pasta.
It's not an 'Omigosh soooo delish' sort of thing, but it is tasty. And it lets me use pasta.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I put mayo on my fries and since I was born in Maryland, I have an uncanny enjoyment and appreciation for Old Bay seasoning, which is good on just about anything in my strange and distorted opinion. I also like adding a lot of milk (or creamer) and sugar to my coffee and even enjoy adding some milk to my tea which is a sin itself depending on who you ask.

LostGryphon said:
I put steak sauce on steak.

Apparently, according to damned near everyone I've ever spoken to or eaten steak with, this is a cardinal sin and indicative of a lack of refined taste on my part.

>.>

Otherwise? Nothing weird, really. My mom put garlic and butter on almost eeeeeeveeeerything growing up, so I have an ingrained fondness for that combination. It just makes most things better.
I do this too...I don't see what the stigma is, considering A1 is freaking awesome.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I put mayo on my fries and since I was born in Maryland, I have an uncanny enjoyment and appreciation for Old Bay seasoning, which is good on just about anything in my strange and distorted opinion. I also like adding a lot of milk (or creamer) and sugar to my coffee and even enjoy adding some milk to my tea which is a sin itself depending on who you ask.

LostGryphon said:
I put steak sauce on steak.

Apparently, according to damned near everyone I've ever spoken to or eaten steak with, this is a cardinal sin and indicative of a lack of refined taste on my part.

>.>

Otherwise? Nothing weird, really. My mom put garlic and butter on almost eeeeeeveeeerything growing up, so I have an ingrained fondness for that combination. It just makes most things better.
I do this too...I don't see what the stigma is, considering A1 is freaking awesome.
Oddly enough, A1 also tastes good on bologna sandwiches.

And most of mine aren't really weird, but more "this puts normal people into sugar comas." My favorite cake, for instance, is basically a brownie-like base with caramel topping of some sort and home made chocolate icing. Between the cake and icing, there's a couple cups of sugar, a pound of butter, and at least a pound of powdered sugar.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Uhh... last Christmas I put jellied cranberry sauce slices (I get my cranberry sauce from a can, sue me) in biscuits (American, not English). Would have been amazing if the biscuits were of better quality. I plan on trying it again this year.

I also now mix the leftover bread crumbs and eggs from making chicken cutlets and cook it up with the cutlets. Tastes alright.

That's about as weird as I've gotten with sauce/cheese/spreads/seasoning. Unless you want to count the time I bought a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese and had it for lunch.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ever try putting barbecue sauce on waffles? It's delicious! Gives it a zesty kick that syrup lacks.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Eggs, marmalade and cheese on toast was a combo I used to have when I was younger. The egg doesn't really add all that much flavorwise, but it gives the toast a slightly chewy texture.

trollnystan said:
It's pretty common in Sweden I think, but I like to put béarnaise sauce on my pizzas
Béarnaise sauce on pizza can be quite good...if you use it as a dip and don't drench your pizza in the stuff. It gets a bit too greasy for my tastes.

Not to mention how guilty you feel afterwards.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I made a batch of mashed potatoes and added hummus for an interesting blend.

Cheddar cheese with sour cream mixed into white rice makes a great base for any casserole. Just add your favorite meat and veggies!

When I make homemade teriyaki, it feels incomplete without feta cheese sprinkled on it.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
I'm totally lactose intolerant and in love with creamy textures, so... yeah. My latest trick is blending avocado and hummus into my restaurant's Nirvana vinaigrette. It doesn't taste like ranch, but has a similar texture, so I love it. Also, silken tofu in my fruit smoothies, or avocado. Or both.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I dip my grilled cheese in ketchup. It's freakin' delicious.

As far as I'm concerned, you can put blue cheese dressing on pretty much everything and it makes it taste better.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Hot sauce + Chocolate or even Hot sauce + coffee. It is so good! just get a lower vinegar form for the coffee. Coffee creamer + Dr Pepper, drunk me made this due to drunk, drunk me and sober me like it. Thai peanut or Miso sauce on... literally everything. Seriously I added Miso to a crappy boxed chocolate cake and it was good I added it to Jiffy cornbread mix and OH MY GOD it was fantastic. Anchovy paste and literally any sauce. You know what i like? Caesar salads. You know what I can not find despite it being on millions of menus? Caesar salads. Anchovy is are not optional in a Caesar salad. If you think so you may as well say Chicken is optional in fried chicken.