Your opinion: How much has female characters in games changed (or not changed) in the past 2 years?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The Lunatic said:
CyanCat47 said:
Is that an excuse in a fantasy setting? There were no dragons either, or magic, and most videogame weapons owuld actually be incredibly impractical. Most high-level RPG swords are too heavy to lift, covered in impractical decorations or on fire/frozen/electrocuted. When you can have games where literal gods come to life as enemies, historical realism isn't really an argument you can cling to. if anything, the first couple of modern warfare games were unrealistic by featuring absolutely no female soldiers as opposed to acccurately representing gender statistics in the US army, and they sold themselves on simulating "realistic" warfare. also, women have fought in a lot more wars than you think, whether legally or covertly. The ones who did so legally needed the exact same level of protection as men, while the women who did so illegally in societies where they weren't allowed to fight would dress up as men, so if anything men and women having the same armour would be more realistic.
Well, my argument is towards "Realistic". So, no fantasy isn't realistic.

Though, I do think that ignoring the fact humans are sexually dimorphic is pretty lazy.

Also, women aren't "Frontline" units in any western army as far as I'm aware. They're permitted to serve as medics, or other non-frontline duties. In CoD and other games, typically you play the role of an infantryman, which is a frontline role.

Edit: Looking this up, in the US, an issue was ordered in 2013 to allow Direct combat roles to women. However, I can't find anything stating this has actually happened, and a lot of evidence appears to point towards them being unable to meet the requirements of infantry due to sexual dimorphism.
When it comes to fiction, the plausible is more important than the realistic. At the end of the day, it's the author who dictates what is plausible on their creations. Comparing their fictional world with the real one is just one kind of interpretation that carries no weight over any other, and it doesn't explain the author's decisions any better than interpretations more closely related to the author's personal life.

So, have you noticed if in the past two years the representation of female characters on games you played have grown more congruent with sexual dimorphism? Or less congruent? Or they have stayed the same?

Parrikle

Apr 9, 2015
The Lunatic said:
Also, women aren't "Frontline" units in any western army as far as I'm aware. They're permitted to serve as medics, or other non-frontline duties. In CoD and other games, typically you play the role of an infantryman, which is a frontline role.

Edit: Looking this up, in the US, an issue was ordered in 2013 to allow Direct combat roles to women. However, I can't find anything stating this has actually happened, and a lot of evidence appears to point towards them being unable to meet the requirements of infantry due to sexual dimorphism.
Just to clarify this, women serve in front line roles in a number of Western countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Norway and the US. Using the US as an example, a number of significant medals have been given to women for their efforts in combat, including the Silver Star to Leigh Ann Hester, and the Distinguished Flying Cross to Lori Hill.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
BeetleManiac said:
Except for those societies where that was a done thing, right?

It astounds me how many dudes think that shitty stereotypes and fictional movie/games are accurate history textbooks.
The amount of "Societies" where women fought in plate Armour can probably be counted on one hand.

It's pretty basic biology that you don't make women fight.
Right, because a woman's fingers are simply too dainty to handle the trigger pull of a modern rifle.

I mean, historical mentions of lady fighters in the crusades, Viking women buried in full warrior regalia, and fighting traditions with gals in Japan and China be damned, it's basic biology that women shouldn't fight.

End of the day, there are two main camps of feminist thought on the subject:
1) Women should have to fight same as men
and
2) Nobody should have to fight.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Gethsemani said:
So what if everything else about the game is "designed for me"? What if it is a game that's incredible in every respect, but has women so oversexualized that every time I see the Warrior Queen in her Battle Thong and Chainmail bikini I start giggling uncontrollably from the absurdity (truth: this is one of the things that ruined Kingdoms of Amalur for me, Alyn Shir's outfit [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q8DxHERhriw/UXG1PeWNevI/AAAAAAAAAoM/7_fb1wmJ6Dg/s1600/Alyn.jpg]was so stupid that I couldn't take any cutscene with her in it seriously). This especially when her second in command is wearing full plate armor and is standing beside her every time she shows up.

The problem is not about not liking a particular genre or type of gameplay. The problem is that the aesthetics are actively detrimental to the enjoyment of the game. For comparison, it is like being served a really great meal on a disposable paper plate with disposable plastic utensils. It might be the best lasagna you'll ever have, but you'll likely feel that the whole meal is somewhat sub par.
Nobody mentioned gameplay or genre specifically. I mentioned games as a whole, which includes gameplay as much as it does visual design and music and so on. You not liking any one part of what a game consists of, depending on the degree of your dislike, does indeed indicate your dislike of the game, despite it having other parts you might enjoy, and irrespective of their numbers.

You have a call to make. Do you look past that issue, or do you skip the game? In any case, the third option, that of asking the game to change because you like parts of it, is not rational. Clearly, there must exist games where nothing in them rubs you (or one of the chars) the wrong way, so you don't need to dwell on this one issue when instead you could be having fun with other games, supporting them, and helping their future flourish in the industry with more games like that being made.

Recently I became aware of this relatively new 16bit jrpg-inspired game for the pc. The spire work and gameplay seemed just my cup of tea. The actual character artwork, however, had this uncanny valley look where it was like a mix of comic book and anime style design, and looked just appalling. You know what I didn't do? Go and discuss how they should change the art in the game to more suit my tastes. I just specifically stated "the art makes me not like this game, despite everything else about it sounding awesome" and then I moved on to games which I actually liked, since that one issue was a big deal for me. I don't get why it's so hard to do that in any such case.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Parrikle said:
Just to clarify this, women serve in front line roles in a number of Western countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Norway and the US. Using the US as an example, a number of significant medals have been given to women for their efforts in combat, including the Silver Star to Leigh Ann Hester, and the Distinguished Flying Cross to Lori Hill.
Leign Ann Hester is a medic and Lori Hill is a pilot. Neither of these are infantry roles.

Infantry roles are still kinda up in the air.

altnameJag said:
The Lunatic said:
BeetleManiac said:

It astounds me how many dudes think that shitty stereotypes and fictional movie/games are accurate history textbooks.
The amount of "Societies" where women fought in plate Armour can probably be counted on one hand.

Right, because a woman's fingers are simply too dainty to handle the trigger pull of a modern rifle.

I mean, historical mentions of lady fighters in the crusades, Viking women buried in full warrior regalia, and fighting traditions with gals in Japan and China be damned, it's basic biology that women shouldn't fight.

End of the day, there are two main camps of feminist thought on the subject:
1) Women should have to fight same as men
and
2) Nobody should have to fight.
If you think that the role of a modern infantryman is just down to pulling a trigger, you're woefully ill-informed as to what exactly our military does, and you should probably educate yourself on what exactly the role involves before you give an opinion on it.

The reason women fail military requirements is things beyond their control, endurance, ability to carry heavy gear for long periods of time, ability to carry a downed fellow solider, etc.

The fact men and women are physically different is a pretty basic difference, so, I won't condescend to assume you're unaware of them.

In history, the equalizing power of a rifle simply didn't exist. As such, things like women having shorter reach, being shorter in general, having less muscle mass.

Wider hips means a higher Q angle between the hips and knees, which in turn increases the chance of injury from tripping or falling. Women also have lower bone density, further increasing the risk of breaking a bone from falling. (Something that happens a lot when you're being pushed around by somebody twice your weight.)

When it comes to upper-body strength, women have about 50%-60% that of a man. This is pretty significant when it comes to combat.

Now, I'm not saying "Women shouldn't fight", but, evolution has given them a form that's not good at it. If there's women out there who meet the requirements, they absolutely should be able to. But, in a historical context, we're talking about a time where nourishment was pretty poor, medical care even poorer and a woman's contribution to a fight was about equal to that of a 12 year old boy. There were likely better things they could be doing, and rather than risking getting themselves killed.

CaitSeith said:
When it comes to fiction, the plausible is more important than the realistic. At the end of the day, it's the author who dictates what is plausible on their creations. Comparing their fictional world with the real one is just one kind of interpretation that carries no weight over any other, and it doesn't explain the author's decisions any better than interpretations more closely related to the author's personal life.

So, have you noticed if in the past two years the representation of female characters on games you played have grown more congruent with sexual dimorphism? Or less congruent? Or they have stayed the same?
Well, when it comes to plausibility, you have to explain how a woman is capable of competing with a man despite her physical form being so much weaker.

Brienne Tarth, is a pretty good example of this. Her unladylike and generally quite manly figure is mentioned a fair bit. She's very tall for a woman and has spent most of her life training to defeat people stronger and more physically able than she is. She certainly doesn't win every fight she enters, and often ends up exhausted from relatively short bouts of combat.

I mean, if you want to go full fantasy, you could just argue that women are magically just as strong as men, despite having no physical differences from "Real world" women, but, frankly, I think that's just lazy.

But, overall, in the past two years, I'd say games have definitely been more keen to ignore the inherit physically differences and insert lazily made female characters over fleshing out and considering their weaknesses, I can't really conclude that lazy writing is a good thing, however.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
The Lunatic said:
You lower science to the level of a religion when you say things like that. Also...

and a lot of evidence appears to point towards them being unable to meet the requirements of infantry due to sexual dimorphism.
But no matter what, you won't show it to us. The argument that science proves through sexual dimorphism that women are physically inferior to men is a bullshit talking point cooked up and propagated by scientifically illiterate dipshits. In fact, the dimorphism in humans is very mild compared the thousands and thousands of other species in the animal kingdom, vertebrate and otherwise.
https://www.amazon.com/Human-Biology-14-WCB-General/dp/1259245748/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498613071&sr=1-1
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/09/10/marine-experiment-finds-women-get-injured-more-frequently-shoot-less-accurately-than-men/
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103
http://jap.physiology.org/content/71/2/644.long
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/see-the-skeletal-differences-between-women-and-men
https://www.aaos.org/AAOSNow/2010/Nov/research/research3/?ssopc=1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2100202/

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Dreiko said:
You're free to dislike and not buy the game then. Nobody is forcing that stuff in all the games and there's tons of games without it and nobody is forcing you to play those games, either. Why focus on the games clearly not designed for you? I don't go and complain about racing games to racing game fans or racing game devs, despite detesting them and finding them dull beyond measure.
But it just shows up in stuff that you wouldn't always expect it to. I don't play games like Senren Kagura or Criminal Girls or anything like that but it also shows up in stuff like Mass Effect. Don't ask me to cry for the deaths of my fellow shipmates when you just introduced an entire race of all-female-blue-skinned-telepathic-sex-wizards only a few hours before.

Realistic Shepherd: "Oh, I could take a job as the saviour of humanity and the galaxy. Nah, I think I'll get a minimum wage job on the sex-wizard-lady planet. Yeah definitely that."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
Ah, this discussion again. Everyone griping over the existence of the chainmail bikini in media, but rather than demanding male characters get EQUALLY skimpy armor, they want the removal of the bikini.

And people wonder why I think they have some severe hang ups.

And the realism argument is back too! You know, if it's REALLY realism you want
Ok, how about we replace "realistic armor" with "Armor that was designed to act as armor and not as wanking material." Fair compromise no?

And look, there are games where the wanking material works, but the over reliance on it is just stupid. And when games try to pull drama off when they're using that armor, oh god, it's such a tonal clusterfuck. Fire Emblem Fates is trying to have a hard family drama about a royal family torn apart. With the MC daughter that has an exposed crotch and ass crack and her big sister that has tits the size of her head and a very phallic leather strap between them. THIS IS A SAD MOMENT!
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/9/96/Camilla_art.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20170413013028

I mean...really!? Is she SUPPOSED to look like she's constantly giving a tit job?

Your comment about demanding men wear sexy outfits is really just suggesting the other side of the extreme spectrum. While yeah, there should be more sexualized men (preferably without being exposed to unsexy fying edits that women don't get exposed to.)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/663.873613-Mobius-FF-character-designed-to-be-less-sexy

but I feel like gaming as a medium over relies on sexualized design. I mean seriously, the number of muscular or plus sized women you see in gaming (that aren't flat evil characters created by lazy writers who make their bad guys ugly and their good guys beautiful) is way too scarce for my liking. And there are some settings where it just, doesn't, work. I mean seriously, have you played This War of Mine? It'd be utterly moronic with sexualized characters, of either gender.

Not saying sexualized characters have no place or that there shouldn't be more guy ones, I just feel like we need to expand our horizons. I can't remember the last time I saw a game with a female PC where she was either muscular or plus sized.

Parrikle

Apr 9, 2015
The Lunatic said:
Parrikle said:
Leign Ann Hester is a medic and Lori Hill is a pilot. Neither of these are infantry roles.
Not claiming they were infantry - just that they were front line.

Infantry roles are still kinda up in the air.
The first three US marine infantry women joined their battalion in January. However, my main issue was with your claim that women do not serve in Western defense forces, and that they do not serve on the front line. These claims were incorrect.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
In the types of games I tend to play, which tend to be japanese, or anime-style games, I have seen little change and I like it that way. I like my girls to go out into battle and be fashionable AF. Guess if I were to name a change it's that I see more outfit options being included, either as unlocks or dlc.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The Lunatic said:
BeetleManiac said:

Then again, the number of societies that all fought with encompassing skins of bronze or iron protecting them can be counted on no hands.

The reasons why people do it is dumb. I mean when it gets to the point where the same armours looks differeny pn different characters simply because gender it's retarded and the reasons why isn't defended by the idea that men are historicslly more likely to murder you and take your stuff. The two arguments to rationalize stupid game mechanics are idiotic.

People do not mafically miss the mark how retarded it is the same armour looks entirely different for who wears it and their gender. It doesn't dissuade from the argument people have about the merots of it and why ca't the same armour look the same regardless? Give the option where it doesn't happen. Where one armour looks exactly the fucking same... you know... rather the the slimy sensation you get when you realize game devs spent more time and money modelling how one guy's tanking armour ends up looking like one woman's skin tight bodysuit with ribbons and tassels and whatever mindfucky ideas they thought up.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
BeetleManiac said:
The Lunatic said:
https://www.amazon.com/Human-Biology-14-WCB-General/dp/1259245748/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498613071&sr=1-1
That's a textbook. I'm not going to spend 100 bucks on it just to have an argument with some dude I'll never meet in real life. However, if you could source a quote or two from it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/09/10/marine-experiment-finds-women-get-injured-more-frequently-shoot-less-accurately-than-men/
Actually reading that article, there are several criticisms about the research. For one, they were asked to assess individuals in their capability, but instead focused on averages using out-dated methods and data. The fact that the methodology was kept opaque is a red flag as well. Is there a place where this was published open to the public so I could dig a little deeper?

[quote0023]https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF5103
This study is about the differences in muscle fiber characteristics between the sexes, which is something I never actually disputed. Rather my contention is that there is a lot more that goes into athleticism than brute strength, and that's not the only type of strength you can train for either.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/71/2/644.long
This study focused specifically on the link between muscular strength and age, focusing on the elbow and knee extensors and flexors. Useful data certainly. But ask any performing strong man if the only muscles he uses to lift human being are the extensors and flexors in his load-bearing joints and he'll just give you a funny look.

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/see-the-skeletal-differences-between-women-and-men
Men and women have different bone structures. Again, something I never disputed.

This one I'm not entirely certain why you linked to as it's not about the point you're trying to prove, rather just narrowing down the origins of a common variety of sports injury. Could you clear this one up for me? What were you going for here?[/quote]

So, your point of contention was that human sexual dimorphism doesn't exist, but, now you're admitting that it does?

What on earth are you talking about?

If you must insist on information being spoonfed to you.

The women were approximately 52% and 66% as strong as the men in the upper and lower body respectively.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103

Women have 52%~ Less upper body strength and 66%~ Lower body strength.

This is cited from sources such as:
http://jap.physiology.org/content/67/1/24
A comparison between male and female bodybuilders.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.1986.10762192

These are are about the increased rate of injury for women, particularly around the knee joints. Breaking your knee in the medieval age was typically not a good idea.

"Female athletes who participate in jumping and pivoting sports are 2 to 10 times more likely to sustain a knee ligament injury."

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/09/10/US-Marines-study-Women-in-combat-injured-more-often-than-men/6121441908304/
https://www.scribd.com/doc/280017557/Marine-Corps-gender-integration-research-executive-summary
This stuff is related to the Washington Post article. Seems fairly accurate to me. But, I've no doubt people will look for holes.

But, I have to ask.

What as convinced you that women are as physically able as men, despite knowing they have smaller bodies, less upper and lower body strength and so on? Do you have any sources on this belief? Are there are athletic sports where women perform better than men? Do these sports have any crossover to physical combat?

Addendum_Forthcoming said:
The Lunatic said:
BeetleManiac said:

Then again, the number of societies that all fought with encompassing skins of bronze or iron protecting them can be counted on no hands.
Yes, both things should really stay in the realms of fantasy, don't you think?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Yes, both things should really stay in the realms of fantasy, don't you think?
No... because it's weird and other devs don't do it... instead spending time on things like gameplay instead of making one man's battle armour into one woman's skin tight bodysuit with ribbons and tassels. The hunter's outfit in Bloodborne kind of looks like the hunter's outfit, regardless. The gender differences are relative to post-modern fantasy interpretations of gothic and Victorian fashion. It makes sense. A sci fi armour that pretends dropping 100lbs of protective armour for a lycra bodysuit giving the same kinetic force protection is fucking retarded and devs spent time modelling it which is kind of gross and offputting.

Have it if you want, but don't blame others for saying; "Might stick to Soulsborne."

The reasons why people do it is dumb. I mean when it gets to the point where the same armours looks different on different characters simply because gender it's retarded and the reasons why isn't defended by the idea that men are historically more likely to murder you and take your stuff. The two arguments presented to rationalize stupid game aesthetics are idiotic.

People do not magically miss the mark how retarded it is the same armour looks entirely different for who wears it and their gender. It doesn't dissuade from the argument people have about the merits of it and why can't the same armour look the same regardless? Give the option where it doesn't happen. Where one armour looks exactly the fucking same... you know... rather the the slimy sensation you get when you realize game devs spent more time and money modelling how one guy's tanking armour ends up looking like one woman's skin tight bodysuit with ribbons and tassels and whatever mindfucky ideas they thought up.

Given the fact that it takes less time, and oozes a fuckton less Waifu sleeze... why not at least have the option? You can't tell me that is somehow beyond them? I also don't remember people massively complaining how a woman in plate armour kind of looked like everybody else in plate armour in Dark Souls was bad. Funnily enough immersion is a thing.

Because armour is bulky... whether now or then... and the people who think skin tight body armour somehow protects you more... how about a big fuck off ... the idea of armour is insulation and diffusion of energy across its performance weave and deflection of energy across steel plating inserts... not your body itself acting as a sponge. Funnily enough that leads to shattered ribs and internal haemorrhaging... when you get shot, more is better than less. This is why tanks are fucking tanks and people don't die when they're shot at while inside them. Funnily enough armour works best when it is better insulated and reduces as much diffusion of energy into your all too fragile body as possible (a combination of high performance mesh weaves, kevlar and steel as well as insulated performance weaves beneath for comfort and to cushion further against the blow. This is why armour is fucking bulky. This is why bomb armour makes you look like a real life transformer like this.

Funnily enough, this shit is gender neutral. And the guy isn't just fat.

As Critical Miss crew put it... there's players out there that want a bad ass character with non-fractional pants. Saying women weren't traditionally fighters (even if there are cross cultural records for it happening) to excuse players being forced to have characters wearing fractional pants is retarded. Maybe I like the idea of playing someone who looks like me that is just like all the men who are historically more likely to murder you and take your stuff and be dressed appropriately to meet those objectives.

Maybe I also like a game where the devs didn't specifically spend time on forcing me to feel weird wearing fractional pants because of my avatar's gender because it's thr best armour in the game? Immersion and all that. At the very least I have Soulsborne.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Huh. The discussion turned into the issue of sex appeal. Why am I not surprised?

Well, to answer the OP's question, have female characters changed in the last two years? No idea. That's too short a timeframe. Have they changed over a longer time period? Yeah, almost certainly - at the least, we have more female protagonists, and female characters tend to be more proactive. I don't have the time or inclination to go through every series I'm familiar with, and to be frank, at least in my experience, the games I've played have usually been partisan in regards to gender representation. Predominantly male of course, but still, if you asked me to nominate which are my favorite female characters from any series, sex appeal would be, at best, a cherry on top. Let's just say that I'm more inclined to be emotionally invested in a character like Princess Zelda (who started off as a walking plot point to a full fledged character with more characterization than the series's actual protagonist), than, say, Princess Peach, who from what I've seen, still seems to be content to wait for Mario to save her. Heck, at least Pauline actually made something of herself in New Donk City rather than being born into royalty. 0_0

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
jademunky said:
Dreiko said:
You're free to dislike and not buy the game then. Nobody is forcing that stuff in all the games and there's tons of games without it and nobody is forcing you to play those games, either. Why focus on the games clearly not designed for you? I don't go and complain about racing games to racing game fans or racing game devs, despite detesting them and finding them dull beyond measure.
But it just shows up in stuff that you wouldn't always expect it to. I don't play games like Senren Kagura or Criminal Girls or anything like that but it also shows up in stuff like Mass Effect. Don't ask me to cry for the deaths of my fellow shipmates when you just introduced an entire race of all-female-blue-skinned-telepathic-sex-wizards only a few hours before.

Realistic Shepherd: "Oh, I could take a job as the saviour of humanity and the galaxy. Nah, I think I'll get a minimum wage job on the sex-wizard-lady planet. Yeah definitely that."
First of all, I wouldn't put senran kagura in the same vein as criminal girls. SK is basically all about the most ridiculous fanservice you can imagine while CG is just a regular, good Jrpg with an innovative take on turn based combad and a storyline similar to games like persona, with an attached minigame (like a barnacle on a ship) that has bdsm overtones. In one game sex appeal is basically the entire game, in the other it's more of a distraction and 95% of the time you're playing a regular Jrpg with typical Jrpg elements that are not at all related to sex.

Secondly, I would say that your issue is more a problem with the common sense you use to determine your expectations of games than anything else. Clearly, reality refutes it, so you'd better adjust what you consider "a game where these elements may appear in" to include these games too.