Your Opinion of My Story

Grorgoloro

Jun 18, 2008
I have to write a paper about whatever I want every six weeks for my English class. I have to read my paper in class this time. I didn't want to write a boring story about my dog or vacation like everybody else does. I wrote this in a period of insanity. I wanted to see if this is worth reading out loud. Please tell me what you think of it. I would like to go ahead and apologize to all Canadians in advance. It may also help to know my last name is Cravey for the last part of the story.

They are two people in this class who owe me money. One of them owes me five dollars for a bet and the other has borrowed fifteen dollars for lunch. They will not pay me for the debts they have incurred. I do not take such betrayal lightly. I have a most horrible plan to unleash upon the world if I do not receive my money.
My first action will be to contact terror groups spread throughout Central Asia. I will convince them to aid me in a plot against what they will believe to be the infidels. However, it will be targeted at the two people who owe me money. We will infiltrate nuclear missile silos on opposite sides of the world. While the terrorists hold off the enemies trying to reclaim their silos, I, along with men familiar with missile firing systems, will launch the missiles in a direction that will make the missiles from one side of the world collide with the missiles from the other side of the world midair. The spot that they collide at will be approximately five hundred meters above the North Pole. The enormous explosion that follows the collision will completely melt ice. Flooding on a scale never seen before will occur in Canada, wiping out its population. Ice outside of the blast zone will break apart and float into the northern oceans, destroyed ships, and therefore trade. The world economy will be destroyed, making money useless. Those two people will find the money the stole from me worth nothing.
Meanwhile, I will buy some land and start a logging business in the Canadian wilderness. The demand for wood in the devastated areas of Canada for the building of new homes will make my business very important. I will offer the Canadians free wood. The Canadians would then rely on me more than their own government. When I know I have their complete devotion, I will declare myself king of Canada, which will then be renamed Cravia. The newly formed Cravian Army will then destroy any Canadian resistance and begin marching towards the two thieves in Georgia. Upon reaching and destroying Washington D.C., the Cravian Empire will take all of the United States under its control. Once that is completed, I will have the two scoundrels found and sent to work in a lumber mill full of mentally unstable prisoners. There, they will more than likely be eaten. Then, I, with my life's mission complete, will relax and take up the hobby of global thermonuclear war or something like that.

ellimist337

Sep 30, 2008
That's much more creative than the papers most plunk out for assignments like this. The only hole I see in your logic is that the money won't be worthless to the person whom you loaned it to, as he's already spent it on material goods that had value regardless of the value/lack of value of money. I'd run with this story though; you're teacher will like the creativity.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Um...I would suggest you take prescribed medication, JK.
Honestly, I don't like it. It seems like your character is completely unrealistic..and the fact that he is able to pull it all off despite the extreme improbability, stinks vaguely of Mary-Sueism.

For a story for English class, you will likely get an 'A' and a little note that says 'see me after class'.

Jobz

May 5, 2008
While I found your story amusing, there are a couple of plot holes:

1) You say that the destruction of trade will render money useless, yet state later that you are going to purchase a Canadian lumber mill. What do you plan on purchasing it with?

2) You say that the flooding will wipe out Canada's population, then claim that you will give free wood to Canadians with your lumber mill. Why are there survivors if the population was wiped out?

Other than that it's quite short, but perhaps it's meant to be. And unless you have a teacher with a similar sense of humor to yours, you probably won't get a very good grade for this. Actually, you may not get a good grade even still, you just might give your teacher a laugh.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Well, creative 'n all, but you need to make it smoother and add more cynicisim, or else you're gonna get some nasty pills which will make you unable to get personal insurance.

I suggest that you go look at the Hitchhiker's Guide for a good model on how to write the absurd.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Jobz said:
While I found your story amusing, there are a couple of plot holes:

1) You say that the destruction of trade will render money useless, yet state later that you are going to purchase a Canadian lumber mill. What do you plan on purchasing it with?

2) You say that the flooding will wipe out Canada's population, then claim that you will give free wood to Canadians with your lumber mill. Why are there survivors if the population was wiped out?

Other than that it's quite short, but perhaps it's meant to be. And unless you have a teacher with a similar sense of humor to yours, you probably won't get a very good grade for this. Actually, you may not get a good grade even still, you just might give your teacher a laugh.
I think the plot holes are to add to the aforementioned insanity =P

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
The last line is very funny.

The rest is 'meh', at best. Take some time to develop a voice, a strong character for your narrator. Work on making your plan flow better and flesh it out a bit. Don't be afraid to write jokes into the body of the piece.

I think a more effective punch line would be something like "And then, I, as emperor of the mighty Cravia, will ask the scoundrels who owe me money to kindly repay their debts, and intimated by my awesome power they will be helpless to ignore me, and I will be paid in full, plus interest. Then, I, with my life's mission complete, will relax and take up the hobby of global thermonuclear war or something like that."