Your opinion on Fallout: New Vegas VS. Fallout 3

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
|Snip consisting of big quotes and explaining that the West coast is low-density.
Hence why you shouldn't set things in the west-coast.
It's an inherent failing of New Vegas.

OakTable

May 10, 2011
Raddra said:
Tibs said:
I prefer FO3 by a large margin to NV. I loved the tone it had, the music and the scenery. Everything felt and looked better than NV in my opinion. I love nearly everything about FO3, NV not so much. Also, FO3 felt more open then NV to me.
This.

FO3 really felt like a post apocalyptic wasteland. I loved it.

F:NV just felt too.. non apocalyptic wasteland. It felt too modern.. or something. Dunno how to say. It just felt.. I dunno.. it wasn't fallout to me.

I felt it was a great game and I loved the changes to armor etc. The survival skill was a good addition (even though I disliked how hard it was to use it)but it didn't feel right.

It comes down to using the wrong aesthetics.
I wonder if people who say Fallout: New Vegas did not feel like Fallout ever played 1 and 2. I've seen far too many who said that and when asked whether they played the first two said, "No. But it didn't feel like Fallout 3, so there." Fallout 1 and 2 had thriving communities. Fallout 2's largest community, the NCR, had thousands of citizens. In Fallout 3, you have a shacktown built around a bomb (Which, by the way, is beyond stupid) inhabited by 20 people and a aircraft carrier with 30 or so people.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
For one, cities are based on which connotation they have. Vegas and most cities have a 50s connotation which mean they are stuck in the 50s. The only exception we know of is San Fransisco which has 60s connotations. In the 50s Vegas was tiny, so in New Vegas it was tiny.
You keep mentioning the 50's Baby Vegas. While the Fallout culture is indeed stuck in the 50's that doesn't have to mean that cities were the size they were in the 50's. More than 100 years after the 50's baby Vegas is it really plausible that the city of sin is still the same size.

I can't really speak for anyone but myself whe I say I was dissapointed at the size of Vegas and how it was cut into different areas, yes I know the game has limitations but my first reaction was 'Is this it?' when I got onto the strip.

To be fair though I have just got back into F3 and after 10 minutes wandering the wastes I thought 'I miss Veronica'.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I think New Vegas had the better story and characters but Fallout 3 had the better overall gameworld. Exploring the capital wasteland, seeing the ruins of DC just had more of an impact. Plus fighting alongside a giant robot that chucks nuclear bombs and spouts off anti communist propaganda is just pure awesome.

Story wise new Vegas did feel more like a proper Fallout game. Whereas Fallout 3 seemed more like a game made by fans. Fans who just happen to have access to millions of dollars, teams of programmers and coders, Hollywood celebrities, and a marketing department. Still I will always be thankful to Bethesda for reviving the Fallout franchise. If it wasn't for them this would have been the last Fallout game.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
Fallout 3 was much better modelled (it's obvious what Obsidian modelled because it typically looks jarringly amateur in comparison) had a lot more environment variety and the level design wasn't terrible.

A few of the people I know who have completed FNV never found the third section of Vegas with the Embassy, Vault 21 and Michael Angelo's studio. I only found North Vegas Square on my second playthrough. I had to use a damned online map to find The Thorn. McCarran is largely open useless space (seriously, cut out that middle interior section, there is nothing in it and walking back and forth gets tedious because the only warp point is at the gate) and most of the actual quest stuff is out of sight. You can walk in through the main entrance and out through the storeroom, looking all around, and not see any of the stuff there is to do! Helios One's warp point makes it a PITA if you miss array salvages. What is all that corridor for? It goes nowhere, does nothing. The School of Impersonation is the same, floor after floor of pointless rooms and corridors that just serve to confuse and waste time. I still can't understand how Gomorrah is laid out after three playthroughs, it just makes no sense. And there's just not enough side places. All that interesting stuff you find around in FO3 is replaced with either a poor imitation (i.e. a total maze or two rooms, they seem to have no middle ground at all) or miles of empty space.

In FNV, my dialogue choices have no real consequence and are totally predictable. Want House to win? Here's his quest line! Think back to Tenpenny Tower, and the surprise when it all goes to hell despite your best intentions. There is nothing like that in FNV, nothing.

All the quests conflict with one another and cause problems - try getting the Kings on the NCR side, it all breaks down when you get to the "kill NCR for Pacer" bit because that's what you're meant to be preventing! This isn't an intentional failure, it's someone just not actually thinking how two stories will coincide. If you can't smoothly blend two plots, here's an idea, DON'T.

Also, every single new feature Obsidian implemented is broken. The true ironsights don't work properly because the models were intended to be used from a normal FPS perspective and the asymmetry is obvious from the new angle. Even things like the bullet crafting menu is broken; mouse over the panel on the right and it'll rattle out a "scroll click" sound once a frame - that is sixty times a second until you mouse off. A lot of downright superfluous stuff exists too such as the Vault Canteen and the lightswitches in Michael Angelo's workshop.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a great deal of the game, but so much was broken or poorly done it hurt the experience compared to the relatively slick FO3.

Oh, and screw invisible walls, seriously. My map marker tells me to go that way. There is a clear path. Why the hell can't I then.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I'm kinda torn at which to choose, I like ironsights I liked vastness in NV but Fallout 3 was so damn fun. I actually felt like I had to survive for a little bit and work hard to get anything(good god when I first played repairs were impossible! that isn't a bad thing) I was giddy about the whole hardcore mode until I realized how easy it was to get everything. On hard difficulty with HCM it was just annoying fighting invincible brutes while I drink and shoot thousands of rounds. But Fallout 3 had some pretty lacking DLC except the Pitt I guess.

[Insert Name Here]

Nov 26, 2009
Fallout 3 is a bazillion times better than New Vegas, it didn't freeze every time I wanted to look around, it had a much better atmosphere and setting, it was more focused on the game than which tiny stat dictated my weapon's spread, the story was more engaging, and there wasn't an overload of pointless locations like there were in New Vegas. It felt like F3 took years to make, NV felt like it was thrown together in days.

greenitedaze

Dec 2, 2010
The Good fight remains with Fallout3. From birth to death, it journeyed with you, allowing you
to grow up, how you wanted to. New Vegas just went " hey you, wake up, someone shot you in the head, wanna find 'em? Oh and here's a deck of cards, cos' all we do round here is gamble, and get killed by giant wasps, good luck".

Oh, and Obsidian, here's a tip, don't wanker away all your time, with fanciful details, story and script about a town (New Vegas) that you eventually end up making the size of a sylvannian familiy house, idiots. I remember seeing concept art for the city, which at the time was a metropolis, imagine everyone's surprise to find a corner shop with robots!

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
reloading bench
more ammunition variety
weapon mod
iron sight

vs

liberty prime

Tied
damn

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
R4V3NSFAN1976 said:
Seriously, Play new vegas for a few days, then play fallout 3. Fallout 3's graphics are better than new vegas'!
Um those games are both on the same engine and use the same tools to create them. That means that the graphics are identical (barring updates to the engine to improve the later's graphics) and the only possible difference between them is actual level design (since level design contributes to how much you can show off those cool graphics). Additionally, you're going to use that one games looks better as an argument? really?
R4V3NSFAN1976 said:
Oh, and if you say that new vegas is better because of the new weapons and mods, well listen to this. Almost EVERY new addition to game play(i.e. new weapons, weapon mods, special ammo etc.) all of that had already been done by the modders of fallout 3. Everything that makes New vegas unique from fallout 3 was already done before obsidian began development on next game. There were new weapon mods, weapon mod... mods,special ammo mods and even desert mods for fallout 3.
And all the people who didn't get mods for the game, or bought it on a non-PC platform, didn't get these mods and thus their opinions based on these arguments are entirely valid.

As for me, I haven't played New Vegas and obviously can't make a call on which I like more. I imagine they are very similar and I doubt if Obsidian screwed the pooch so I'd imagine I'd think of them equally.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
For the quest, you do what you want not because what the developer tells you to do. You are not obligated to help NCR, the Kings, or do anything. Its free choice.
Er, no it's not. You're told by the NCR to get the Kings on their side. Your only real choice is to do their quests to improve your reputation with them. Part of which involves helping Pacer kill NCR. Do that and your NCR reputation is gone. Kill Pacer and the King is not happy. There is no solution. You can get one of the generals to give them resources and this seems to be the only way around the issue, it's so lazily implemented that it feels like someone last minute realised how silly it was to try and blend two totally incompatible plots and added a little deus ex General.

There's lots of quest crosstalk such as Young Hearts if you're trying to get the Boomers on Caesar's side, but at least in that case there's more quests you can do to sidestep the issue.

Um those games are both on the same engine and use the same tools to create them. That means that the graphics are identical
As for me, I haven't played New Vegas
Perhaps you should so you can see how jarringly amateur nearly all of Obsidian's content is compared to Bethesda's.

Johnson294

May 8, 2011
Fallout 3, by far, everything was better, dialogue, the radio stations by far, the cities (NV cities were dull empty and consisted of just a bunch of unnamed NPCs), the wasteland is much more interesting, some "locations" in NV consisted simply of an abandoned shack and a never inhabited bed (this made up about 1/3 of the locations), the quests and characters were much more memorable (really pretty much every quest in NV was boring, FO3 had you assassinating people for an old man, blowing up towns, murdering an entire skyscraper worth of people, going back to your vault and solving the problems, etc. I can't even remember a single quest in NV tbh...), the story was more original (you're near death and are on a trail of revenge, sooo original...), a better, grittier atmosphere, reputation is just awful and has many irritating flaws, karma in NV is broken (no karma loss for killing humans but you gain karma for killing ghouls...?), and not to mention the glitches, oh god, the glitches...

I can't really help but think the people who like NV better are just thinking it because of old Fallout and Obsidian nostalgia, as FO3 is really the better game in every respect.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Both are good for different reasons.
I love both of them and I honestly dont have a preferred one.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
Oh please, Fallout 3 did the same thing.
Did you even do the Omertas are doing something suspicious plot? You can say anything, ANYTHING to Cachino and it somehow always goes your way. And somehow rather than having you thrown out when you show him the diary (it's not like he doesn't have the manpower all around) he'd rather talk very, very loudly about it.

Nobody finds it suspicious, at all, that during the night in which a guy in full NCR gear shows up with Boone, the Khan leader who allied with Caesar is shot very loudly through the head while sleeping (not that anyone noticed) and command falls to the guy who adores the NCR so much he has their flag up in his tent even though they're enemies of the tribe.

It's just plot hole after plot hole. And durr lack of common sense when dealing with what are supposed to be humans. I quite often have to stop and wonder if the game REALLY wants me to act that idiotically given what the quest asked me to do.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
New vegas had more refined gameplay more weapons modds etc but it doesnt feel like a fallout game or a game set in vegas which is pretty big miss but I really liked the recurring characters from fallout 1 and 2 ie: marcus,the great khans and the NCR made the game feel like part of it was a tribute to veteran fallout players.
fallout 3 on the othere hand had a clear story clear goals and actually felt like I was in the ruins of DC, being in a wasteland where humans are scarce and the ones you do find will probably rip out your arm before you can even introduce yourself which made it much more immersive and i liked how you find herbert the tree shows the game in a timeline like these characters havent just stopped because the gameplay has and listening to there stories and them naming your past accomplishments also felt like a tribute to the people who bought fallout1/2/tactics. all in all i prefer fallout 3 but if the upcoming DLCs for NV then i might just change the my opinion

Edit: one more reason for liking fallout 3 well its THREEEEE DOG kiddies

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
nexekho said:
Oh please, Fallout 3 did the same thing.
Did you even do the Omertas are doing something suspicious plot? You can say anything, ANYTHING to Cachino and it somehow always goes your way. And somehow rather than having you thrown out when you show him the diary (it's not like he doesn't have the manpower all around) he'd rather talk very, very loudly about it.

Nobody finds it suspicious, at all, that during the night in which a guy in full NCR gear shows up with Boone, the Khan leader who allied with Caesar is shot very loudly through the head while sleeping (not that anyone noticed) and command falls to the guy who adores the NCR so much he has their flag up in his tent even though they're enemies of the tribe.

It's just plot hole after plot hole. And durr lack of common sense when dealing with what are supposed to be humans. I quite often have to stop and wonder if the game REALLY wants me to act that idiotically given what the quest asked me to do.
Yeah, I'm not arguing on those points, but if you really want to say Fallout 3 is any better in that respect, it's laughable to say the least. You're given absolutely no choice during the main quests, and while the side quests are well designed, most of them still have 2 different ways of ending them. Why would the stupidly nice Brotherhood help you if you're an evil bastard throughout the game?

At least you can choose which side to play on during the storyline in New Vegas.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
There is only one proper way to acknowledge this...

Too Early To Discuss.

NV DLC is not over, there is no game of the year edition thats bug-free out yet, fallout 3 will be the best one until NV is finished its course and polished to its fullest to be on level competing grounds, that being said, fallout 3 made me cry tears of joy at the wonderful memories(game of the year edition!).