Your Opinions on Windows 7

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Windows 7 of course has been out for awhile now and many people have switched but also many people haven't switched from XP for various reasons.

So what are your opinions on it?

also bonus question, why haven't more ppl made the switch?

For me as a person who had been using XP for 8 years, I like 7, a lot and I mean A LOT better then XP. :)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I really like it, I had been using XP for several years, but then I got into the 7 beta and haven't used XP since. Initially I did have some problems with sound drivers and total RAM, but most of those issues have been solved long time ago.
I still keep an unopened mint condition XP on my shelf though, just in case I'll ever need it again :p

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I really like windows 7 on my laptop. I'm going to format my hard drive on my desktop to get rid of crappy 32-bit vista and replace it with 64-bit windows 7.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
Only recently upgratded and so far I like it. Had a few issues with my graphics card when i 1st tried upgrading, apparently it doesnt like some ATI cards (yes there will be alot of ppl that havnt had an issue), but since thats been worked out its been running sweet, except for the 2 blue screens of death, but thats not too bad I would be more concerned if it was more regular.

As for why ppl haven't made the switch, I'm guessing since xp is stable and everyone knows how to use it and have set up their systems the way they like it, and not everyone wants to spend the money to upgrade. Well either that or ppl are scared of change. I only did because I wanted a clean instal of windows and my xp disc wasn't working.

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.

Aug 25, 2009
I like most of it. occasionally I'll get annoyed when something doesn't seem to be in the right place for me (sticky notes constantly having a space down in the toolbar, IE needing me to click the icon in the star menu) but I'm more convinced that those are signs of my lack of bothering about how things work.

Basically, I haven't taken the time to poke around and really adjust things so they work the way I want them. It's still better than XP though, because 7 works without the poking, whereas I didn't feel comfortable with XP until after the poking around.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
It's slightly better than Vista, which I found to be slightly better than XP.
Overall it is pretty nice, though.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Korten12 said:
Windows 7 of course has been out for awhile now and many people have switched but also many people haven't switched from XP for various reasons.
I haven't switched, because:

- main benefit of it for my needs is scalable UI (avalon) but A: I dont need that now, and B: It's available for XP too. It also supports some hw that i either don't need or which will only be useful in like 5 or more years to me

- on the downside, it is bigger, slower, i need to make much more changes to be halfway satisfied, the UI is confusing to me, it constantly tries to hinder me to get into control everywhere, some software/hw has issues with win7, and there are some changes under the hood (i.e. DRM-wise) with whom i do not agree

So, for my needs: Almost only downsides and no upsides.

My guess why so many others haven't made the switch, and why it will take win7 4 or more years to get XP under 20%: Because XP works okay to them, and ignoring the fancy (but to some confusing) UI, and security-measures with which not everyone agrees, there is no point for them to switch.

Now, before the fanboys will educate me why win7 is sooo much more secure and that i should switch because of that:
- My C: is deepfreezed
- I make a monthly backup of my system and data
- I've upgraded to common sense 2.0

So, you see, this setup is bulletproof. The system cannot permanently be changed without my explicit consent. Windows cannot even selfdestruct (it'll be the same after every reboot, down to every bit). And if my data for any reason gets damaged, i just restore from a recent backup. Win7 cannot provide me with any advantage beyond this.

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
I really enjoy it, but to be honest it doesn't feel much different than Vista for me. I didn't have many problems with Vista so I guess I got lucky. As for XP, it's different than XP and I like it better than XP.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mr Montmorency said:
I haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade from XP other than "It looks nice". I'm concerned that Vista and higher can't run some games for shit, and XP can do that just fine with a RAM and Processor upgrade at worst, and a driver download at best. If you have the newer ones, you're usually fucked because they simply stop using some types of rendering that are used in older games, or discontinue support for certain games on the operating system.

It's just simply worse and a waste of money when XP is perfectly functional as it is.
7 can run every XP game, runs faster.

XP is becoming obsolete, you shouldn't be worrying whether or not if they can run it you should be worrying whether YOU will be able to. Eventualy probably next few years, more and more games will drop the XP on the box and will be Vista/7 exclusives.

Just Cause 2, Shattered Horizon, and the highly anticipated Battlefield 3, will not support XP anyone.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
I think its great has a few here and there but overall pretty good. Only problem I've had so far is the windows "updates". Seemingly every time I install an "update" my system gets worse or either just down right breaks it. This is an isolated problem however no one else I know has these problems so its pretty good.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
I installed it on my new gaming PC when I upgraded, haven't had any significant problems at all (once I disabled the heavily annoying UAC).

Its definitely the way to go if you are buying a new PC.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Vista re-packaged with a few tweaks. Naturally it's a piece of shit, what with it being a product of Microsoft. The thing actually blocks itself... it said "Are you sure you want to allow Windows Security Check to have access to your computer's data?" which was a Windows Security Check window anyway.. what a retarded system

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
I recently upgraded from Vista Premium to 7 Professional.
I actually liked Vista, but 7 I feel is a lot better, on my system it actually uses half as much RAM as Vista, and It's got a lot of other nice features too.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
It looks like the best windows OS from an aesthetic and ergonomic perspective. I'm not sure how well it runs though, having never played around with it myself. It still doesn't compare to OSX, but it seems like a good improvement.

verindae

May 22, 2010
Well tbh at it's core 7 is a dressed up, tweaked and fixed version of vista. Shouldn't let that put you off though, it works damn well.
Reason a lot of people haven't made the switch though is probably because they haven't been forced to yet. The price for 7 is pretty high too (yes I know there's always piracy but lets not get into that one). I know a lot of businesses have no need for the updates and extras in 7, XP is smaller and lighter and suits their needs fine, the problem is one day there will come a time when the glaring security holes outweigh the benefits of staying put. Xp has a shelf life after all :p
Anyone who is a semi-serious gamer of course will be forced to move on one day, because DirectX moves on, XP is stuck with 9c permenantly.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I haven't switched, because I've gotten so used to XP. I tried Windows 7 on a different computer but it wasn't right, it had a sense of familiarity but I had no clue what I did.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Windows 7 is so much better than Vista and I really enjoy using it. It's a nice interface, runs well, and rarely crashes for me. So, yeah, Windows 7 gets a thumbs up from me.