your parents surprising reactions to videogames

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, my Nana was watching my brothers play their NES and they offered to let her try out Duck Hunt. She was terrible at it, but enjoyed herself, laughing and asked "How can I shoot the damn dog?".

Stinovitch

Apr 23, 2013
Well it isn't really a very high standard game, but my mom is lately becoming very good at Jewels Stars and I mean really good. When I was on holiday with my parents and some of their friends I used to play Jewels to pass the time and I only continued when I had all 3 stars. My parents both said I was crazy and there wasn't fun in playing the game like that, but I always ignored their commentary. Last week however I saw my mom playing the game. She had earned 2 stars and restarted the game. I was like 'why do you restart, you've got your 2 stars' on which she said 'Nah, I want all 3 of them'. She even found out on herself how to make large combos and stuff like that, which really suprised me.

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
Not all that surprising to me, but my mom calls every plat-former she sees "Super Mario". After all, the only game she's ever played was Mario Bros. for the NES. Every other game is just called weird or pointless[footnote]Especially Dwarf Fortress. "I don't get it, it's just a bunch of smiley faces moving around on the screen. Why do they turn red when they get close to the g's?"[/footnote], unless it has cartoon-y graphics, in which case it's "Shrek". No idea why.

My dad on the other hand was the one who got me into gaming. He was also the one that made my mom play Super Mario Bros. Everything I owned on the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis he would play with me. There was a thrift shop him, my papa and I would go to that sold games pretty cheap, so I ended up with quite a few.

Though I remember he got annoyed when my papa bought me a Spawn game. It was the only game I can remember that he disapproved of.

Wunderhund

Jan 16, 2013
I used to show my mother the demo theater from Metal Gear Solid. I was 11 at the time, and she was pleased to see me interested in something with "depth".

Funny enough, she kept asking why it was a game and not a movie, but she did get into it enough to request viewings of the sequels.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
My mom used to be very into playing the first RE.
I was the one reading the walkthroughs, and I would navigate.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
My dad watched me play a racing game when I was little. I didn't change gears for some reason so was driving really slow on gear 1. My dad was all "what are you doing?? you are going to break the gearbox!" It's not that good a simulation, dad.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
My parents were a little odd about games. Mom never really played them (except Super Mario Bros. and Tetris) but never saw anything wrong with them other than as being too expensive. She never tried to censor what we played since she knew that my brother and I could tell fantasy from reality.

My Dad got me into games when he bought our NES. I still remember him playing Castlevania 2 for an entire weekend. He also got REALLY into DragonWarrior, I think it reminded him of when he used to play DnD. He loved the game rooms at truck stops when he was a long haul trucker. He had characters on every Gauntlet Dark Legacy cabinet we saw, was very good at Mortal Kombat 3 (though only with Baraka for some reason) and Primal Rage (always played Chaos. He loved the Power Puke and Fart Cloud attacks) and once beat Tekken Tag tournament on one set of quarters using Marshall Law (can't remember who his other character was because he never needed to use him) He doesn't play much anymore but enjoyed watching my brother play Infamous and the first 2 Uncharted games. He watched him play Borderlands 2 for a little bit but he stopped cuz he can't stand Claptrap.