Your Persona 5 best girl and why?

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I plan on getting Persona 5 one of these days, and I may, or may not, get that special Valentines Day scene.

For if I decide not to be a cheating bastard, who would you doods say is best girl, and why?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Both Makoto and Futaba start out as "best girl", but then eventually fall into their anime archetype (like every other character in your team). I guess Doctor Tae Takemi retains her charm throughout most of the game. I never finished it though.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Excuse me for the naivety, but what exactly is the main drive of this game? I know I could just look up a description but would rather hear players' opinions.

It kinda sounds like one of those dating/hentai joints, only mainstream and not as explicit.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Futaba and Makoto are definitely the "go-to" girls of the game. Futaba is freaking adorable with her weirdness and innocence, and Makoto gives off an air of competence you don't see too often in the game. Any deeper and we're jumping into spoiler territory on just about every front.

Personally though, I love Futaba and Kawakami's, from what I've seen anyway. Kawakami's entire subplot is just fantasy fuel, and I loved it. I am not going to tell you who Kawakami is though if you don't know, so you can just enjoy the surprise when you meet her.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Excuse me for the naivety, but what exactly is the main drive of this game? I know I could just look up a description but would rather hear players' opinions.

It kinda sounds like one of those dating/hentai joints, only mainstream and not as explicit.
It is actually a challenging RPG where any random battle (at the appropriate level) has the chance to give you a game over. So most battles actually require thought, since you generally have to watch out for your weaknesses while abusing the enemies so you can wipe them out as soon as possible. It's also oooozing with style in every single area. Loading screens are great to look at, menu's are crisp and fit the theme of the game, the music is god tier, the english voice acting is good. And not just passingly ok, it's good. Except for the pronunciations of japanese names, which for some reason are all done poorly.

Honestly, it's a well crafted life sim with supernatural departures, and rpg mechanics. You can go to the movies, work a part time job, play video games, read books, study for school, go to the gym, jump into the subconscious of the populace and fight personal demons, and more.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:

The point is to level your character, fight monsters and clear dungeons. There is no hentai (in the game, probably tones on the internet) and the dating stuff is mostly team building stuff that gets your party members abilities and helps you in dungeons. As you hang out with various people you level up your social rank with them, the female ones generally end with the option to ask them out properly, but you don't need to with any of the girls if you don't want.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Bobular said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

The point is to level your character, fight monsters and clear dungeons. There is no hentai (in the game, probably tones on the internet) and the dating stuff is mostly team building stuff that gets your party members abilities and helps you in dungeons. As you hang out with various people you level up your social rank with them, the female ones generally end with the option to ask them out properly, but you don't need to with any of the girls if you don't want.
So there is dating as a meta game of sorts. I should probably watch a Let's Play sometime to see how this all fits together. I've just heard it's one of the more innovative games of late and on quite a few peoples' GOTY lists.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Makoto. Best awakening of the bunch. Smart, loyal and strong. Unlike some of our members, she totally gets what I wanted the Phantom Thieves to focus on, directing us at a yakuza drug kingpin that we wouldn't have even tried for otherwise (and whose Palace had the catchiest music). I wish I'd gotten the opportunity to basically announce 'Queen is my second-in-command. If something ever happens to me, she's the new leader of the Phantom Thieves'.

I also wish the game hadn't ended so abruptly with 3 months left on the calendar that I assumed could be used to further develop Social Links, but oh well.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011

Futaba. Maybe it's cliche, but yeah, shock that the nerdy shut-in would find a like spirit in a nerdy shut-in.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
I've just heard it's one of the more innovative games of late and on quite a few peoples' GOTY lists.
No. No it's not. It's simply a JRPG with a hefty dose of style. In terms of mechanics it's really nothing to write home about. Final Fantasy 10 is mechanically still a better JRPG.

Even the story, which I assumed would have most of the craziness, was pretty bog standard anime fare. It falls into this disappointing habit of introducing a new team member, giving them an intriguing enough personality where they're wrestling with their own inner demons, and then once their moment is over they're relegated to an archetype.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Makoto followed by Haru... Which probably says something interesting about my taste in women :p

The former's brainy and adorkable, the latter's sweet as a cinnamon roll and regular adorable.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hifumi. I love how she starts treating Shogi like she's in YuGiOh. It was so adorkable.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
DeadProxy said:
I am not going to tell you who Kawakami is though if you don't know, so you can just enjoy the surprise when you meet her.
Appreciate it, but I know who she is. She's your teacher, who works as a maid on the sly.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:

As far as the main plot goes, it's kinda like supernatural Robin Hood (except, instead of stealing from the rich & giving to the poor, you steal the hearts of corrupted people in physical manifestations of their mindscapes, and do so to rid them of their inner corruption).

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I've noticed Makoto is one of the more common choices here. I'm in two minds about that.

On one hand, from an outward glance, she seems like my type. On the other hand...:

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yo guys! WTF! Futaba is too young bros. Besides Ann has the best tits, so she is the obvious choice. Derp.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Yo guys! WTF! Futaba is too young bros. Besides Ann has the best tits, so she is the obvious choice. Derp.
To be fair, a nice rack isn't everything. Anything else you like about Ms. Takamaki?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
DarklordKyo said:
CritialGaming said:
To be fair, a nice rack isn't everything. Anything else you like about Ms. Takamaki?
What? I'm sorry i was looking at boobies.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
shrekfan246 said:

Futaba. Maybe it's cliche, but yeah, shock that the nerdy shut-in would find a like spirit in a nerdy shut-in.
What're you talking about?, you're correct, Chie is the right answer.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Aren't they all technically too young, since they're in high school? I mean, we are all basically sqeezing on 16-year olds here.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
CritialGaming said:
Aren't they all technically too young, since they're in high school? I mean, we are all basically sqeezing on 16-year olds here.
Well Makoto is a year older than you. So she'd be 17-18. Futaba is like 13-14 or which is just....no man no. Ann I give a pass because my "character" is that same age so it's fine.

It does also get weird if you bang the teacher or the doctor though. Just in reverse.