Your Personal Favorite (or those you consider underrated) Shop Keepers/Shops/Upgrade Stations in Games

Your favorite shopkeeper or shops in gaming?

• RE4/RE4R Merchant

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Tatiana - Evil Within 1 & 2

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Christopher - Shadows of the Damned

• Devil May Cry Divinity Statues

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Rapture Upgrade Station

• Ishamura and The Sprawl Shops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We've all been there. There's a game with a shop/upgrade system, and it's given a personality or atmosphere, because of the character running it, or where the shop takes place. My personal favorites are Tatiana, Christopher, and Maury the Traveling Chef. We all know people love the RE4 Merchant, so I wanted to gush about other characters. As far as regular shops or upgrade stations: all of the ones from Devil May Cry have a unique theme and interface. I am not counting DmC's, btw.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
How can you beat "what are you buying. Hehehehe". Everytime I see someone in a trench coat that's all I can think of.

I could never be a shopkeeper/cashier because of that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Off the top of my head:

-Hachi (Advance Wars)
-Anna (Fire Emblem)
-Happy Mask Salesman (Legend of Zelda)
-The Merchant (Resident Evil)
-Abathur (StarCraft)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I like how Exile 3 had one merchant that comes from a family of identical looking merchants, all with the same name. It's not the same one used over and over in different towns, honest.

And another merchant that has amnesia and they aren't sure they are in the right town, or should be selling stuff in some other town.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The merchants in the later Might and Magic games who got sniffy with you once you had a lot of gold but didn't buy anything. But mostly the travel stations. I sometimes still say 'and we're off' in the M&M voice when I go out.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
What can I say, I love that guy.

For no reason, I guess. But the Bitmap Brothers really had a style.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Have always had super soft spot for Zelda potion shops, shopkeepers and shop musics. The twin hags potion shop in Majora's Mask is not only pleasant and chill, but also has the music of immortal cosmic ear worms...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shit, I forgot about Rodin! What's more awesome than cool shopkeeper? A cool shopkeeper you can have an optional fight in each title! For the cost of 9, 999, 999 Halos (Chimera Seeds in 3).

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Brok & Sindri from GoW/Rangnarok

Nomadic Merchants in Elden Ring

I feel sorry for them when they say stuff like this in their weak old man voice -

• Welcome. Valued customer... Come trade, in our wandering emporium. Please, buy something... I'm hungry. I've been hungry so long. Please.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I do so love the racist vending machines from Bioshock. Always puts a smile on my face to hear that over the top voice line.

For most of the Zelda games he's been in, I've not been fond of Beedle, but his incarnation in BotW was really charming to me and I think seeing a friendly face all over the map was nice and comforting for me.

Ah, the two bots from Metal Arms were also good with their music and the way the big guy would fold out their table. And despite how frustrating it was, I also kind of enjoyed the sort of "mini game" of trying to save up money for the right purchases from them at the right times. Stockholm Syndrome, I guess.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Nothing quite matches the velvet room.

Most shops you tend to be in and out of pretty quick but you spend so much time fusing and upgrading stuff in this place.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Every shop in Steamworld Heist is located in a bar where a random Steam Powered Giraffe is either played on the radio or performed live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Viktor Vektor's ripperdoc clinic. Its just one of many, many places V can get mods in Cyberpunk 2077, but due to some of the story's key emotional beats taking place there and interacting with him....it feels like visiting an old friend.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really like Rivet's universe version of Ms. Zurkon.

Last edited: