Your Personal Greatest Games of All Times And/Or Personal Greatest in Specific Genre(s)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not much else needs to be said here folks. What is your greatest games of all time list? The list can be subject to change and updated as much as you like.

EDIT: I had to edit my list down three different times. I forgot about Evil Within 2, so I removed Time Crisis 3. Contra 4 is now in the list too. I completely forgot about it.

My List:

chart (4).png

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I started at 43 and it was a lot of work paring it down to 25.

Nethack
Undertale
Planescape: Torment
The Stanley Parable
Outer Wilds
Disco Elysium
Noita
Tunic
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Paper Mario
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Persona 4
Mother 3
Journey
Dark Souls
Dragon Age: Origins
Portal
Bioshock
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Ghost Trick
The World Ends With You

There were tearful choices to be made like cutting TTYD, but I think this is what I feel is right, at least at the moment. Funny I don't share a single game with Brawlman, not even in my top 43. Actually I haven't played a single game on your list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just goes to show how completely different our tastes in games are.
A lot of your lists are Nintendo games. While I am a fan of Nintendo and their game, a lot of my games are either Arcade (Style), from Sega, Capcom, or Platinum. Similar to Max, my brother and I played a lot of Capcom and Sega games growing up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sorta-ish chronological.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Metal Gear Solid 1
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Tekken 3
Silent Hill 1
Silent Hill 2
Onimusha
REmake
Resident Evil 4
God of War 1
God of War 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Super Mario Galaxy
Final Fantasy 10
Okami
Portal
Half-Life 2
Mass Effect 1
Uncharted 2
Infamous 1
Infamous 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Journey
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Witcher 3
Hollow Knight
Resident Evil 2 Remake

And what rests I'd consider too fresh and subject to recency bias. There's also a bunch of games that I wouldn't call my personal best that that I still look back on very fondly as I experienced them first, like Zone of the Enders, Tenchu, and Dynasty Warriors 2 (actually the very first Playstation 2 game I ever played, so yeah).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Personal greatest games, ok. I generally count very similar sequels together, so...

Civ 4
Dawn of war
Dawn of war 2
Street fighter 2 turbo
Worms
Tekken 2
Gran Tourismo 2
Fallout NV, 3, 4
Skyrim, Oblivion.
Borderlands 2
Total Warhammer 2
GTA 5
Xcom 2
Secret of Mana
Goldeneye
Resident evil
Aliens Vs Predator (the old one)

Notable mentions. Maybe not "greatest" but definitely had something that they did really well.
Battlefleet Gothic 1&2
Guild wars 1&2
Galactic Civ 2

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In the order I thought of them.

1. Undertale
  2. World in Conflict
  3. Heroes of Might and Magic V
  4. Hollow Knight
  5. E.V.O.
  6. Final Fantasy 2/4
  7. Final Fantasy 9
  8. Freedom Planet 1/2
  9. Hedon: Bloodrite
  10. Cultic
  11. Blood
  12. Quest for Glory 3
  13. Dawn of War 2
  14. Half Life 2
  15. Monster Hunter Stories 2
  16. Shovel Knight
  17. Shadow Run Dragonfall/Hong Kong
  18. Return to the Obra Dinn
  19. Project Wingman
  20. Hardcore Mecha
  21. Metal Slug X
  22. Golden Treasure: the Great Green
  23. ZeroRanger
  24. Half Life Alyx
  25. Soul Blazer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aliens Vs Predator (the old one)
The old one kind of doesn't narrow it down. The arcade beat em up, the Jaguar fps, the pc fps (or its sequel), or the ps360 one?
Thanks, I forgot to ask him on that one.

Major respect for you. I do consider Tekken 3 better, but Tekken 2 has the best soundtrack of the arcade/PS1 trilogy. I honestly prefer the soundtrack in Tekken 2 more than 4, 5, 6, and especially 7.

Resident evil
I assume vanilla RE1 on Playstation.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
The old one kind of doesn't narrow it down. The arcade beat em up, the Jaguar fps, the pc fps (or its sequel), or the ps360 one?
The PC FPS. Getting to play as all 3, especially the xenomorph (although slightly nausea inducing), was great.

Major respect for you. I do consider Tekken 3 better, but Tekken 2 has the best soundtrack of the arcade/PS1 trilogy. I honestly prefer the soundtrack in Tekken 2 more than 4, 5, 6, and especially 7.

I assume vanilla RE1 on Playstation.
I had forgotten that aspect of it. Listening to the soundtrack now. Brings back memories of sitting, frittering away the days after I left school playing vs mode with friends.

Yes, that's the one. There's just something about the 'haunted house' setting and the terrible dialogue that the sequals never managed to live up to it for me.

I should also add Tenchu to the list. It had it's flaws, but the atmosphere, the open levels, just the concept overall... Not sure I'd have the patience for the hideous controls nowadays though.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
There's a lot of time left till the end of time, and my opinions shift too much to confidently place a stake anywhere particular like all those people do with their numbers and stuff. Am already starting to hate this very post as I type the insufferable bastard. SOMA got under the skin and never left, but more as narrative than game. Others too. May return with more formulated thoughts in future, brain is currently a fuzzball I don't trust communicating words with minimal potential misinterpretations. 😇

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
chart.png

My list, all in order of favourite.
I did have to cheat a tiny bit on this list. I can't pick just one Monster Hunter or one Dance Dance Revolution. Those all get the series treatment. I also made sure not to double up with multiple games in a series at once. (Metroid, Zelda, and Ys couldn't have multiple spots, for example)
Funny thing is, I did a top 100 list, and my document info says I made it on April 30th of this year. Looking back at it, I definitely need to curate it and re-arrange it already... The Persona games for example got bumped off the top 25, which is surprising to me. Undertale and Deltarune were on there too. But I look back at the list I just made, and... damn a lot of these games hit hard.
My last pick is pretty nostalgia fuelled though. Aerofighters Assault is kind of jank and runs at sub 10 FPS half the time and sub 20 FPS during the rest. Despite that, I love it. Its music still kicks ass. Shame that it's the composer's only credit, cause he did a great job

Last edited:

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Ok, adding snazzy chart, now that I know how to do so

chart.png

Added Il2 Sturmovik. Not something I have played for a long time, lacking a joystick these days, but I feel it's the greatest of flight Sims.

Music on the PlayStation. Not really a game as such but to bring a sequencer, drum machine, effects, keyboard of sorts etc program to a console... It made people, including me, realise that sequencers etc weren't quite so daunting after all and we might be able to make some music ourselves.

Alien breed and Guild Wars, maybe not games I would consider "Greats", but certainly very good/memorable for certain reasons. Plus I needed to fill the last 2 gaps...

...maybe I would consider Guild Wars great. I actually remember the story, the opening hook was really cool, the world design, especially the oriental and African themed expansions, it's managed to keep going into Guild Wars 2. It's just that the actual gameplay is just kind of adequate. If it had had action mmo gameplay like some of the later MMOs I would have considered it a great, hands down. Maybe it's not fair to mark it down for not being ahead of it's time, but then maybe that is in many ways what makes a great. /incoherent ramble.