Your phone can send you an alert if you were near someone who has coronavirus

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The location data is probably used to track trends and hot spots so they can do targeted lockdowns and investigations if outbreaks consistently occur in certain places.
I know the UK one only collects location info when you scan a QR code at various places.

What that can do is help Track and Trace by saying who was at said venue if an infected person was also there and the potential for contaminated surfaces was about. So they can trace the person and ask what time they were at the location then contact people to see when they were there to determine if they were potentially exposed.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You know while not an unreasonable question, I’m struggling to remember the last time I loaned a phone to someone at all. It’s not like the Nokia 3310 days where the worst it may have on it is a spicy text message. Phones now contain all our personal details and even credit cards if you’re so inclined. It’s like handing over your wallet. It’s just not the done thing.
I can see it maybe if you have kids and they don't have their own phone yet but otherwise yeah you're generally right.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Yet my state doesn't have it, but if you have it in your state, I would immediately download it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Funny in my state of Ohio, when I got Covid-19 they didn't even attempt to do contact tracing, they just send me on my way out of the emergency room.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Haha if that scares you, check out the CovidSAFE app here in Australia.

That's been on my phone most of the year and it's fine. Contact tracing is okay, its not the end of the world. It's a special measure for a special time. Theres half a dozen normal things happening that'd be horrifying outside a pandemic. Like when I heard the term 'illegal dinner party' on the news, during normal times that'd be terrifying but right now its okay just like this so chill out.

Last edited: